The Olympics/Paralympics 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Re: The Olympics 2012

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

The problem with images and posts like that is that it carries the potentially disturbing undercurrent/implication that "other" people have to ruthlessly and cruelly manipulate their children in order to stand up to "our" athletes, who would, of course, never undergo such routines. It doesn't matter whether "we" are American and "they" are Chinese or not, the implication is the same: there is one side who physically cannot compare to the other without manipulation beyond the realms of decency which the other side, of course, always abides by.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Masami von Weizegger wrote:The problem with images and posts like that is that it carries the potentially disturbing undercurrent/implication that "other" people have to ruthlessly and cruelly manipulate their children in order to stand up to "our" athletes, who would, of course, never undergo such routines. It doesn't matter whether "we" are American and "they" are Chinese or not, the implication is the same: there is one side who physically cannot compare to the other without manipulation beyond the realms of decency which the other side, of course, always abides by.
Indeed. Of course, by being accepted into a training program in China, the gymnast guarantees herself a good education, a state pension, decent housing for herself and her family, etc. Gymnasts in the West undergo the same training, but at their family's expense.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Masami von Weizegger wrote:

American news outlets reconfiguring the medal tables in Beijing to rank countries in total number of medals instead of most gold (then silver, then bronze) as is the tradition so that the US would be ranked first was pretty funny though. While it's hardly just the Americans who are making these sorts of accusations, the ascension of China and its place in the American national culture as some sort of Neo Soviet Union Part Two: Electric Bugaloo seems to be helping to poison coverage of their athletes at these games (and in 2008 to a great extent).
NBC has just done it again. Still as hilarious four years ago!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

fgalkin wrote:NBC has just done it again. Still as hilarious four years ago!
They're having problems though. Any bets on how long it'll be before they decide that a bronze medal is the greatest accolade of the Olympic Games? :lol:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Behold, the games according to NBC!

Not that I'm complaining for them making Russia rank 3rd instead of 10th. :D

EDIT: At this moment, the system has come back to bite them in the ass since the US is currently ranked first in gold (21 vs 20) but second overall (41 vs 42). NBC ranks them second.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

fgalkin wrote:Behold, the games according to NBC!

Not that I'm complaining for them making Russia rank 3rd instead of 10th. :D

EDIT: At this moment, the system has come back to bite them in the ass since the US is currently ranked first in gold (21 vs 20) but second overall (41 vs 42). NBC ranks them second.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
You'd think by now there would be an internationally accepted weighted average to determine the overall champion. 3 points for gold 2 for silver 1 for bronze... or something.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The IOC doesn't rank nations, because of the whole "foster cooperation, not competition between nations" thing of the Olympics. It's the people who are competing, not countries.

Obviously, that hasn't been true for a long time, but there is still no official ranking of any kind. However, the IOC does publish medal tables for nations "for informational purposes only," which sorts countries by gold medals won. But it's officially not a ranking, it's a sorting.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm calling it; this is the best Olympics to watch, the BBC iPlayer makes this fucking awesome!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

fgalkin wrote:The IOC doesn't rank nations, because of the whole "foster cooperation, not competition between nations" thing of the Olympics. It's the people who are competing, not countries.

Obviously, that hasn't been true for a long time, but there is still no official ranking of any kind. However, the IOC does publish medal tables for nations "for informational purposes only," which sorts countries by gold medals won. But it's officially not a ranking, it's a sorting.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The IOC can blabber on about ranbows lollipops and moonbeams all they want, I've always viewed the Olympics as a harmless and fun way to be nationalistic and cheer on my countrymen/women as they defeat a rival nation without anyone having to get hurt and or blown up. If we lose, we'l get 'em next year.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

So does everyone else, of course, but you asked why there is no official average to determine rankings, and that is the answer. :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just curious - if we counted Europe as one group, how would Europe rank as a whole compared to everyone else? (Presume "Europe" to include everything from the Atlantic to Russia)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Broomstick wrote:Just curious - if we counted Europe as one group, how would Europe rank as a whole compared to everyone else? (Presume "Europe" to include everything from the Atlantic to Russia)
All of Europe? Let's see, as of today, we have: 40 Gold, 55 Silver, 58 Bronze. 153 Total.

On another note, if the Soviet Union was around today, they would have had 12 Gold, 13 Silver, 17 Bronze and 42 Total.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
The IOC can blabber on about ranbows lollipops and moonbeams all they want, I've always viewed the Olympics as a harmless and fun way to be nationalistic and cheer on my countrymen/women as they defeat a rival nation without anyone having to get hurt and or blown up. If we lose, we'l get 'em next year.
Thats a great attitude to have. Unfortunately I am not that keen in sports anymore compared to when I was younger, and like Tsyroc the bad sportsmanship is really turning me off (and I include my own country in that observation, although we seem better behaved these days, at least in regards to the sporting event itself). From what I know at least the Chinese appear gracious in victory and defeat.

Now back to your other point about an international method of recognising medal count. I suggest we award it by a point system, where gold > silver > bronze etc. My thoughts are gold gets 7 points, silver 3 points and bronze 1 point. This is heavily weighted towards gold of course. I am sure people will come up with a variation of the theme.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Oh, more on the NBC coverage of the Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... GtP9eTgNn8
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Crown wrote:I'm calling it; this is the best Olympics to watch, the BBC iPlayer makes this fucking awesome!
Agreed, i've been watching it while at work and I can pick and choose what I want to watch, or just watch the main channels. Been great coverage from the BBC so far.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Has there ever been a more dominant gold medal match than what Serena Williams just pulles off? I ctually feel bad for Maria Sharapova. Incredible.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

fgalkin wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Just curious - if we counted Europe as one group, how would Europe rank as a whole compared to everyone else? (Presume "Europe" to include everything from the Atlantic to Russia)
All of Europe? Let's see, as of today, we have: 40 Gold, 55 Silver, 58 Bronze. 153 Total.

On another note, if the Soviet Union was around today, they would have had 12 Gold, 13 Silver, 17 Bronze and 42 Total.
Possibly a few more; didn't they push their athletes pretty hard? Might get a bit better performance out of that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Has there ever been a more dominant gold medal match than what Serena Williams just pulles off? I ctually feel bad for Maria Sharapova. Incredible.
Look at Serena's record in London. She was doing that to EVERYONE she met in the Olympics. I am not kidding, all her wins were 6-0 to 6-3 two set curbstomps.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

GB Just claimed gold in the Heptathlon- would have been uproar had poster girl Jessica Ennis not won it! :lol:

Greg Rutherford got gold in the long jump- no-one would have expected that, and Mo Farah won the 10k!

All I can say is, our best athletics ever- that was fucking awesome! :mrgreen:
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Maybe I don't notice the bad sportsmanship as much because I'm just glad that NBC is not ESPN or the vast wasteland of sports talk radio, which both subscribe to "If you don't win it all you are a failure and a choker and a bad person and a laughingstock". American sports culture is so poisonous and nasty that even if the Olympics are covered in an American-centric way, it's nice to listen to anchors and analysts who aren't Ricky Bobby's father. Though I am pissed at how skimpy the field coverage is. I want to see the jumping and throwing more than in five minute segments.

Except that fucker from gymnastics, who is never, ever positive.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Oh no, there goes Malaysia's chance at Olympic gold (badminton singles). Would have been nice to hear the anthem at least once...oh well.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The US is expected to win the most medals since China no longer has the home ground advantage, especially when they can no longer field such a big team as they are no longer the host country. However it seems both the US and China have now equal number of gold medals, with China having more silver and more total medals (as I type). Under the traditional IOC system and the one NBC has adopted, China will be in the lead. I must say this close competition between China and the US for total medal count is making it interesting. Congratulations to both countries. Just wish people would be gracious in victory and defeat.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Don't think GB will be getting as many medals as in Beijing, but quite frankly, who cares? Its been a bloody entertaining event so far, and I'm not a sporty type.

WTF is going on with the Ozzies, though? Its been looking a bit shambolic really. We need you around to keep us level-headed!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

And now the universe is about to implode. Andy Murry managed to beat Roger Federer in the singles to get gold. Bye bye universe!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The fact that the unexpected can happen is, frankly, the only thing that makes it regularly interesting to me.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice