And lo, the 2008 Olympic games begin

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

aerius wrote:Wish they had Alison Sydor doing the race commentary.
That would be nice. I didn't see the race live, and probably won't see it tonight due to nice weather. The only other thing I'd like to see is Van Koeverden's race, even knowing the outcome.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I love the near hysteria developing in Australia that we 'only' finished 6th in the medal tally. Ignoring the dubious nature of this as a yardstick...we're a nation of 20 million people, I don't think there's any great dishonour in being alongside the likes of Germany and the UK, much larger nations with more money to throw at the caper.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

No story about the Olympics is complete without addressing the issue of doping
Perhaps the strangest doping case this year was the suspension of four horses and their riders from Olympic show jumping after preliminary tests revealed a derivative of chili peppers, which is used to treat horse injuries, had been applied to the horses' skin. The chili pepper derivative is banned because it can be a mild stimulant.
Link
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

A Fairfax newspaper has calculated that $16.7 million has been spent for every gold medal won by Australia in Beijing.

The figures were based on the 13 gold medals which Australia had won before diver Matthew Mitcham's victory in the 10 metres platform last night.

link

Given the thoughts of privatising the AIS in this thread, I thought this would contribute to the discussion.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

It'd be interesting to see how they arrived at those figures. The funding that goes to the ASC/AIS isn't solely directed at Olympic sports - the four professional football codes (union, league, soccer, footy) all have junior development programs through the AIS, as does cricket. Likewise funding goes into programs from this elite level down to grassroots stuff like Little Aths.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Darth Wong wrote:
As I said, the original Olympics were a pure human athletic competition. The athletes literally competed in the nude.
Except for the hoplitodromos. It was an 800 meter race, initially run in full panoply (~60lbs of armor), which was later reduced down to a helmet and shield (~20lbs of armor).

Also, for the sake of your balls n' shaft, competitors could wear the 400 BC equivalent of a jock.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, because you wouldn't want anyone to trip over their genitalia while competing. :lol:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

In the closing ceremony, what the hell did the UK do? They did a big dancing thingy with a tricked out double-decker bus and a bunch of people doing some weird modern dance thing, and then some pop star came out of the top and started singing "Whole Lotta Love" with accompaniment from Jimmy Page. And then Jimmy Page started just rocking out, and it was weird as hell. I alternated between laughing and gaping the whole time.

Thank you, Britain. Thank you for making the world stare at you. Thank you for giving every TV-equipped nation a fit of nervous laughter. Japan could have done it even more hardcore, but you were magnificent.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I have to agree, the end of the ceremony seemed quite strange. The pop music really didn't fit with everything else.

Those glowing wheel-bikes were really cool, by the way.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Bah! They should have sung London's Calling! I mean, who wouldn't want to hear that the next host was full of zombies?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

I now look forward to four years of the British media alternatively complaining about how much the London games will end up costing and bemoaning the fact that they won't be as good as the Chinese ones. :roll:

Sadly for the London Evening Standard and the Daily Mail, they won't now be able to blame Ken Livingstone for either.

Personally, I'm rather looking forward to having the whole jamboree on my doorstep.
What is WRONG with you people