NFL 2011

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: NFL 2011

Post by Havok »

It's not neccisarily the O-Line's fault in a Mike Martz system. Look at his track record.
Warner: hit so much he was relegated to back up status for two years.
Bulger: Creamed so much he was relegated to back up status, never started again and retired.
Kitna: A good quarterback, even at his age, that got decimated while Martz was with Detroit.
Smith: He was getting killed in Nolan's system anyway and then Martz came in. It's a wonder he is still alive.
Cutler: He is getting creamed on a consistent basis.

It's all his 7 step drops and not keeping in running backs and having a league that is devoid of tight ends that can block even passably, let alone. competently enough to handle the best ends and outside linebackers in the league.

Honestly, I would have like to have seen the offense that Martz and Singletary could have put on the field if either of them could bend a bit and meet in the middle.

That's the thing with Martz. He never has anyone reigning him in. You bring him in to run an offense when you have a defensive minded head coach that doesn't know offense. Lovie Smith, Mike Nolan, Rod Marinelli. When he has someone like Vermeil running the show, he can win you a Superbowl.

He is a great offensive mind, but like many coaches he needs checks and balances.

Just a thought... If the great Bob Mckitrick had still been coaching the Niner's O-line when Martz came there, he probably would have murdered him. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Just looked back at the highlights. Merriman's first sack had a back shading to his side who didn't bother trying to chip. His second saw split backs neither of whom attempt to chip (and the back split to his side just bee-lined for the flat), and Merriman wins on a stunt up the middle.

NFL Network's only got Merriman and Marcell's highlights up, but besides the Back's unwillingness to help out, Chicago's O-line is done in at the snap, and get walked backwards until their QB goes down.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:It's not neccisarily the O-Line's fault in a Mike Martz system. Look at his track record.
Warner: hit so much he was relegated to back up status for two years.
Bulger: Creamed so much he was relegated to back up status, never started again and retired.
Kitna: A good quarterback, even at his age, that got decimated while Martz was with Detroit.
Smith: He was getting killed in Nolan's system anyway and then Martz came in. It's a wonder he is still alive.
Cutler: He is getting creamed on a consistent basis.

It's all his 7 step drops and not keeping in running backs and having a league that is devoid of tight ends that can block even passably, let alone. competently enough to handle the best ends and outside linebackers in the league.

Honestly, I would have like to have seen the offense that Martz and Singletary could have put on the field if either of them could bend a bit and meet in the middle.

That's the thing with Martz. He never has anyone reigning him in. You bring him in to run an offense when you have a defensive minded head coach that doesn't know offense. Lovie Smith, Mike Nolan, Rod Marinelli. When he has someone like Vermeil running the show, he can win you a Superbowl.

He is a great offensive mind, but like many coaches he needs checks and balances.

Just a thought... If the great Bob Mckitrick had still been coaching the Niner's O-line when Martz came there, he probably would have murdered him. :lol:
Smith missed the entire season when Martz was there and no, it didn't have anything to do with 7-step drops. Last season the Bears O-line sucked. Cutler could have been doing 1-step drops and he would have still been pasted. The Chargers, Ravens, Jaguars and Cowboys ran the same scheme last season, yet aside from the Cowboys, all ranked in the lower half of the NFL when it came to sack percentage, but in the upper half in yards per attempt. That's what comes with a deep ball, high risk/high reward offense. Martz's play-calling didn't change so much as the O-line he had in St Louis started losing stud players and the ones he had left started missing games. In Detroit, San Francisco and worst of all Chicago the offensive lines have been mediocre to terrible. The difference is that the Bears are trying to improve the line by drafting Carimi and keeping Mike Tice as the position coach.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah he did. I was thinking of the following season.

So what you are saying is if you have Orlando Pace in his prime protecting your blind side, Martz's schemes work. :lol: I'll send out a memo.

And yes, those teams all ran similar schemes, but they weren't called by Martz. Every team you listed has a solid running game, and they used it. Martz has been fired twice for not running enough (SF and Detroit) and the Rams fan base, media and front office blasted Martz for not using Faulk and the running game more, which eventually led to his firing while on a medical leave.

It is Martz and his specific style of play calling in his system that is the QB killer.

P.S. Gates, Heap, Witten and Lewis. All the teams you listed have great tightends except the Jags who is merely pretty good. Those teams also use them to help out their QBs.
In '08 Vernon Davis had the lowest totals of his career and last year Olsen had numbers that dipped to on par with his rookie season. Martz doesn't utilize the tight end as a flash option for QBs like all those teams you listed do.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, Jake Locker....man, did he look impressive in his debut. Tennessee might very well have struck gold there.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Havok wrote:I think I can her the Smith haters quieting down after Alex Smith NOW WITH RUNNING ACTION! threw 2 ints and fumbled twice. Smith at least had the excuse of GETTING FUCKING CREAMED REPEATEDLY.
That was painful to watch.

"You've been in the NFL for two whole weeks now, let's see how you fare against the New Orleans defence." CRUNCH. It's unsurprising that he keeps taking off, he trusts his legs - and that's about all he can trust right now.

I don't know what the San Fran media is saying, but even Kaepernick's biggest fans knew he wouldn't be a day 1 starter in the mold of a Sam Bradford. Are people really that upset that they've kept Alex Smith on the roster? Who else is there? :banghead:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:Yeah he did. I was thinking of the following season.

So what you are saying is if you have Orlando Pace in his prime protecting your blind side, Martz's schemes work. :lol: I'll send out a memo.
The loss of RT Fred Miller (the guy who erased Javon Kearse in the Super Bowl) is what really hurt them. The retirement of Jim Hanifan as line coach also hurt because suddenly most of the line started looking really mediocre.

And yes, those teams all ran similar schemes, but they weren't called by Martz. Every team you listed has a solid running game, and they used it. Martz has been fired twice for not running enough (SF and Detroit) and the Rams fan base, media and front office blasted Martz for not using Faulk and the running game more, which eventually led to his firing while on a medical leave.
Faulk was used less from 2001-2005 because he was missing games due to injury (You telling me Martz couldn't magically heal Faulk's injuries or make him younger? Mike Martz is such an asshole!), and because Steven Jackson was outplaying him.

Tell me how those teams did after Martz was fired.
It is Martz and his specific style of play calling in his system that is the QB killer.
Explain how a line that goes from great to mediocre to bad is going to do any better running the ball than in pass protection. Every team in the NFL throws more often than they run.
P.S. Gates, Heap, Witten and Lewis. All the teams you listed have great tightends except the Jags who is merely pretty good. Those teams also use them to help out their QBs.
In '08 Vernon Davis had the lowest totals of his career and last year Olsen had numbers that dipped to on par with his rookie season. Martz doesn't utilize the tight end as a flash option for QBs like all those teams you listed do.
This is the one area where I find some fault with the guy, but Joe Gibbs (who ran the same kind of offense) didn't have much use for the tight end either except as a catching guard (like Martz uses Manumaleuna). Getting rid of Olsen seems like a stupid move (unless you're a Panthers fan), but I wonder how much say an OC has in personnel moves with a team run by Jerry Angelo.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Jackson, Faulk what's the difference, he wasn't using either close to enough and everyone but Martz knew it.

And the Rams sucking after Martz was fired had more to do with a complete exodus of their talent through injury, retirement and free agency. The team needed to rebuild and you can not do it with a pass happy head coach when you've gotten 2 QBs killed, have one receiver on the down slope and a nobody offensive line. Also, as you pointed out, your best weapon is someone you just won't call plays for.

Pass blocking and Run blocking are not mutually exclusive. The Niners have been run blocking great for the last six years. They just can't pass protect worth a damn.

And yes, throwing is the higher percentage route these days, but Martz is ridiculous. I mean sure, give him a Hall of Fame RB, a HoF caliber LT, WR and QB and yeah, he will get you to two Superbowls. But you have to have good pieces to run his style of offense combined with his style of play calling. Detroit, San Francisco and now Chicago are seeing that first hand.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I just saw the NE game. Man, Mallett is clearly another Bellichick miracle. I bet the Bengals are wishing they took him now...
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Aaron Maybin got the chop, finally. So that's Aaron Maybin, cut. John McCargo, cut. Donte Whitner, gone in FA. Marshawn Lynch, traded after a few too many run-ins with the cops, Lee Evans, traded.

Heh, we have 3 first rounders (Dareus, McKelvin, Andy LeVitre) on the roster from 10 years worth of drafting.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

On one hand it sucks that he's washed out, but then again if he can't cut it then it's better to get rid of him now. This is one thing I like about what the Bills have been doing: slashing and burning the dead wood on the roster to allow new growth.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:Jackson, Faulk what's the difference, he wasn't using either close to enough

Because the Rams' defense went over the cliff in 2002 and he was still trying to win games (and mostly succeeding). You know what you call teams that continue calling running plays when the defense is giving up yards and points galore?

2-14

Or worse.
and everyone but Martz knew it.
People often "know" things that just aren't so.
And the Rams sucking after Martz was fired had more to do with a complete exodus of their talent through injury, retirement and free agency.

The exodus was going on long before he was fired.
The team needed to rebuild and you can not do it with a pass happy head coach when you've gotten 2 QBs killed, have one receiver on the down slope and a nobody offensive line. Also, as you pointed out, your best weapon is someone you just won't call plays for.

If he didn't call plays for Faulk or Jackson, how did they get all those yards?

Pass blocking and Run blocking are not mutually exclusive. The Niners have been run blocking great for the last six years. They just can't pass protect worth a damn.
Sacks aren't always on the offensive line, nor are they always the result of play selection. Quarterbacks share responsibility, and the 49ers have at best had mediocre ones for the better part of a decade.

Let's have a look at the 49ers offense over the last several years and see just how Martz (boldface) compares with the other OCs in terms of sack percentage and rushing attempts -the two areas where he's supposedly deficient:

2004: 8.5% -413
2005: 11% -428
2006: 7.3% -438
2007: 9.7% -357
2008: 9.8% -397
2009: 7% -371
2010: 8.1% -401

Notice something? Martz called 40 more runs than his predecessor and 26 more than his successor. So much for the notion that he's allergic to handing off.

You'll also notice that his sack percentage is only slightly higher than that of his predecessor. It is true that the following season shows a drop but it's also true that in 2009 Alex Smith was the QB for most of the season and his sack % is much lower than those of Shaun Hill, Trent Dilfer and J.T. O'Sullivan -about half.
And yes, throwing is the higher percentage route these days, but Martz is ridiculous. I mean sure, give him a Hall of Fame RB, a HoF caliber LT, WR and QB and yeah, he will get you to two Superbowls. But you have to have good pieces to run his style of offense combined with his style of play calling. Detroit, San Francisco and now Chicago are seeing that first hand.
In 2005 Mike McCarthy's offense (italics) had a worse sack percentage, and only 31 more running plays -fewer than 2 per game on average. Clearly a reckless coach, right?
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:On one hand it sucks that he's washed out, but then again if he can't cut it then it's better to get rid of him now. This is one thing I like about what the Bills have been doing: slashing and burning the dead wood on the roster to allow new growth.
Oh, if anything they waited too long. He's got something like 24 tackles in 27 appearances, and was a healthy scratch for double-digit games last season.

To Nix's credit, our rookies were signed promptly, and showed up fit and ready to work... but I've got no idea where they were on the Lee Evans deal.
-Stuart
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My only guess is that they are in full rebuilding mode and are grasping for any draft picks they can get.

And that they hoped Baltimore would be desperate for a WR and misread Ozzie's willingness to deal.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Elfdart wrote:On one hand it sucks that he's washed out, but then again if he can't cut it then it's better to get rid of him now. This is one thing I like about what the Bills have been doing: slashing and burning the dead wood on the roster to allow new growth.
Oh, if anything they waited too long. He's got something like 24 tackles in 27 appearances, and was a healthy scratch for double-digit games last season.

To Nix's credit, our rookies were signed promptly, and showed up fit and ready to work... but I've got no idea where they were on the Lee Evans deal.
I hope the Bills weren't counting on Craig "Bust" Davis being a replacement for Evans, since he's out indefinitely.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey! Where the fuck is my reply?

Damnit.

Ok. Recap. You suck. I'm right!

No seriously. I wrote a long winded reply and I must not have posted it. Now I don't care.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And I have no idea why the Niners didn't pursue Merriman. The whole situation with Julian Peterson and his injury should have shown them that rushers like Merriman need a year or even two to get back to form after a knee injury. He would have been perfect in our system.

Hell he would be perfect with the Chargers this year with Manusky.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I know there is a lot of hate for Vick on the board, and having a dog now, I get it, however...

This is how you fucking do it!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss ... ent_stream

Ignore the interception, because that was just a literal leap of faith on the Steelers part that tipped it, and had he missed it was a completion and Polomaulu is torched for a TD.

Mike Vick still has it. The elusiveness in the pocket is still fucking amazing and the way he cleaned up his own mess... There are maybe 3 or 4 QBs in the league that would even attempt that tackle, let alone make it, and then probably only in, or in a game that gets them into, the playoffs.

I love it.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fucking Christ you fucking idiots, it's fucking football.

:roll:

TWO shootings and a beating.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

So much for a joint stadium.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

These guys should ask Vonta Leach.

Because he showed how it is done when he ran over KC's 52.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:These guys should ask Vonta Leach.

The Chiefs' coach is such a blubbering vagina. He started bitching at Harbaugh for calling a time out late in the game and whined about it afterward. He pulled the same crap last season when the Chiefs lost to the Donkeys. What a crybaby!

While I'm on the subject of things that pissed me off: I loved NBC's coverage of the Myra Kraft memorial service, as well as that riveting interview with Tony Dungy. They even managed to squeeze in a few shots of the Chargers-Cowboys game.
:wanker:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:
Thanas wrote:These guys should ask Vonta Leach.

The Chiefs' coach is such a blubbering vagina. He started bitching at Harbaugh for calling a time out late in the game and whined about it afterward. He pulled the same crap last season when the Chiefs lost to the Donkeys. What a crybaby!
Yeah...It is preseason and for some of these guys the only snaps they will ever get. If the Chief's coach does not want to have two touchdowns scored against him in the last two minutes of the game, maybe he should, you know, get a defence on the field? Or maybe he in his wisdom is already done with evaluating his talent...

And I bet David Reed and Tyrod Taylor are now thanking Harbaugh on their knees for that timeout, after all it was then that they played the best the entire game.

While I'm on the subject of things that pissed me off: I loved NBC's coverage of the Myra Kraft memorial service, as well as that riveting interview with Tony Dungy. They even managed to squeeze in a few shots of the Chargers-Cowboys game.
:wanker:
Wait, what? I thought excessive mentioning of her was only done during the patriots preseason games.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also:

BAM. KC's MLB met the freight train.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:Wait, what? I thought excessive mentioning of her was only done during the patriots preseason games.
It had fuckall to do with giving props to the late Mrs Kraft and everything to do with being fluffers for the Patriots.

I got so sick of NBC's crap coverage of the game that I muted the TV and listened to the radio. I live in Fort Worth so it was the Cowboys' radio team and they (Brad Sham & Babe Laufenberg) did a MUCH better job of covering the game.

Then NBC shunted the game into a small window and spent much of the 3rd quarter having a tedious discussion with Tony Dungy. Yeah, I spent a bundle on a new HD receiver and TV set to watch that sanctimonious putz and listen to his monotone!

I realize that preseason is boring as hell for most people, but imagine someone who has a kid experiencing his one shot to play pro football, and you don't get to see it because NBC wants to indulge in a pure wankfest.