MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Seven year deal with Fox for (at launch) 4 network (PPV equiv) events per year and 32 events on FX.

Now, that 32 consists of 2 seasons of TUF per year with live fights each Friday plus what would logically be 6-8 "Fight Night" equivalent events.

Plus pre and post shows on Fox networks for all events.

It's a serious holy shit deal.
I leave for a week for my wedding anniversary and this is what goes down in the meantime? Holy shit. Goddamn.

But because it's on Fox we can get football robots or something.

...and Gus Johnson.
Motherfucker! It's bad enough that Joe Rogan isn't commentating in Rio, and now we have to deal with Gus Johnson? FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!
Can't they at least get Bas Rutten to do those duties?
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It sounds like Gus Johnson will probably be on the pre/post show duties.

As for Rogan not going to Rio, was that visa issues?

Also check out this new TUF promo/concept reel.

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Does live broadcasting of the TUF fights means they'll count as fights on the athletes' official records instead of just exhibition matches?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It should. That was the main impediment to them counting before - the Athletics Commission would have had to disclose the results immediately.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:It sounds like Gus Johnson will probably be on the pre/post show duties.

As for Rogan not going to Rio, was that visa issues?
Apparently he's filming Fear Factor at that time period, so KenFlo will take over for that show.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I can't believe that they double booked him...
Unless this is him getting edged out... /conspiracy
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:As for Rogan not going to Rio, was that visa issues?
Couldn't hook up with a pot dealer. Or maybe he doesn't want Brazilian customs to give him the full body cavity treatment.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Holy shit. The Rio show might actually be happening.

There's only been one fight drop out so far.

Now we just need every Brazilian on the card to lose so that we can see some amazing rioting that will put Vancouver to shame.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

As a Paulo banana rider how was I never aware of this awesome meme?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Now we just need every Brazilian on the card to lose so that we can see some amazing rioting that will put Vancouver to shame.
Well, that ain't happening. Big Nog and Shogun just added new victims to their highlight reels.
Maybe Okami can pull a flying scissor heel hook out of his ass to get a riot going.

edit: well, so much for that, Silva completes the series of TKOs. Maybe the Brazilians will riot from happiness anyway.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Holy fucking shit what a card.

Jabouin v Loveland was a spectacular opener and the crowd was drowning out the booth even at that point. Seriously, the Brazilians just whupped us Aussies at UFC110 in terms of making life inaudible for everyone else. Lots of people also commented that Canada needs to man the fuck up if they had 50k at a venue and still couldn't be this noisy.

Anyhow, sheer volume isn't the half of it - during the Paulo Thiago fight, apparently this was the chant: "Era, era, era, faca na caveira" or, translated: "Ull, ull, ull, knife on the skull".

Later on they were apparently singing the theme song to Tropa De Elite.

But fucking hell.

Let's talk about Big Nog.

He just did Tito/Bader all over again. What the fuck was that about?

Barboza v Pearson was a great scrap, but Pearson won. No really, that was 29-28 Pearson for anyone who didn't mind getting murdered by the crowd.

Griffin v Rua? Shogun looked bad. Awkward, stiff movement and sluggish. Yes, he beat Griffin, but it's clear that his knees are still a real issue.

And Silva...

As someone else said: "My capacity to be amazed by Anderson Silva is limitless."

When Okami didn't take the aggressive stance and push the pace, I knew it was a matter of time. As soon as Silva just dropped his hands I went: "OH SHIT HERE WE GO!" and away we went.

That man is fucking amazing.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Also awesome tonight was the repeated presence of WALLID! (you have to say it like that).
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Let's talk about Big Nog.

He just did Tito/Bader all over again. What the fuck was that about?
I don't think it was that big of a surprise, he did it to Couture as well and if he'd gone for more punches on the ground instead of trying to sink in a choke on Randy he'd have a TKO in that fight as well. Big Nog isn't elite level anymore but he can still beat the hell out of a TUF guy.
Griffin v Rua? Shogun looked bad. Awkward, stiff movement and sluggish. Yes, he beat Griffin, but it's clear that his knees are still a real issue.
A bit stiff and too attached to that looping right punch, but I don't think he was that sluggish. When closing the distance to land his shots he was about as fast as ever. I thought he was pretty close to where he was in the Chuck Liddell fight, not quite 100% sharp & light on his feet like he was against Machida but well on the way there.

But the best part of the night was the Miller vs. Palhares fight in the prelims. That was just comedy gold all around, man, if Rogan was commentating my abs would still be hurting today from laughing my ass off.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Speaking of Big Nog and Anderson Silva... here's Silva's locker room immediately after Nog's win as filmed by "JZ" Cavalcante; listen at 30 seconds in.

Also, Guile's Theme Goes With Everything, Big Nog Included.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

So, the inaugural Fox event is a one hour slot which will feature... a fight.

Between Cain and JDS.

Man, I almost want this fight to be a five round stinker just to see Dana's reaction.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

weemadando wrote:So, the inaugural Fox event is a one hour slot which will feature... a fight.

Between Cain and JDS.

Man, I almost want this fight to be a five round stinker just to see Dana's reaction.
Seems unlikely at first but all too plausible on second thought. If I were a gambling man I'd've laid down serious money against JDS/Carwin going 3 rounds but it happened.

Strange move. Are they planning to pad out half an hour with commercial dense filler backstory that'll try to justify not showing undercard fights, or stage the title fight early in the hour so they can pick the best of the undercard to fill in the rest of the time. I hope it'll be the second, but I'm not hopeful.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

HOLY FUCK!

Lesnar v Overeem announced for the NYE card.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, if Overeem doesn't sprain his pinky toe again.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I have to imagine that the giant pile of money will adequately support his toes.

Also BHendo v Guida is official for the Nov FOX card
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ebersole v Rory MacDonald announced too - that should be an entertaining fight.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Nick Diaz no-shows a press conference and Dana White was not happy. As in fuck you Diaz, you can fucking say goodbye to your title shot.

Which gives us Carlos Condit vs. GSP for the title in October. Fuck yeah!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What a fucking tool box.

Oh well. Congrats to him on joining Bellator's roster. Because I assume he will end up there as it has GOT to be over for him with Zuffa now.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Apparently Nick Diaz was over at Cesar Gracie's home before the flight for yesterday's press conference was due to leave, then he snuck out the back door and no one has seen him since. Gracie called in during the live conference today and said he still can't find Diaz, plus he completely agrees with Dana.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

There's so many jokes to be made.

Diaz doesn't want to be a fucking fighter.

Diaz is scared homie.

And the biggest - Condit v GSP is actually a better fight.

Now I want to see if Dana goes full King Kong and fires Nate, Shields et al. I have to imagine that's why Cesar isn't even trying to defend Diaz, when usually he goes full mama bear when people talk about his guys (thanks to Jordan Breen for that comparison).
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thank YOU Middleeasy.