The Olympics/Paralympics 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: The Olympics 2012

Post by Dartzap »

I think the image of Boris Johnson dancing to the Spice Girls is one that will haunt me to my last breath.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

You got The Who to round things off what are you complaining about?
Oh and Darcy Bussell in a nearly see through catsuit *drool*
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Can someone please tell my why rythmic gymnastics is an Olympic sport, yet baseball is not? Seriously, i can dance around with a sparked hula hoop and i'm an old fatasss.
I would very much like a video of you doing this:

And, Baseball was an Olympic sport, but America got tired of getting reamed by Cuba year after year, so they got it dropped. Being repeatedly beaten at your national sport by a bunch of dirty Commies is kinda embarrassing. I mean, some years, the US didn't even get Bronze.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Darth Nostril wrote:You got The Who to round things off what are you complaining about?
Oh and Darcy Bussell in a nearly see through catsuit *drool*
It was also nice to see George Michael in public doing something that didn't involve his penis. I always liked that song.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

fgalkin wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:Can someone please tell my why rythmic gymnastics is an Olympic sport, yet baseball is not? Seriously, i can dance around with a sparked hula hoop and i'm an old fatasss.

I also would like to see this. Can we raise to a Double Dare?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Darth Tedious wrote:
fgalkin wrote:

I also would like to see this. Can we raise to a Double Dare?
only if i can wear the sparkly leotard
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Col. Crackpot wrote:only if i can wear the sparkly leotard
I would insist that you do. Regulation uniform, level playing field and all that...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I miss the Cold War....

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I was going to say in which case, I miss the British Empire, but apparently (http://labs.pingflux.com/oldelympics/) the Mongols and Romans would have beaten us instead.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Best GB result since 1908, medalwise. Thats nought to be sneezed at, heh.

These games have been annoying in one singular regard:A spectacular lack of epic failing. We were promised glorious clusterfuckups, dammit! Nothing to be bitter about. Even the trains ran on time.

Edit: forever third! :lol:

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Dartzap wrote:Best GB result since 1908, medalwise. Thats nought to be sneezed at, heh.

These games have been annoying in one singular regard:A spectacular lack of epic failing. We were promised glorious clusterfuckups, dammit! Nothing to be bitter about. Even the trains ran on time.

This is the quintissential British mindset, when there is nothing to complain about, complain about having nothing to complain about! :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Dartzap wrote:Best GB result since 1908, medalwise. Thats nought to be sneezed at, heh.

Maybe not in the running of the event, but if you follow the right sports then there is plenty to scream about.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lost Soal wrote:Maybe not in the running of the event, but if you follow the right sports then there is plenty to scream about.
Or laugh at. Such as the various horses that decided the pentathletes they'd been issued with were incompetent, and chucking them off.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Yeah, that Korean chap had a really rough ride *ahem* 600 penalty points, ouch!

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

There was that diver that did the equivalent of a belly flop! :lol: And in the pole vault there was a run of at least 4 or 5 guys who couldn't make the jump, some failed to even reach the height of the bar, something funny must have been going on. In the overall highlights they showed the pole actually snapping, unfortunately I didn't catch which athlete that was. There was also that weightlifter who practically dropped the barbell on his own neck too

I watched as many events as I could, yet I still missed so much- damn them for showing so many things simultaneously :P At least thanks to the official website I could follow team GB.

Nowadays basketball is seen as the US's national sport- there would have been something seriously wrong had they not taken gold :lol:
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Captain Seafort wrote: Or laugh at. Such as the various horses that decided the pentathletes they'd been issued with were incompetent, and chucking them off.
One of the definite highlights, I agree.
What is WRONG with you people
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Nowadays basketball is seen as the US's national sport- there would have been something seriously wrong had they not taken gold :lol:
I'm not sure how you're determining this. I would say basketball ranks a distant second behind football, at best. If you consider only the professional leagues of the two sports (the roster of the USA basketball team was entirely drawn from the ranks of the NBA), I'd say its popularity is even lower.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:There was that diver that did the equivalent of a belly flop! :lol:
And one went in the wrong way round.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

houser2112 wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Nowadays basketball is seen as the US's national sport- there would have been something seriously wrong had they not taken gold :lol:
I'm not sure how you're determining this. I would say basketball ranks a distant second behind football, at best. If you consider only the professional leagues of the two sports (the roster of the USA basketball team was entirely drawn from the ranks of the NBA), I'd say its popularity is even lower.
I'm pretty sure it's still a distant third behind baseball.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Here is a ranking of US sports by popularity

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Two things stand out about that - how the NFL has cannibalised baseball's market share, and the way basketball was so dependent on the career of one individual.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Should be a grand week once again :)