FIFA World Cup Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Re: FIFA World Cup - Predictions?

Post by D.Turtle »

Brazil work hard to defeat North Korea?

The problem was that Brazil simply didn't work at all to defeat North Korea. The few times where they actually decided to move a bit they immediately scored goals or had chances. Hell, even the counter-goal of the North Koreans was caused by the Brazilians simply being asleep and not doing anything.

Its not so much that North Korea made it difficult for Brazil, but that Brazil played so terribly that North Korea actually had a chance.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

isn't that the whole point of tactics, to make the other team not play their's? North korea's formation in midfield was diamond formation and for most of the frst half all of brazil chances were long shots from outside the box because key players were getting cut off. Brazil until the second half were forced to take cannon shots from far outside the box. What was clear though is that brazil did lack motivation, or badly understimated Korea's willingness to play at them early on.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

To be frank, I think it is hard to attack when the North Koreans played in such a defensive manner.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Very strong defence. I was watching from the second half on cuz the guy I sit next to in Accounting pulled out his laptop, I actually missed Brazil's second goal because I was listening to the lecture and he didn't make any noise like I expected him to, so when I saw DPRK's goal I was amazed and thought they had tied it up.

Man, that would've been something!
XXXI
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

ray245 wrote:To be frank, I think it is hard to attack when the North Koreans played in such a defensive manner.
Australia tried that tactic, and we managed to attack quite effectively.

Seriously, you just had to look how little the Brazilians moved. It would be interesting to see a statistic of how much ground they covered in comparison to other teams. It was fucking pathetic.

[edit]Ah, found something:
FIFA site wrote:Distance covered :
South Africa vs Mexico - 235041
Australia vs Germany - 225562
Brazil vs North Korea - 207133
Argentina vs Nigeria - 188748
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

I just found out I know a member of the U.S. World Cup team.

Guess I need to watch the matches now.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Jason L. Miles wrote:I just found out I know a member of the U.S. World Cup team.

Guess I need to watch the matches now.
Which one?

And I don't see how you're obligated, seeing as you didn't even know you knew someone on the team. I mean, I'm pretty sure you're only obligated if it's someone you're close to, and if that was the case you would have already known, right?
XXXI
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I had hoped that Portugal would win this game at least with a slim margin but instead will have to settle for a draw. This a good thing for the IC but potentially bad for Portugal. Assuming both lose against Brazil and win against NK then they'd be tied for second. Do they break the point stalemate with total goals scored?

As for the Brazil vs. NK match, although I wasn't able to watch the game I kept tabs on the score. Though I wasn't surprised that Brazil won, I was surprised that NK did well enough to score a goal.

Question, why is Group G considered the Group of Death? That is what I understood from the close captioning (barely hear and can't raise the volume without pissing a bunch of people.). Then again the closed captioning also misheard Portugal and wrote "Purity Ghoul". :) lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I think it's because it's got three very good teams (Brazil, Portugal, and Ivory Coast) but only two can advance. So I guess it's the group of death because one very good team has to die for the others to go on? I understand all of them have a shot at the Cup.
XXXI
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Phantasee wrote:I think it's because it's got three very good teams (Brazil, Portugal, and Ivory Coast) but only two can advance. So I guess it's the group of death because one very good team has to die for the others to go on? I understand all of them have a shot at the Cup.
It's also completely balls for the DPRK, being the lowest ranked team in the whole thing by 78 places.

Source.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I think it was cute that the Norks sent 50 supporters (even though they might have been hired chinese out of fear that the Norks wouldn't come back).
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Anybody else getting pissed off with those fucking horns yet. Sounds like a fucking herd of elephant's in heat.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

re: Switzerland vs. Spain

This is *eerily* similar to when Switzerland beat Canada 2-0 in ICE HOCKEY in 2006. They very nearly did it again in 2010. What is their secret?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Lord Pounder wrote:Anybody else getting pissed off with those fucking horns yet. Sounds like a fucking herd of elephant's in heat.
I hated them on the first day but after Germanys biggest tabloid rag (Bild) had the headline that the horns are "annoying everybody" i decided to love them.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Modax wrote:re: Switzerland vs. Spain

This is *eerily* similar to when Switzerland beat Canada 2-0 in ICE HOCKEY in 2006. They very nearly did it again in 2010. What is their secret?
Ottmar Hitzfeld. Just like the Greeks won the Euro 04 under German leadership. :)
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

I was thinking more along the lines of "absolute terror field" :|
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Congrats to the Swiss. Glad to see Spain losing this match.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

We'll have spain blaming the ball now.

Captivating game, and really the first big shocker of the tournament. About time too.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

Spain were unlucky to lose, the swiss defended well, and could of even had 2 goals.

The spanish needed to push more, it didn't seem to me they wanted it enough, and dropped their heads after going 1-0 down, shoulda played Cesc tbh, and started in 4-4-2, single striker didn't work at all, though I could see the managers thinking, ie, he knew the swiss would probably play 2 banks of 4 so they needed to have more wide players.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Lord Pounder wrote:Anybody else getting pissed off with those fucking horns yet. Sounds like a fucking herd of elephant's in heat.
|That's one way of putting it. Am tired of hearing that toneless noise as well. I know it's part of african football culture and such but it's drowning out fan support and chants.

What we need are bagpipes, thousands of them!

Surprised spain lost, hopefully they'll pick up (they better my culmultive bets rely on them winning their next two matches!)

And for the brits here, what do you think of ITV's service of the world cup? I think their sport commentators are a joke, other then that you have the likes of adrian chiles a west brom fan and not even a football experinced player like liniker. You now have ITV having to sack on of their own 'sportsman' for touting his tickets that somehow found their way to a beer company who used ambush marketing.

how ITV even maintain the rights to show the world cup is beyond me.
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

Korgeta wrote: And for the brits here, what do you think of ITV's service of the world cup? I think their sport commentators are a joke, other then that you have the likes of adrian chiles a west brom fan and not even a football experinced player like liniker. You now have ITV having to sack on of their own 'sportsman' for touting his tickets that somehow found their way to a beer company who used ambush marketing.

how ITV even maintain the rights to show the world cup is beyond me.
Well bbc have motty of course, and a generally better analysis panel. But Mick Mcarthy (bbc) does my head in, overall I don't mind too much either sides commentators, I only really need them to identify players on the ball on teams I don't know very well.

One thing I do dislike on itv is the constant super slow motion shots, action ones are ok, but I dont need to see a super slow motion grimace or someone spitting in slow motion :D They have slow motion on bbc also, but not to the same extreme that I have noticed.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Wow it looks like South Africa is really going to lose this at 2-0 to Uruguay.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

3-0 at 94 minutes. This is a humiliation for SA
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The south Africans are utterly devastated by their loss this match.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

They played a dreadful match, and deserved to get their asses kicked for such a terrible showing.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes