NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Havok »

Well, the Alex Smith era in San Francisco is over. One of the better QBs over the last two years is going to the Chiefs where he will play under another head coach in Reid that gets the most out of his QBs, and arguably, Smith will be the brightest he has had. If the Chiefs want to get the most out of Smith they need to keep Bowe and work Moeaki (sp?) back into their offense. The Chiefs have a pretty good line and some good running backs as well, but maybe another trade for Steven Jackson would be a big help for their running game.

As to Smith, I am sad to see him go. He took 7 years of shit teams, shit coaches, shit front office support and an absolute piece of shit fan base and made himself into one of the most well respected and stand up players in the league based on the way he handled it. He was on the precipice of the Super Bowl last year and I have no doubt that if he hadn't gotten hurt this year, he would have gotten us back there this year.

I have always been a staunch supporter of Smith as I recognized what a shitty situation he had been in and I will always be a fan and wish him the absolute best of luck in KC.
I'm relived he didn't go to the Cardinals, because I wouldn't want to root against him twice a year, or possibly end up rooting for him twice a year.

Getting the Chiefs 2nd round pick this year is an absolute dream and gives us two picks in the first thirty four players. Most "experts" were saying third-fourth rounder at best. We also get a conditional pick next year, I am assuming based on performance. We now have the ammo to get Revis if we want. So we have our #1, the Chiefs #2 three more picks in the first three rounds and 12 picks overall, not counting any compensatory picks.

Given the way Ballke has drafted, I am looking forward to good things in April.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also, and I know this is fucking nuts, but I think that Tebow may end up in SF.

Now hear me out...
1) What better player to come in and back up Kaep? He can run the read option just fine, and when teams see him they are going to absolutely assume run, I don't care what their coaches tell them. If he hits one or two throws, it's just enough to allow for him to get 15-20 yards a pop running.

2) Look what Harbaugh and Roman did for Smith. If they can get half that production out of Tebow in key situations, they win.

3) Versatility. Two QB run option set. The way these guys draw up plays, I can see it working. Special Teams. He can be the up back and take direct snaps and run or throw on punt team. Ditto for Field Goal team as the holder.

4) The Niners are going to need a distraction from the Superbowl loss to help them stay focused. The one thing that can keep reporters from asking about the Superbowl is asking about Tim Tebow. :lol:

5) I think Tebow needs to get some offensive minded coaches around him. Going to the Jets was absolutely a horrible decision.

I know it's nuts, but so is Harbaugh. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Goddamnit. That makes what, 15 draft picks for the niners (after compensatory picks)?

Please send some of those to Ozzie. He'll let you sign Cary williams in exchange. Deal? :P
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Chris Kelsay, DE for 10 years to the tune of 32.5 Sacks, has announced his retirement. Bills Bation has spent the last seven years waiting for him to be cut, but he was such a blue collar, lunchpail type of guy.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

And on the lighter side, The NFL as explained by British teenagers:

On the whole, they do a good deal better than American teenagers would at explaining rugby, or anyone explaining cricket.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So some niners fan lost a bet and had to draw a series of Ravens owning niners pictures.

This is the first one, two more coming.

Prof. Sizzle
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hahahahahahahahahaha... fuck you. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Need a gif for that? :lol:

Look at it this way - had he not lost that bet the other guy would have had to write erotic fanfiction about Kaepernick.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That is an acceptable gif. :lol:

And so what you are saying is that either way in that bet, Niner fans lose. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Could be interesting QB situation in Kansas City.

It wasn't that long ago that people were high on Matt Cassel. Now Matt Cassel is apparently as bad as pre-Harbaugh Alex Smith. I wouldn't be surprised if this off-season, everyone is gushing about the possibility of KC trading Cassel to someone after Reid works his magic, although now I see there's rumours he's apparently he's already possibly being traded to Arizona.

That was fast.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The difference is that Cassel excelled one year in a dream system and he had already been behind Brady for like 2 years if memory serves. Smith was thrown right into the fire and dealt with ridiculous amounts of change and turnover and just down right shitty coaching. And people that know football know that pre-Harbaugh Smith wasn't as bad as the world thinks.

What I think Reid really covets though, and what is going to send Cassel packing is Smith's ability to protect the ball.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Apparently Baltimore just signed Flacco to the most lucrative NFL contract ever.

Because yeah. Totally worth it m i rite?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Havok wrote:The difference is that Cassel excelled one year in a dream system and he had already been behind Brady for like 2 years if memory serves. Smith was thrown right into the fire and dealt with ridiculous amounts of change and turnover and just down right shitty coaching. And people that know football know that pre-Harbaugh Smith wasn't as bad as the world thinks.
Didn't Cassel have a good year or two in Kansas City as well? The Chiefs haven't been a model of stability either.

