First trailer for BBC's modern-day Sherlock Holmes

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: First trailer for BBC's modern-day Sherlock Holmes

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Moriarty SUCKED. Really really sucked.
The rest of the episode was great, especially compared to the dragging & generic second episode.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I quite liked him, to be honest. It was the same sort of logic behind the selection of John Simm as the master in Doctor Who to face off against Tenant. I didn't like it at first, I thought the voice was silly, but it has actually grown on me. It's like a cross between Darth Vader and Graham Norton. I enjoyed the cliff hanger, and it certainly made more sense than the cliche of 'here's a warning, now I shall leave you to foil me'. I felt that the orange pips thing was a bit of a crowbarred reference and an unnecessary one - they could have saved it for a later show, as I think it has now been confirmed for a second series. If I really felt like a nitpicker, I'd also ask how Holmes, who watches no daytime tv, can make references to Jim'll fix it. Now then, now then. Oh ho!

It's been a great three episodes, with the middle one being a bit pants as I think most have agreed, I'm keen for more, especially as they've got a lot to work from. I just hope they don't go down the route of having everything be Moriarty's doing, or just mashing in references for the hell of it.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well I'd been watching them with the family a week behind. So Just go finished on the last episode. I think they actually got worse as the weeks went by. The first one served as a great introduction and I actually found the second one quite enjoyable though slightly far fetched.

The finale didn't really seem to hold my interest at all. I didn't like the lots of small mysteries format, as it emphasises the super awesome, always right deductive power of Sherlock. Which quite frankly is a bit boring after a while. At least the mysteries he takes the whole episode to solve seem to tax him some what.

When ever he does the 'tell you everything there is to know about anything via a brief (impossibly accurate and detailed) observation' thing I can't help think of Sam Vimes' thoughts on the subject of clues.

The case of the painting particularly annoyed me. He leaps to one conclusion be can't prove it so he just yells that he knows its a fake and that's enough rather than consider the possibility that he might... you know be wrong.

Also time seems to jumps about with little reason. 9 Hours of the old lady's timer seemed to disappear with Holmes and Watson doing anything.

Also the texts popping up on the screen are usually too small to read easily. Not everyone has a massive telly, BBC.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Also the texts popping up on the screen are usually too small to read easily. Not everyone has a massive telly, BBC.
How small is your TV then?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Small enough that reading that text from across the room required pausing the playback and leaning forward for a better look.