MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by hongi »

Also, did anyone else see Ronda Rousey go to 4-0 in MMA in a total of under 2:30 minutes last night? FUCKING 30 seconds to detach an arm from the body. WILL YOU MARRY ME?
Yeaaaah boy. I love this woman (judokas represent!). It's a little unfair though to her competitors, a former Olympian medalist? What do they expect to happen?
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

weemadando wrote:There was apparently an awesome soccer kick in Bellator though. As well as another 4+ rounds of all violence FotY contendership in the Alvarez v Chandler title fight.

FYI, I've failed to watch 3 major UFC events live this year. The two Edgar/Maynards and Shogun/Hendo. If I say "oh, I'm not able to make it to watch the fights" be fucking sure to tune in, because those cards are awesome.

Also, did anyone else see Ronda Rousey go to 4-0 in MMA in a total of under 2:30 minutes last night? FUCKING 30 seconds to detach an arm from the body. WILL YOU MARRY ME?

pshh, shes ducking cyborg
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, that sucks pretty hard that she's cutting to 135 now.

Also...

CHEICK KONGO V MARK HUNT IN JAPAN.

That's the rumour folks.

And it makes me so happy.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

And Chris Leben gets suspended for a year for oxycodone abuse, yeah, that's how many drug suspensions and DUIs now?

Just finished watching Hendo vs. Shogun again, man, how the hell does Shogun eat that many clean power shots from Hendo without getting knocked out? But more importantly, what the hell was he doing brawling with Hendo instead of staying on the outside and using his technical skills to pick him apart? It's like everything went out the window as soon as he got hit and they went old school Pride style where they just slugged it out to see who'd fall down first. Not that I'm complaining cause it was one hell of a good fight.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Urgh. Being a MMA fan sucks today.

Miguel Torres making rape jokes on twitter.
Rasharkin Evans making child abuse jokes are the presser. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

And in more conventional disappointment.
JDS - knee surgery. Out for at least a few months.
GSP - knee surgery. Out for a year.
So, that's the past few hours in MMA.

On the plus side, Chael and Bisping went verbal godzilla at the presser.

And Condit (WEC WW champ) vs Diaz (SF WW champ) for the interim title.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

weemadando wrote:Urgh. Being a MMA fan sucks today.

Miguel Torres making rape jokes on twitter.
Rasharkin Evans making child abuse jokes are the presser. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Was it only the "surprise sex van" joke?

That seems a bit mild for a reason to hate on somebody whose job is to beat the shit out of people. Not particularly original (the "surprise sex" thing is, like, so 2009). I mean, the point of the joke is OF COURSE it's still rape if you shout/the van says "surprise".

Rashad makes me wince, but mostly because it was at the expense of SPECIFIC child abuse victims in a high-profile forum.

I dunno, maybe I'm just used to real comedians working blue.

GSP/JDS knee surgeries really do suck hugely though.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Way to make me hate being a MMA fan even more Dana.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

No shit. Talk about double fucking standards. Apparently it's ok to make rape jokes as long as you were on TUF. Forrest says rape is the new missionary. Nothing. Rashad makes child rape references. Nothing. God knows what Chael Sonnen's said. Nothing. And Torres gets fired for a surprise van joke. Seriously?

Oh yeah, and let's give Bisping a nice easy matchup against Demian Maia. Fuck that shit. And you wonder why their PPV numbers are shitting the bed.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Let's be fair though. If he was going to apply consistent punishment for this shit, he'd be the first one out the door.

And I was so glad to see MMA Journalist of the Year Ariel Helwani performing admirably today as bootlicking lapdog and fawning on Dana's bullshit about it. Apparently he even managed to get in some digs at Loretta Hunt and Josh Gross.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Oh yeah. Wanderlei Silva is in town to do some promo stuff and seminars. I've signed myself up to get my ass kicked by the axe murderer.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:Oh yeah. Wanderlei Silva is in town to do some promo stuff and seminars. I've signed myself up to get my ass kicked by the axe murderer.

I dare you to one up this.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:I dare you to one up this.
Considering that Wandy kicked the fucking shit out of my leg to the point where I can't walk right now, yeah, I think I got that beat.

Also, if Wandy ever visits Australia again I'm signing you up for a seminar so you can enjoy getting your ass kicked and be in as much pain as I'm in right now.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Awesome work sir.

If my buddy ever gets around to converting it you can marvel at footage of me gassing out HORRIBLY in a jits comp in 1080p on YouTube. The fact that it was my fifth fight in an hour doesn't give me an out.

I'll let you know what seminars are coming up though - as the UFC isn't visiting Australia in Feb we're not getting the usual crew rolling through doing them.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What a totally fucking baller card.

Seriously. Knock-outs galore, Lil Nog declaring: "FUCK YOUR ORGANS TITO! FUCK YOUR ORGANS!", Mir snapping Big Nog and then Jones getting tested but then wrecking Machida?

MY GOD.

Also, UFC Flyweight tournament is kicking of on the STRAYA card. I doubt I'll be able to get there in person however, which totally blows. If only Victoria would man the fuck up and stop banning the cage.

And finally - under 24 hours until we find out if Overeem pissed hot in the pre-fight tests and is barred from Nevada. Oh man. Cannot wait for the internet outrage if it's true.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Big Nog had that fight in the bag, all he had to do was hammerfist him a few more times to get the fight stopped, but he just had to go full retard and attempt a sub. That's epic level stupid which is up there with Palhares jumping on the cage and celebrating when the ref hadn't even stopped the fight, then nearly getting his ass knocked out.

Funny thing about the Lil Nog knee on Tito, it was the exact same shot that Machida used to drop Tito and both of them fight southpaw. You gotta think that they did some planning on that shot. Man, I want to see Bas Rutten come out of retirement and liver shot Tito a few times.

The Machida Jones fight went about as I expected. Machida doesn't have the 1-shot KO power to put people away so his only other choice is to outpoint Jones for 5 rounds, and that's way too long when you have Jackson & friends in the corner to make adjustments between rounds. He'd have a better chance if he could soak up as much damage as Shogun or Hendo, but even then it's still going to be tough for him to win. If you're going to have anything more than a puncher's chance against Jones, you'll need 1-shot KO power, Machida's speed & ability to get in & out of range, and top notch takedown defence so you don't get ragdolled and beaten senseless on the ground.

And yeah, it's a pretty good night of fights when the Korean Zombie ties the fastest KO on record and it barely gets a mention.

Also, I can't wait to see Rashad get beaten unconscious again.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Seems that Alistair skipped the country when he got the NSAC test notice. Only contacted them days later when back in Holland. He claims it was a misunderstanding.

NSAC is deliberating now.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Reports say he got a conditional license, I get the feeling that a bunch of strings were pulled behind the scenes so that the UFC wouldn't lose their main event. I don't know about you but the whole thing seems a bit fishy.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

NSAC say he has to piss again inside 72 hours on US soil. His original test has to come back clean, pre fight piss and 2x post fight over 6mts.

But no real tests, like say, blood. Just piss, where 72 hours is ample notice to stop cycling.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

And Dana White makes a prison rape joke on Twitter. But it's prison rape so that's ok and the Fertitas won't have to fire his ass.
Gotta love those standards.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

A pretty cool highlight reel of the year by WhoaTV - mostly smaller and UK stuff for the fights and a lot of training sequences, but a great watch. Really well shot and mixed.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Also NickTheFace is not the official UFC promo cutter why?

The only promos the UFC have cut recent that even come close to his work were the UFC129 ones.

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

weemadando wrote:Also NickTheFace is not the official UFC promo cutter why?

...Yea, I'm just gonna go lift the fuck out of some weights now. :luv:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

http://fantasy.sherdog.com/Dec2011/cards/view

Sherdog's MMA Pick'em competition. Someone finally made a MMA tipping game where the interface isn't totally insufferable bollocks.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, I hope Nate Diaz gets his stupid ass tooled. He's such a fucking turd gurgler.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

He flipped the hat. NO ONE TOUCHES THE HAT.

What interests me most is Fitch v Hendricks. I'd backed Hendricks (and still sort of am) on the grounds of Fitch's long lay-off and being in title contention purgatory being potential mental factors for him. But with an interim title in play, then there's his shot to hold gold AND get another run at GSP. And goddamn if that might even make him try to finish a fight.