On the other side of this rumour, I don't know the Cardinals very well but I didn't think quarterback was their problem position - Kevin Kolb was quite competent, the issue in Arizona was pass protection, right?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

GuppyShark wrote: On the other side of this rumour, I don't know the Cardinals very well but I didn't think quarterback was their problem position - Kevin Kolb was quite competent, the issue in Arizona was pass protection, right?

Kolb averaged out to competent until he got crushed enough times that he was out for the rest of the season. He does seem to be a bit on the fragile side for an NFL QB.

The Cardinals have had a fairly bad O-line for awhile and last year they lost a couple of starters early on and went from bad to just terrible. They always had issues with the run, and weren't great on pass protection. After the injuries they just sucked all around. Kolb could turn out to be pretty good in Arizona if they get the line sorted out. The same could be said for some of the running backs they have. My main concern is that by the time they get the line and offense sorted out the defense will be shitty again.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

GuppyShark wrote:
Havok wrote:The difference is that Cassel excelled one year in a dream system and he had already been behind Brady for like 2 years if memory serves. Smith was thrown right into the fire and dealt with ridiculous amounts of change and turnover and just down right shitty coaching. And people that know football know that pre-Harbaugh Smith wasn't as bad as the world thinks.
Didn't Cassel have a good year or two in Kansas City as well? The Chiefs haven't been a model of stability either.
Reid brings the stability. As well as a system that Smith already knows.
On the other side of this rumour, I don't know the Cardinals very well but I didn't think quarterback was their problem position - Kevin Kolb was quite competent, the issue in Arizona was pass protection, right?
A lot of column A and a TON of column B.
Cassel while not great, is a huge improvement over anything Arizona has at the moment and the Cardinals need a QB in a division that has suddenly become the toughest in the NFC, and maybe the NFL, while at the same time all of a sudden having two of the most dynamic QBs in the league. If Bradford continues to improve the NFC West is a dangerous place.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sounds like the deal with Flacco is 6yr/120m at least. Holy fuck, are we MAD?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

weemadando wrote:Sounds like the deal with Flacco is 6yr/120m at least. Holy fuck, are we MAD?
No, but we are paying market value.

Trust in Ozzie. The complete terms have not been made public yet, so who knows how the deal is structured, how it impacts our cap, how much guaranteed money etc....
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:No, but we are paying market value.

Trust in Ozzie. The complete terms have not been made public yet, so who knows how the deal is structured, how it impacts our cap, how much guaranteed money etc....
That's what I'm thinking; a lot of that has got to be tied up in incentives, playoff bonuses, and free Maryland Crab Shack coupons.

And hell, he is only 28. It's not like his best years are behind him(we hope).
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^So you made the full transition to the Ravens?
ONE OF US.

Oh, and the full contract details have been announced.
29 mil signing bonus
52 mil guaranteed
salary-cap number in 2013 is $6.8 million, 14.5 in 2014
I like it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:^So you made the full transition to the Ravens?
ONE OF US.
Two of us, actually. My wife spearheaded this transition last year, after the news of, and I quote, "that fucknugget abortion Tim Tebow" signing with the Jets. We haven't looked back, except, of course, to exult in the Jets' utter implosion this season.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hooray.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Whatever, Ravens suck. Even though they are my second favorite team.

Anyway, so I am playing fantasy GM in my head while reading Adrian Peterson lay a nice smackdown on CJ and I decided that the Niners need to trade this years 1st, next years 2nd and some other 4th and 5ths to the Vikings along with Frank Gore for Peterson.
Then pick up Nnamdi in free agency or Sean Smith, possibly even Talib. Let Goldson go, sign Ed Reed and pick up Jennings to go along with Crabtree, Davis and Manningham.

Three Superbowls wins in a row I think ought to be nice.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Whatever, Ravens suck. Even though they are my second favorite team.
Doesn't matter, won Superbowl.
Anyway, so I am playing fantasy GM in my head while reading Adrian Peterson lay a nice smackdown on CJ and I decided that the Niners need to trade this years 1st, next years 2nd and some other 4th and 5ths to the Vikings along with Frank Gore for Peterson.
Then pick up Nnamdi in free agency or Sean Smith, possibly even Talib. Let Goldson go, sign Ed Reed and pick up Jennings to go along with Crabtree, Davis and Manningham.
You can't have Ed Reed and the Vikings will never trade Peterson.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

They said the Cowboys would never trade Hershel Walker.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sure, but that offer was a bit higher than what you are willing to give.
------------
------------
My LPs