What are the biggest WTF moments you've ever seen in fiction

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Re: What are the biggest WTF moments you've ever seen in fic

Post by Superman »

Brad Pitt playing Hercules in Troi was a big wtf. Actually, that entire movie was one big wtf.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

:? Uh, he played Achilles, not Hercules.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

The Spartan wrote::? Uh, he played Achilles, not Hercules.
See, that's how much that movie blew. :mrgreen:

Same level of WTF though.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Why exactly? I've seen it once and that was years ago. I can't think of anything in particular that would make Brad Pitt for Achilles, who was said to be athletic and handsome as I recall.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The Spartan wrote:Why exactly? I've seen it once and that was years ago. I can't think of anything in particular that would make Brad Pitt for Achilles, who was said to be athletic and handsome as I recall.
I would also like to hear why it was so bad. It of course did not follow Homer very closely, but otherwise I found it to be a fairly entertaining pseudo-historical spectacle. Nothing very strange or out of the ordinary in the plot, which would count as WTF for me. Generally good acting and suitable actors for their roles, even Brad Pitt. Certainly much better than 300, or Alexander.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Oooo, uh, that should have read, "make Brad Pitt wrong for Achilles."

Whoops!
Soy un perdedor.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Titanic: Just so we have no doubts whatsover about how much of a cartoon moustache-twirling villain the Billy Zane character is, we get to watch him chasing Leo and Kate through the corridors of a sinking ship, shooting at them and raging maniacally. :roll:
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Patrick Degan wrote:Titanic: Just so we have no doubts whatsover about how much of a cartoon moustache-twirling villain the Billy Zane character is, we get to watch him chasing Leo and Kate through the corridors of a sinking ship, shooting at them and raging maniacally. :roll:
I actually liked 'Titanic', but that slow motion 180 spin he did at the start of the chase was hilarious.

As for me:
All of the puppets and singing at the start of 'Return of the Jedi'.
The jet pack from 'Kick-Ass'.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
The Spartan wrote:Why exactly? I've seen it once and that was years ago. I can't think of anything in particular that would make Brad Pitt for Achilles, who was said to be athletic and handsome as I recall.
I would also like to hear why it was so bad. It of course did not follow Homer very closely, but otherwise I found it to be a fairly entertaining pseudo-historical spectacle. Nothing very strange or out of the ordinary in the plot, which would count as WTF for me. Generally good acting and suitable actors for their roles, even Brad Pitt. Certainly much better than 300, or Alexander.
I think the Director's Cut is even better than he theatrical release. Ajax watching Achilles and his Myrmidons landing ahead of the main force, encouraging his men to row faster because Greeks are dying on the beach, but the Director's Cut includes his next line he mutters to himself as he turns back to watch the battle, and he says something about hoe Achilles is hogging all the glory.
XXXI
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Superman wrote:Brad Pitt playing Hercules in Troi was a big wtf. Actually, that entire movie was one big wtf.
For me, it's mostly that they set up Achilles as if we're supposed to sympathize with him when he acts like a total asshole the whole time.
Truth fears no trial.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Whiplash wrote:The jet pack from 'Kick-Ass'.
How about when we are first introduced to Hit Girl? She starts slaughtering people, to this sugary sweet background music.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Coalition wrote:
Whiplash wrote:The jet pack from 'Kick-Ass'.
How about when we are first introduced to Hit Girl? She starts slaughtering people, to this sugary sweet background music.
Well it was in the trailer (the red band one) so ... not much of a surprise.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The 80's TV Soap "Dallas", and the infamous Patrick Duffy in a shower scene, that reset the prior season of shocking surprises to "Only A Bad Dream"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

That may have been shocking to you, but Gen Y has been getting a decent amount of mileage out of that one :lol:
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Tanasinn wrote:
Superman wrote:Brad Pitt playing Hercules in Troi was a big wtf. Actually, that entire movie was one big wtf.
For me, it's mostly that they set up Achilles as if we're supposed to sympathize with him when he acts like a total asshole the whole time.
I didn't really see that, other than the sympathy you would naturally have for someone who lost a close friend (Patroclus). If there is anybody you felt sympathy for it was Priam.
XXXI
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Tanasinn wrote: For me, it's mostly that they set up Achilles as if we're supposed to sympathize with him when he acts like a total asshole the whole time.
Oh, the unbearable whatthefuckness of complex characters... I mean, that's the fucking point. He is very much an arrogant asshole, but he still feels like all men.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

There is also, of course, a whole movie's worth of WTF in Never Been Kissed.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

The first few minutes of Zardoz. After some brief scenery of people getting killed, a cheesy looking giant stone head floats onto the scene. It proclaims "The gun is good....the penis is evil!" and proceeds to vomit guns and ammunition as the head orders its followers "Go forth....AND KILL!"

Add Sean Connery to the equation and that pretty much set my WTF standard to a new level.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh yeah, I remember planning to watch that.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh yeah, I remember planning to watch that.
It will be right up your alley, Shroom. People either love or hate that movie and I think you would love it. It's very campy and ridiculous, Connery's costume is unbelievable, and yet it still manages to be quite profound in a way. Of course there are lots of shallow and stupid people, who do not get it, and then the compulsory whiners arrested in their development to a teenage nonchalance, to whom everything that tries to say something is "pretentious". It reminds me quite a lot about Lexx, although it does not have as much humor, which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it... :mrgreen:
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

The Keep

Meet The Feebles & Bad Taste... wait ... those were alright 8)
Plan 9 From Outer Space ... ? how about almost everything Dale Brown has written and EVERYTHING Dan Brown has.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

The Dark wrote:The plot to Xenosaga. I get it, but it merrily pinballs from one WTF moment to the next through the whole series.

You do? Could you please send me a PM explaining it? Because I have no idea what the fuck is going on in that series.

Inglorious Basterds. That movie left me so confused. From the previews I expected it to be an action-filled gorefest where the Nazis get their shit ruined in the most horrible ways, and it so wasn't.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Darksider wrote: Inglorious Basterds. That movie left me so confused. From the previews I expected it to be an action-filled gorefest where the Nazis get their shit ruined in the most horrible ways, and it so wasn't.
It wasn't? Spoiler
They wiped out the entire Nazi leadership,
for fuck's sake!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Darksider wrote: Inglorious Basterds. That movie left me so confused. From the previews I expected it to be an action-filled gorefest where the Nazis get their shit ruined in the most horrible ways, and it so wasn't.
Oh man, that was such an amazing movie. You'd think it was just some shitty mindless popcorn whatever, but turns out it's surprisingly very funny and very good. And very, very weird. What a great movie. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
It wasn't? Spoiler
They wiped out the entire Nazi leadership,
for fuck's sake!
It wasn't, despite the scene you're talking about. The movie was advertised as an action movie starring Brad Pitt. It was really a weird and and talky, genre-defying movie that was all about the clever dialogue. The Basterds themselves are far from the main characters.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims