Tehran approves permissable men's hairstyles

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: Tehran approves permissable men's hairstyles

Post by Kanastrous »

Yes, that's true. Most modern Judaism is properly termed Rabbinic. Same point, though; endless hair-splitting debates upon the correct positioning of the beard at night time relative to one's covers remain exercises in opacity.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Now maybe it's just me showing my ignorance but the "Iranian official" pictured in the article looks really rather western in his trousers, belt with large buckle, shirt and jacket. Now maybe I'm wrong and we copied the generic male western clothing style from Iran /Persia but I really don't see how long hair on a man is any more or less Islamic than the kind of stuff Ahmadinejad always seems to wear which looks utterly western to me.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Kanastrous wrote:Calls for a national uniform? At risk of smelling all Godwin-y...remember the last national polity that wanted everybody in some kind of party-approved uniform...?
Yeah but I mean, at least the uniforms they chose were Boss. :lol:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

This sort of news just makes me think... would the backlash be that bad if someone (whichever western government happens to be sane and have balls at the time) were to bomb the headquarters of the Iranian Ministry of Love in Tehran. Although admittedly that assumes they have a building that can be bombed, but still. It can't be too difficult.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Yes. It would be that bad.

That would be perceived as an attack against the Iranian nation, and when nationalism beckons people tend to fall right into line behind their rulers, no matter how oppressive those rulers may be.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

Hadn't thought of that. Point withdrawn, but these things do still piss me off.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

RowanE wrote:This sort of news just makes me think... would the backlash be that bad if someone (whichever western government happens to be sane and have balls at the time) were to bomb the headquarters of the Iranian Ministry of Love in Tehran. Although admittedly that assumes they have a building that can be bombed, but still. It can't be too difficult.
The last time we tried a military operation in Tehran 8 US soldiers were killed and we got Ayatollah Khomeini in charge.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

General Zod wrote:
RowanE wrote:This sort of news just makes me think... would the backlash be that bad if someone (whichever western government happens to be sane and have balls at the time) were to bomb the headquarters of the Iranian Ministry of Love in Tehran. Although admittedly that assumes they have a building that can be bombed, but still. It can't be too difficult.
The last time we tried a military operation in Tehran 8 US soldiers were killed and we got Ayatollah Khomeini in charge.
Eight out of how many, though?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

General Zod wrote:The last time we tried a military operation in Tehran 8 US soldiers were killed and we got Ayatollah Khomeini in charge.
If you mean Operation Eagle Claw, that was in April 1980. Khomeini was in power from March 1979. Assuming that's the op you mean, the one did not produce the other.
Last edited by Kanastrous on 2010-07-13 04:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Eight out of how many, though?
What difference does it make?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Just as a note:

There have never been any calls for an Iranian national uniform. A man named Amir Taheri, a grumpy man who lost a rather high paying and prestigious job editingKayhan one of the government's official newspapers (a job he only got because he was a stooge friend of Iran's Prime Minister), spread a rumor to that effect in 2007 by taking a law regarding encouraging stores to sell more Islam friendly and saying that it A. was trying to impose a national dress code and B. wanted to put tags on religious minorities so that everyone knew who they were. Needless to say this article created a HUGE stir before it was refuted, and echoes of it have stuck around forever.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan