NFL 2015

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Re: NFL 2015

Post by hunter5 »

Thanas wrote:Shady. Hope the Panthers defence bounces him.
Upon reading the article I don't see anything about Manning being shady but Al - Jazeria (sp?) America was shady as fuck with their documentary. On a second note I agree with the panthers defense bouncing him.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So they're announcing past MVPs for the past Super Bowls. Some of the MVPs such as Joe Montana and John Elway got excellent ovations from the crowd when they came on the field. Some such as for the Raiders got lackluster ovations...but nothing bad. It was hilarious though when Tom Brady was announced...the whole stadium erupted in boos. Same with another MVP from the Patriots. It's interesting how another team can be reviled even more than the Raiders...but I guess it's happening. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

That's because the Raiders have been a defanged bogeyman since the late 1980s.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Panthers look unprepared.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Cam Newton, the NFL's MVP, you are a little bitch.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I only watched around the last six minutes, but yeah Newton looked pretty pissed there by the end.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ok, that bullshit aside, I agree that it's not like pro-football will just stop, I think it will slowly shrink from national pastime (because boring assed baseball hasn't been the U.S. National Pastime for decades) into regional pastimes, then basically the equivalent of backyard wrestling with some small pockets of amateur or very low paying pro leagues.

I dunno if watching grown men scratch themselves and spit loogies in a game that moves slower than Methuselahs dusty bowels Major League Baseball will make a comeback, but my money would be on the NBA as Americas new pastime, which is a shame because basketball is fun to play, not to watch, at least in my opinion.

Unless they go into total WWE male soap opera with feats of athleticism that look more harmful than they are since it would effectively just be stunts. That's the only way I see the NFL surviving and still making quite a bit of money.[/quote]

I'd watch that. :-D

At least for a little while

I'm a bit too into logos/look (super hero style).

I think that is more than half the reason I like college and/or pro football.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I think what's going to happen is that, slowly, youth football leagues are going to start disappearing/changing, so that the age of first entry into the sport of football is going to rise. Instead of having players who've played contact football since they were what, seven? You'll have players who haven't played a down of contact football until high school or college. Accordingly, those players will have thousands of fewer hours of practice and, outside of the rare natural prodigy, be markedly less skilled than today's players at the same age.

This will translate into poorer quality of play at the professional level, which will ultimately result in reduced interest in the game and thus reduced revenue. This creates a self-reinforcing cycle of reduced quality of play, which reduces revenue, which reduces player salaries, which discourages athletes from going into professional football, which further reduces quality of play, and on and on until a new equilibrium is reached.

I do think it's going to take a long time, and the decline will be slow. But I firmly believe it will happen eventually. And there will be holdouts--probably across the southern US--where there will be communities who still allow full contact youth football. But I think in, oh, 20-25 years, such holdouts will be in the vast minority.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lol the ad for "Super Bowl 100" was as funny as it was delusional! Unless it's flag football or robots, there won't even be one.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Pretty sure there will be one.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Pretty sure there will be one.
Yeah, if it's flag football or robots. Parents, outside of small pockets in non-traitor states, are already rethinking letting their kids play. That's going to increase, even moving into dum-dum Jesus Land in the coming couple decades as more is known about just how bad the brain damage from repeated hits is, likely to the point where public school districts start seeing the potential for, or actual lawsuits, since Jr High and Middle Schools have football programs that are the fucking focus of school funding, especially in the South and Midwest. You start seeing those go and HS programs are next. After that you have college football and peewee leagues, which just don't add enough bodies for the current professional level wheat to be separated from the arena level chaff.

So pretty much all but the people who are 2 six-packs in by kickoff and passed out by the second half will be watching sports with real, professional level play. So even if there is a Super Bowl in 2066, it will be like the Arena league championship, where no one watches but the people at the game who are drunk and on meth.

Unless you can change human biology, anyway. Because even the best helmet cannot stop the brain from moving when you get hit really fucking hard.

So just hope the replacement isn't some abortion non-sport like fucking NASCAR. :lol: :wink: :P
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Yeah, Superbowl 100 will happen, but it's not going to be a grand event like current Superbowls. It'll probably get airplay on some sports channel, as people will have some interest in seeing it (kind of like how they air the Grey Cup in the US on ESPN2), but it's going to be nowhere near the spectacle it is today--the money's just not going to be there.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't think so. Unless the USA manages to fix its society and the problems their minorities and underclass faces there will be plenty of poor people racing to play the sport.
------------
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:I don't think so. Unless the USA manages to fix its society and the problems their minorities and underclass faces there will be plenty of poor people racing to play the sport.
You may be right at that, actually.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Oh dear:
Thirteen years ago, USA Today obtained 74 pages of explosive court documents on Peyton Manning, Archie Manning, the University of Tennessee, and Florida Southern College that revealed allegations of a sexual-assault scandal, cover up, and smear campaign of the victim that was so deep, so widespread and so ugly that it would've rocked the American sports world to its core. Yet USA Today never released those documents for reasons I can't explain.
There's much, much more at the link.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Colleges covering up for star moneymakers athletes!? SAY IT AIN'T Heisman winner Winston SO!!!

And no, not an excuse because "well this guy did it too!", just pointing out how it's been going on for decades but no one seems to care until, like Favre, they aren't cash cows anymore. It's fucking disgusting, and I'll bet that with the bizarre practice of having a statute of limitations on sex crimes, none of it will matter except for maybe some sponsorships if this get's picked up by major news agencies that don't bury shit.

This is why one of the first things kids should be taught when they start hitting 4-8 years old is not to hero-worship actual human beings.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw