What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Sriad »

phred wrote:Don Quixote by Cervantes. I'm up to chapter 15.

Is it bad that the most interesting part of the book so far was the short bio of Cervantes in the front of the book?
It's not Cervantes' fault that the art of novel writing has progressed slightly in the last 404 years.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Just finished "Sleeping Around: A Couch Surfing Tour of The Globe" by Brian Thacker which also required a re-read of his first book ("Rule Number 5: No Sex on The Bus: Confessions of A Tour Guide") for shits and giggles, about to begin "Archangel" by Robert Harris.

Someone mentioned "A Song of Ice & Fire" .... WHEN THE *#^% IS "A DANCE WITH DRAGONS" COMING OUT???
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The_Saint wrote: Someone mentioned "A Song of Ice & Fire" .... WHEN THE *#^% IS "A DANCE WITH DRAGONS" COMING OUT???
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Son ... rd_title_0
September 27, 2010

:P

now reading: old sci fi shorts collection, edited by Asimov that I picked up at Icon ("Supermen") and "Anathem". I dislike needing to remember new words/names :(
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Just read Neither Here Nor There and A Walk in the Woods, both travel books by Bill Bryson (Europe and the Appalachian Trail, respectively), and now I have a strong urge to see both. Maybe they could move it so I could hike the trail from Paris to Rome.

Presently reading In a Sunburned Country--same author, this time about Australia.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

RedImperator wrote:Just read Neither Here Nor There and A Walk in the Woods, both travel books by Bill Bryson (Europe and the Appalachian Trail, respectively), and now I have a strong urge to see both. Maybe they could move it so I could hike the trail from Paris to Rome.

Presently reading In a Sunburned Country--same author, this time about Australia.
Try his dictionary and science-centric books if you like that sort of thing. All of his stuff is great.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
The_Saint wrote: Someone mentioned "A Song of Ice & Fire" .... WHEN THE *#^% IS "A DANCE WITH DRAGONS" COMING OUT???
September 27, 2010
So is he actually still writing it, or has he finally decided that maybe someone should edit one of his books one of these days?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

weemadando wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:
September 27, 2010
So is he actually still writing it, or has he finally decided that maybe someone should edit one of his books one of these days?
He's been reading chapters at several Conventions in the last few years. If anything it could potentially be longer :lol:

I'm currently reading A Massacre In Marienburg, a warhammer novel. I quite enjoyed the first in the series, so hey ho.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:September 27, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it... in my hands.

The potential of the HBO series scares me... it could be good... but it could also go so horribly wrong, though the fan made cast list for a theoretical movie couldn't fail.

After having a chat with a friend about computer security I've been re-reading Cryptinomicon - Neal Stephenson and Neuromancer - William Gibson and then went off on a tangent and been reading The Robots of Dawn - Isaac Asimov and The Simulacra - Philip K Dick.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

The_Saint wrote:Just finished "Sleeping Around: A Couch Surfing Tour of The Globe" by Brian Thacker which also required a re-read of his first book ("Rule Number 5: No Sex on The Bus: Confessions of A Tour Guide")
At the risk of sounding like a name-dropping fuck...my old man edits Brian's stuff, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. His next one should be awesome - he got a copy of the original Lonely Plant guide to backpacking Asia, he's been travelling around seeing what's still there and what's changed.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thomas P.M. Barnett's Blueprint for Action: A Future Worth Creating, the followup to his The Pentagon's New Map.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Wench
Youngling

Post by The Wench »

Phantasee wrote:I tried starting The Odyssey (Oxford Classics edition), but I fell asleep before I cracked the cover. Been sitting in the "To Read" pile for two years now, I think.
Man, I love that book! I really hope you get back to trying to read it. I'm about to tackle Joyce's Ulysses in about a week, once I'm finished with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Just on the last chapter of Portrait, just finished The Dubliners (also by Joyce), and I'm reading Victor Gischler's Vampire A Go-Go concurrently with it to ease the serious depression. I also recently finished Vonnegut's Mother Night and (FINALLY) William Vollman's The Royal Family (which was a lot more interesting since I read it concurrently with the King James Bible). Almost don't recommend The Royal Family unless you sort of know the bible a bit. Vollman's like a religious crazypants zealout birthed from a dirty whore. Anyone read any of his other books?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yo, wench in honor of Yesterday being Colombus day, National Geographic reported back in the 1970s that they found Greek Porpoise anchors off the coast of Brazil while looking through some other ship wrecks...

That just might be the bit of truth in the foundation of the story of Oddyssus.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm rereading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at present.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Philip Dru: Administrator: A Story of Tomorrow, written by Woodrow Wilson's political advisor, Col. Edward Mandell House. It's just as bad as I expected.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time and Alastair Reynold's Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Just finished the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan, a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the Age of the Five trilogy.

I'm now rereading for something light, Magician by Feist. I know his books were always a bit cliche but even a little bit in, I can see how much more enjoyable they were. And best of all, no bloody Miranda. :D
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Count Chocula wrote:I'm about 1/3 of the way through Philip Dru: Administrator: A Story of Tomorrow, written by Woodrow Wilson's political advisor, Col. Edward Mandell House. It's just as bad as I expected.
Well, it is about a Marty Stu.... :wink:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups, by Frank W. Warner.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

thejester wrote:...At the risk of sounding like a name-dropping fuck...
You fail. Was talking to a friend who'd travelled around Europe many years ago on a coach tour and mentioned Thacker's books and Top Deck Tours and apparently they were the group which other tour groups told their passengers to stay away from... a suggestion rarely followed.

Just read THE CHARACTERISTICS AND USE OF LEAD-ACID CAP LAMPS. by M.F. Cowlishaw, 1974 ...and I thought I knew heavy reading.... (all to do with rebuilding a miners lamp for caving).
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
September 27, 2010
And now that page says September 28, 2010.

Bloody hell, first he said he hoped to finish by the end of 2007 (no kidding), then it was June 2008, then it was September or October 2009, then now it's September 2010. Source. This is a really long wait.

I'm currently re-reading Dune, Frank Herbert. I like it, and now I'm wondering which order the sequels/prequels should be read.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Tritio wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:
September 27, 2010
And now that page says September 28, 2010.

Bloody hell, first he said he hoped to finish by the end of 2007 (no kidding), then it was June 2008, then it was September or October 2009, then now it's September 2010. Source. This is a really long wait.

I'm currently re-reading Dune, Frank Herbert. I like it, and now I'm wondering which order the sequels/prequels should be read.
Do NOT read any of the prequels (or sequels) by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. They range from decent (the house trilogy) to eye gougingly bad. When I say eye gouging, I mean I wanted to burn the books after reading them.

The real sequels can be a bit tiring, but interesting - I loved "God Emperor of Dune", "children of Dune" and "Dune Messiah" are also good (though not as much so as the original).
Photography
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Up until two days ago, the only book I hadn't read in the house was Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

I wish I had just chosen one of my Lovecraft books, instead. :(
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Yup. Philip Dru: Administrator turned out even worse than I feared. I think I'll go home and read something equally well written and consequential, like an old Executioner paperback. At least it will have guns and explosions and skirmishes, and not one OMFG GENIUS ONE BATTLE CHANGE TEH WURLD scene. Excuse me, two ULTRA GENIUS WIN fights. And Executioner politics don't go past "me good, he bad, I KILL!" I need a break.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Tritio wrote: Bloody hell, first he said he hoped to finish by the end of 2007 (no kidding), then it was June 2008, then it was September or October 2009, then now it's September 2010. Source. This is a really long wait.
It did take him five years or so to write Feast for Crows.

If I were being morbid, I'd put money on him doing a Jordan and croaking before the series finishes.