MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by Edward Yee »

Well, unless this was recorded earlier... "Waldo"'s been found.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My reaction to Nick's indignation:

Hey Nick Diaz, we all hate part of our jobs. But we man up & do it anyway & we can't even claim BJJ as a work expense. Harden up & grow up.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Edward Yee wrote:Well, unless this was recorded earlier... "Waldo"'s been found.
He should be in jail for that video. Let's see, careless driving, reckless driving, cutting 2 solid lines and some road rage thrown in for good measure. I would not be surprised if he drives like this every day.

As for his rant, fuck him. "I was on my way to the airport and missed my flight"...bullshit. You call Dana White and go "shit! I missed my flight, what can I do? Can you help me out?" and he'll set you up, I mean there's only 50 fucking flights a day to the destination he needed. Yeah, you want to get paid? Do your fucking job. And quit blaming everyone else for your fucking problems.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

aerius wrote:Now imagine if alternate Daniel Cormier somehow won the tourney. Daniel who? Who the fuck is this guy? Strikeforce would be so fucked.
One step closer to that happening after tonight, just one more fight and he's got it.

Also, this Strikeforce card just sucked, the commentating sucked worse than usual and the production was shit. I damn near fell asleep watching it and can't even remember half the fights.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Who watched the Mayweather Ortiz fight last night? Quick replay of the end: http://pushthemovement.tumblr.com/post/10359703709 I can't pull the video from my phone.
XXXI
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Phantasee wrote:Who watched the Mayweather Ortiz fight last night?
Nope, I was watching the battle of the Jakes last night. Jake won, and now the retards on the MMA boards think he'll be the one to beat GSP.

And I'm still wondering how the fuck Nick Diaz now gets to fight BJ in the co-main event, I guess Dana White is thinking that BJ will beat the shit out of Diaz so that they can cut him from the UFC.

As for that video clip, cheap, but they do tell you to protect yourself at all times.
That's his own damn fault for being an idiot.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Diaz is still there because he sells views.

Events he headlined with Strikeforza did better than ones with Fedor or other supposed "stars".

But in BJ he's facing a guy who is literally just a better version of him. Better boxing, better jits, better wrestling, FAR BETTER chin. Rather than GSP who was just a complete style nightmare for a top control jits player.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ahahahahahahhahahahah.

Jake Shields.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Ooooh. HAH.

No, you keep single legging that ref.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, we learned that Kevin Mulhall has excellent takedown defence.
He totally stuffed Jake's takedown attempt. :lol:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

So apparently over the next eight weeks we have six UFC titles on the line. I love being a MMA fan today.

As for this weekend - what are people's thoughts?

I don't really give Rampage a shot, but at the same time the LHW belt hasn't been successfully defended for more than 4 years. As long as you ignore Cecil Peoples.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:As for this weekend - what are people's thoughts?
As long as Mark Hunt wins I'm happy. I'm cheering for Rampage to win so that they can setup a rematch with Shogun for the belt. I can't say I give him much of a shot but stranger things have happened. I also want Hughes to win since I hate Koscheck that fucking much. Cheering for Gomi too since I think Nate Diaz is a fucking tool. Gomi will probably show up out of shape again and get totally gassed on the way to losing a decision or getting submitted.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sounds like my predictions too.

WAR HUNT!

And then he got kimura'd.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It's pretty sad, other then his freak KO loss to Manhoef, all his losses have been from kimuras or armbars.
If he ever learns to defend armlocks he could put together a pretty good run.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

...and then Shogun's brain got exploded by s megaton right hand.

Hendo v Shogun has been announced.

AND ODDSMAKERS HAVE HENDO AS THE DOG.

PARDON ME WHILE I MAKE BANK.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Shogun ain't as dumb as Hendo's recent victims. I see it going a lot like Hendo's fight against Franklin, with Shogun coming out on the winning side of the decision. Shogun has the skills to make it a technical striking match and if he does that he can easily outpoint Hendo for the win.

If we look at common opponents they Babalu, Rampage, Rogerio Nogueira, Arona, and Kanehara. Hendo's lost to Rampage, Rogerio and Arona while Shogun's only loss was to Babalu early in his career. He's demolished everyone else on the list.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I think you're forgetting that Shogun is slowing down and remains in injury hell.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

He ain't Pride Shogun anymore but he's still way faster than Hendo. Hendo barely managed to squeak out a win against Franklin the last time he fought as a LHW in the UFC and he got drilled solidly & dropped by Cavalcante and Fedor. The other thing is Shogun's getting a quick turnaround between his fights, he's going to be in sharp and in shape so you're not going to get Coleman or Jon Jones Shogun.

edit: this just in, Belfort out, Wandy in to replace him. If there is an MMA god, I want to see Cung Le get a vintage Axe Murderer beatdown.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Mark Hunt won another fight!
Let me say that again cause it bears repeating

Holy shit! Mark Hunt won again!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah. He straight up turned Rothwell into a zombie. That fight was fucking comedy gold.

"Please! ARMBAR ME! I'm SO gassed!"
"BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON AN ARMBAR! HOW DOES THIS WORK?"
"pant wheeze"
"wheeze"

MARK HUNT HAS GONE 2-0 IN THE UFC IN 2011

My picks were pretty rotten. I'd put money on Ring, Hughes and Jackson, all long odds who had real chances to win, but didn't.

Fuck me Rampage was made to look ordinary. Wait, no. Made to look stupid, befuddled and lost.

Crazy, crazy skills from Jones.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Yeah. He straight up turned Rothwell into a zombie. That fight was fucking comedy gold.

"Please! ARMBAR ME! I'm SO gassed!"
"BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON AN ARMBAR! HOW DOES THIS WORK?"
"pant wheeze"
"wheeze"

MARK HUNT HAS GONE 2-0 IN THE UFC IN 2011
Serves them right for sticking a heavyweight fight in Denver, Colorado of all venues (this thought TM Bad Left Hook).
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Jon Jones reality check of the day.

His two biggest wins are the same as Forrest Griffin's.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Does this mean he'll lose to Rashad Evans, get humiliated by Anderson Silva, then KTFO by Shogun in a rematch?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:Does this mean he'll lose to Rashad Evans, get humiliated by Anderson Silva, then KTFO by Shogun in a rematch?
Who knows. But it was an interesting stat that someone pulled out to shut down folks who were busy claiming no one will ever beat him.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

If Rampage didn't have the gameplanning and fight IQ of a complete retard he could've beaten Jones. He was having no problems landing leg kicks and Jones never caught his leg or tried a takedown off a kick, so what does Rampage do? Throw 1 or 2 kicks at the start of the 2nd and 3rd round and then go back to boxing. Then there was his braindead boxing, every time they clinched, and that was a lot of times, he simply pushed Jones away and let him regain his range & reset. He had a bunch of chances to throw uppercuts on the exit and test Jones' chin, the uppercut is one of his best punches and he never threw it. Instead, he spent the entire fight on the outside getting picked apart by Jones' range advantage or passively defending himself in the clinch, then letting Jones get the range open to pick him apart again.

Jon Jones wasn't fighting anywhere near his best, probably because of the respect he has for Rampage's punching power and Rampage failed to capitalize on it. Oh yeah, did I mention that his corner is even more retarded than he is?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The best explanation for Rampage's performance is analysis paralysis. He seemed to be unable to decide how to react to a lot of goings on. So while it's clear that he had knowledge of the setup and timings for some of Jones' moves, he only avoided, rather than exploited.

Also Dana announced Shogun v Rua. Then corrected himself. Boo.

Also announced then cancelled Machida v Davis as Davis is still getting his knee sorted.