High school algebra/geometry
17%
Trigonometry
13%
Differential calculus
11%
Integral calculus
22%
Partial degree that makes use of math (detail in post)
10%
Degree in engineering (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in science (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in math (detail math experience in post)
8%
Terminal degree and research (detail research area/experience in post)
2%

Total votes: 156

starslayer
Jedi Knight

Re: Just how much math have you learned?

Post by starslayer »

Duchess of Zeon wrote:I mentioned DiffEqs? That's all I've heard it referred to as, though I see the correct term is PDE, apparently.

Or is there some difference between the two?
There are two types of differential equations: ordinary ones (ODEs) and partial ones (PDEs). ODEs have only one variable, PDEs have multiple variables. They're usually taught at different times because PDEs tend to be much more difficult to solve. A "Differential Equations" class is almost guaranteed to be ODEs; they'll usually explicitly say "PDEs" if they're going to cover those.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I've got a computer science degree. That's one that should be rather maths-heavy but often isn't for a variety of reasons. My degree was leaning towards the maths-light end of things and I do regret not attending an institution with a more thorough syllabus now.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

"Partial degree that makes use of math (detail in post)"
Well, if passing first year university Bachelor of Science maths, and then dropping out in second year counts.
God's, that was years ago.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Highschool algebra/geometry, but I'll be going to college in a year or so. I'm hoping to get an engineering degree in aerospace engineering.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

salm wrote:
SCRawl wrote:
salm wrote:Aren´t trigenometry and calculus included in high school mathematics? It used to be where i went to high school.
They are if you take more than the minimum required number of math courses. Where I went to school -- in Canada -- trigonometry was in grade 11, and calculus was in grade 13 (which was the fifth year of high school, before it was truncated to four years). Mandatory math stopped at grade 10, but of course, we had to take five years of english, despite the fact that most of us are native speakers. There's a rant there, but I'll leave it be for now.
Ok. Here in Germany we had to take Math until grade 13 (9th year of highschool). I think calculus started in 11. Trigonometry started way earlier. Year 8 perhaps? Can´t really remember. It´s been 10 years ago.

But the school system is very different here and people who only go to 10 year or 9 year highschools might not have trigenometry or calculus.
In America (Colorado, at least) mandatory high school math runs up to Trigonometry and intermediate Algebra. Calculus I was available as an Advanced Placement course and taken by (approximating here) 10% of students, and more advanced classes were arranged for with local colleges for the most accelerated 1-3%. Of course, this was at an upper-middle class high school IN a college town; other districts' mileage may vary.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I have a degree in computer science, which should count as a degree in math, rather than science. I also have minors in math and physics.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion