What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'll second The Cold Commands.

I'm reading Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. It's been pretty solid so far. I'm also re-reading Robert Levine's Free Ride, about the digital piracy debate from perspectives of content providers (such as movie studios, publishers, etc). It's also a very interesting book, even if you don't agree with him. Lots of bits of information that I didn't know about.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

after much lobbying by my friends and fellow murder readers here in the park I am trying to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (Original Title "Men who Hate Women") and am having a hard time with the gratuitus, un-nessessary for plot, rapes of our supporting female protagonist....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Currently reading Ken Gormley's The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr, which is a real eye-opener for me and has changed my conceptions of virtually that entire case.

Next up will be Jim Hines' Princess series, which I found out about on wiki.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Steve - would you expand a bit re: 'The Death of American Virtue?' Sounds interesting.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Kanastrous wrote:Steve - would you expand a bit re: 'The Death of American Virtue?' Sounds interesting.
It's basically an account of the entire OIC investigation into Clinton's Presidency and all the things attached to it, like Whitewater and the Paula Jones case. The author interviewed several involved persons, including Clinton and Starr, and even brings up material that was not publicly known at the time thanks to the related documents now being available.

I like Gormley's approach because he's carefully neutral and points out the mistakes and errors made on both sides, and furthermore demonstrates all the misconceptions and misjudgements and skewed perspectives that combined to turn the eventual Monicagate case into the fiasco it was. Neither principal is demonized.

It really is an excellent read.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

A whole bunch of library books I had on hold have arrived, so I've got a full roster of books to read. They are Battle Royale, The Crippled God by Steven Erikson, Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer, and Supervolcano by Harry Turtledove.

I'll probably just skim through parts of Crippled God, since I've only read the series up to halfway through Midnight Tides (I've tried and failed to complete that book twice). Supervolcano will get a more thorough read, although my expectations aren't high (the Amazon reviews have been bad).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

My friend has compiled a pretty good semi legal anthology of Stratfor articles on PDF form. So I am going to be working my way through that. I am also thinking about reading some Sherlock Holmes serials.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Guardsman Bass wrote:A whole bunch of library books I had on hold have arrived, so I've got a full roster of books to read. They are Battle Royale, The Crippled God by Steven Erikson, Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer, and Supervolcano by Harry Turtledove.

I'll probably just skim through parts of Crippled God, since I've only read the series up to halfway through Midnight Tides (I've tried and failed to complete that book twice). Supervolcano will get a more thorough read, although my expectations aren't high (the Amazon reviews have been bad).
Trust me, you won't be able to understand "The crippled god" without having read/skimmed most of books 9 (and partially 8).
Midnight tides is also the point where subsequent books are less consistant, and less good AFTER it. (MT itself is still V.good I think).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Urgent Christmas recommendation- The Ultimate Book of Heroic Failures, Stephen Pile; the approximately three decades delayed sequel to The Return of Heroic Failures- which is also good but long out of print. Spectacular incompetence abounds on every page; wonderful.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I skimmed the ending of Crippled God, didn't really understand much of it (not surprisingly).

I also read part of Supervolcano by Turtledove, before skimming the rest of it - it was pretty terrible. Turtledove actually managed to make a story about a massively devastating super-volcano eruption out of Yellowstone dull, and it's because of the unlikeable, forgettable characters plus the poor job he does in driving home the impact of the eruption.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I started and finished Shoot by Douglas Fairbairn. It's pretty fucked up. I found it on my shelf after maybe 6-7 years? Pretty short read, and it flows well.
XXXI
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

Guardsman Bass wrote:A whole bunch of library books I had on hold have arrived, so I've got a full roster of books to read. They are Battle Royale
the manga? badly translated by dark horse? qhich also ruined the trigun translation?

actually, i'm reading trigun now. the scanltion.

i <3 piracy XD
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

ComradeClaus wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:A whole bunch of library books I had on hold have arrived, so I've got a full roster of books to read. They are Battle Royale
the manga? badly translated by dark horse? qhich also ruined the trigun translation?

actually, i'm reading trigun now. the scanltion.

i <3 piracy XD
No, the original novel. Which I ended up skimming and putting down, because I couldn't get into it. I think the manga may have ruined it for me in terms of overall events and storyline (I read the manga first).

I'm reading Hiding the Elephant, a nonfiction history about stage magic. It's been very interesting so far.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Finished Jim Hines' Princess series. It was excellent. Now to pick something else to read. Freedom from Fear, an entry into the Oxford history of the US.... a WWI book.... hrm.

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

My copy of The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams has arrived, and I've been absorbed in reading. It's very enjoyable.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Guardsman Bass wrote: No, the original novel. Which I ended up skimming and putting down, because I couldn't get into it. I think the manga may have ruined it for me in terms of overall events and storyline (I read the manga first).
The translation of Battle Royale is awful. The sentence construction is all very Japanese, which simply does not flow well in English. It's quite a good story, but you have to fight through the terrible translation to get at it.

Anyway, just finished How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel. Now reading Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Singh is EXCELLENT. Try "The Code book" after that :D. (IT's even better!).

Now starting: "The Smartest guys in the Room: Enron", and WH40K: "Deliverance Lost".
Also read and finished "Aurelian" by Aaron Dembsky Bowden. (Which was Great. Bowden's the best author in 40K these days in my humble opinion.)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Singh is EXCELLENT. Try "The Code book" after that :D. (IT's even better!).
I've already read that (and I saw the TV programs he made of them when they came out), and Trick or Treatment.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Just finished Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons, which was a great book that made me very afraid of ever being shipwrecked. Now starting David Marr's Panic and trying to grind through my economics textbook that arrived five weeks into my course. I think I'm going to be very sick of the word 'globalization' by this time next year.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Finished Neil Asher's Shadow of the Scorpion and beginning The Skinner. I've just started reading his stuff, but I'm digging his Polity novels. I'm also finishing up rereading The White Luck Warrior and starting on another go through of Caine Black Knife. God damn Bakker and Stover can write.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Fuck, Zahn releases a new Star Wars novel and I don't fucking know about it?! This lapse is unacceptable.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Currently reading the Conquerors trilogy by Tim Zahn. it was written in 1996 and to be honest it shows, a lot of the concepts are very dated and it had not aged well.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just finished Game of Thrones last night. Exams and life kept on getting in the way, but I'm done with that book now. I also read Star Trek Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions in the span of a night.
Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

Last week i finished "Use of Weapons", another Culture novel. Not sure what to think about it, it was very different from "Consider Phlebas" or "Surface Detail". Critics are usually good, if not praising but i wasn't very impressed, although it had its moments. Seemed a lot like a deep character study of one of the protagonists. Maybe i should read it again some time later.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Number Theoretic wrote:Last week i finished "Use of Weapons", another Culture novel. Not sure what to think about it, it was very different from "Consider Phlebas" or "Surface Detail". Critics are usually good, if not praising but i wasn't very impressed, although it had its moments. Seemed a lot like a deep character study of one of the protagonists. Maybe i should read it again some time later.
Ummm... Because that's what it is? I think Use Of Weapons gets a lot of praise for two main reasons; its very unconventional approach to structure and the massive twist at the end.

For myself, I've been reading through my Admiral Hornblower omnibus; Flying Colours, The Commodore and Lord Hornblower. I was partway through Hornblower in the West Indies when my sister leant me Snuff to read before she goes back to uni on tuesday so I've been tackling that.