NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Shawne Merriman announces retirement.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Linebacker Shawne Merriman is calling it "Lights Out'' on his career.

The three-time Pro Bowl selection and 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year said on his website Tuesday night that he intends to file retirement papers.

"I retire today not because I don't feel I can go out there and still play the game at a very high level,'' Merriman wrote. "I am retiring because I want to retire on my own terms and leave while I know I can still physically play the game.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/f ... z2MixrwOQP
I'm not terribly surprised by this. He hasn't quite been the same since that knee injury.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ben Roethlisberger - once a douche, always a douche.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey but he met a sick kid once. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Goddamnit. That's what we get for spending all our money on Flacco. We have to trade away people like Boldin. To the 49ers.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That's not Flacco. Flacco's cap number is lower than Boldin's is. He only counts 6 against the cap, Boldin 7.5. It is the monster contracts on defense, specifically Suggs and Ngata, as well as Ray Rice's contract that are the huge killers right now.

But this really sucks. He was my favorite wide receiver. Urgh.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, we have several young receivers on our roster who we invested draft picks, time and money. We are also paying Jacoby Jones 4+ mil this year. I am sure this combination led to Ozzie releasing him. We now have to see if any of Williams, Streeter, Doss or Thompson can step up. I doubt any of them will ever come close to Boldin, but maybe one of them can be our #3 receiver.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Charlie Joiner retires after 44 years in pro football:
It was a celebration that deeply touched Joiner as he departs the NFL after 44 years of service as a player and coach. 21 of those years were spent with the Chargers, 11 seasons as a player and 10 as a coach.

“This is very special,” he said. “It’s tough to put into words really. It’s pretty special that people would take their time to come here, especially on a Friday night. To come here and honor me and be a part of this final celebration, I just love the Spanos family and the guys for doing something like this.”

During a sterling Hall of Fame career, Joiner caught 750 passes, which was the most in league history at the time of his retirement as a player. Of those catches, 586 came with the Chargers, which stood as a team record until Antonio Gates broke it in 2011. Currently, Joiner ranks second in team history in receiving yards (9,203) and fourth in touchdown catches (47). Following his playing career, he became a coach and enjoyed two stints in San Diego. The first occurred from 1987-91 while the most recent stint was from 2008-2012.

For President Dean Spanos, the decision to honor Joiner with one final celebration was a no-brainer.

“Charlie has been in the National Football League for 44 years and half of that was with the San Diego Chargers,” he said. “It’s just a small way to say thank you not only from our family and the team, but from the city also. His contributions are just unbelievable. He’s a Hall of Famer and I can’t say enough good things about him. It’s great to see him here alongside some of his great teammates. I came into the league in 1984, and most of these guys were here. So to see them again, they’re a little bit older and a little bit greyer, but it’s neat to see them. This whole night, it’s just very special.”

One of the many teammates who came out to honor Joiner was the man who threw him all those great passes, fellow Hall of Famer Dan Fouts. The legendary quarterback was honored to be a part of this celebration for his teammate as well as good friend.

“The thing about Charlie is that he had two really great careers,” explained Fouts. “One was as a Hall of Fame player and then one as a coach that went on and influenced so many young players. His contribution to pro football is substantial. Remember, he was the all-time leading receiver in history at the time he retired from playing. To be able to pass on his knowledge to the younger players the way he did, it was just invaluable. So it’s a pleasure to be here to celebrate the great career of a great man.”

As for what Joiner will do now that he leaves behind the game, that is still up in the air. But one thing that will never change is the contribution he made not only to the NFL, but to the San Diego Chargers.
What made Joiner special was his uncanny ability to always run his pattern well past the 1st down marker. You almost never saw him catch the ball short of a 1st down. More importantly, as a player and coach he taught this art to other receivers, many of whom went on to lead the league with this little-talked-about stat: Percentage of passes caught that went for 1st downs or scores.

He was a very unselfish player (a fearless blocker in spite of his small size) and this made him a great position coach.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Havok wrote::D
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're digging the trade the niners made today?
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

A sixth round pick for the toughest receiver in the league and pretty much the reason Flacco looked as great as he did in the playoffs and Superbowl and you can even argue the reason they beat us in the Superbowl? Oh and not to mention that it is his skills as a receiver that make him dangerous, not his speed so it doesn't really matter that he is 33. Yeah, digging is an accurate assessment.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And you know people are already getting super hyped about Percy Harvin going to Seattle, but I'm not quite sure why? He has never started a full season, never had more than 967 yards, never more than 6 TD receiving. I mean I get that he hasn't had great QBs, and he is an electric return man, but there is already buzz that the Seahawks are the favorites in the West now. Boy I hope the Seahawks believe that going into the season.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

As a Vikings fan I'm not exactly jazzed by the Harvin trade. Sure, they got a first-round pick, but I'm never an advocate for trading away a proven commodity for something that might not pan out. That being said, yes, he has never started a full season and all that, so the Vikings may end up ahead on this one.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, Hav, I wish Boldin the best. I hope we did not make a mistake but I trust Ozzie that he actually did make the right move.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I wanted him when he left Arizona, I'm still happy to have him now. Between Boldin, Crabtree and Davis our offense is going to be a first down machine.

At least you can still root for him until Feb. ;)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Steelers release James Harrison and are rumored to be in talks to trade Rashad Mendenhall. Can't say I'm mournful about either. Harrison has had some damn good play at times, but the questionable hits, suspensions (and sniping at the officiating), and domestic violence charges are all serious infractions on and off the field. Mendenhall hasn't been a particularly good RB since 2009, and maybe switching up the backfield will get the running game going again.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ah shit! Vasquez (the only good lineman the Chargers have) signs with the Donkeys. :banghead:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As usual, March sucks for the Ravens. So far, we have lost:

Anquan Boldin
Danell Ellerbe
Paul Kruger - our sack leader

Of the players we lost, Ellerbe hurts the most. 5 years, 35 mil is a good price, but Ozzie didn't want to pay it. I don't like this, but Ozzie knows best. I wished Ellerbe would have been the successor to Lewis, as he is freakishly fast and strong for an LB and plays with a lot of heart. I'll never forget how he played with two broken thumbs and a rib injury in this years playoffs.

Kruger was a great situational pass rusher. But we can find others. Boldin hurts. Ellerbe hurts more.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Raiders cut DHB and Micheal Huff. Man I would take both those guys. Same with Reed, Nnamdi and D-Hall. The way we get free agents, they all fit right into our mold.

And Thanas as DHB punked Reed, you guys may want to take a look at him as a complimentary guy. Fuck, between him, Simth, Jones and Flacco's cannon, safeties and corners couldn't get deep enough. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:As usual, March sucks for the Ravens. So far, we have lost:

Anquan Boldin
Danell Ellerbe
Paul Kruger - our sack leader

Of the players we lost, Ellerbe hurts the most. 5 years, 35 mil is a good price, but Ozzie didn't want to pay it. I don't like this, but Ozzie knows best. I wished Ellerbe would have been the successor to Lewis, as he is freakishly fast and strong for an LB and plays with a lot of heart. I'll never forget how he played with two broken thumbs and a rib injury in this years playoffs.

Kruger was a great situational pass rusher. But we can find others. Boldin hurts. Ellerbe hurts more.
Oh shut up. Last March seemed to have worked out OK remember? :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:Ah shit! Vasquez (the only good lineman the Chargers have) signs with the Donkeys. :banghead:
See now Eldart has a genuine reason to complain about March. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Damnit! We lost Delaine Walker to the Titans. I hope he gets a chance to shine now that he is out of Vernon's 4.35 shadow. He is a good, versatile tight end. That means we may be looking for a solid replacement.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hey, we actually got canty for a cheap, 3 years 8m deal.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fudge. Sopoaga to the Eagles. Good for them though getting solid starters and not jumping into any crazy deals with the big name FAs that really aren't all that better than the rest of the guys.

I am also really excited about the Chiefs so far. They are doing everything they can to make sure Smith is in a good situation. Moeaki, Fassano, Bowe, Albert and still the first pick. Pretty stellar off-season to this point.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Anybody else feel the dolphins are kinda messing this up? They pay near 100 mil for just two players, when one of them does not even fit a real need at ILB.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bernard Pollard too? WTF?
------------
------------
My LPs