Cooking and puttering about the finnish countryside

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Cooking and puttering about the finnish countryside

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I have tried repainting the headlight arms, I used brake caliper paint. A bit of a shoddy job on my part but it looks much better now, new wipers too. I think this is a really useful feature for winter driving. Sure I don't drive this in winter but still...

I also added an extra washer pump in series with the original one (new one near the headlight)

Much more powerful now, also replaced the right hand washer nozzle with a dual stream one, from factory it was only a single. Why I dunno. Now it really hoses down the windshield.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZM4wD1FjOo[/youtube]
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow

youtube tag seems to be on the fritz
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

That SAAB looks really nice. Always been a Volvo man myself. I once had a mint green Volvo 740, like your mother likes. :)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
His Divine Shadow

Thanks, it was in good shape when I got it but I've changed so many parts on it already and I got years of work left too. I'm trying to bring it to nearly new condition. My mother isn't a volvo person though, they're all about Mazdas. Now I wouldn't mind an old volvo actually, a 245 or maybe a 745 or 945. They're a bit fuel hungry however...

I removed the inside door panel on the left rear door last night. Wanted to check what it looks like inside. I will want to go through all the doors like this.

This is behind the door handle is screwed on, it has started to rust. Suspect water ingress through the screw hole and no rust proofing in the thread. I brushed it over with linseed oil. At some point I'll probably blast and epoxy prime this spot. Also a good idea to remove the handle and put some sort of sealant there.

The bottom inside of the door, don't know if I see rust there n the corner, or if it's the wax. But I spray linseed oil here too. I also used a small brush to get linseed oil in a bunch of seams. It'll penetrate into the seams, do it's antirust thing and oxidize, swelling and sealing the seams from further water ingress.

Every damn time I open the door he goes in, don't know why he loves the Saab, don't do this with any other car.

His Divine Shadow

Less positive news, rust hole in bottom, drivers side footwell:

Feels pretty localized though. Gonna have to rip out the interior mats and weld it from above.

Seat belt lock for drivers side stopped latching too, so I had to remove that as well and get a replacement. Might as well get the seat out.

Looked under the carpet and there it is:

I am gonna try and ignore it for now... sprayed linseed oil on it and then put thick oily crap over it. Maybe I'll have time to fix it towards autumn. Got other things to think of right now.

Cat video:
https://i.imgur.com/VVsFQLE.mp4
His Divine Shadow

Something less car-ish, but it's actually still related. It's a car phone! Made in the late 80s and for the NMT network. That's an analog 1g network that was what we had before GSM. I remember reading that the nordic countries had the most extensive networks and most amount of mobile phones in the world back in the 80s thanks to Nokia and NMT.

NMT used 450mhz and later 900mhz, the earlier 450mhz gave lots of range when combined with the 15W transmitter that those phones had.

They didn't shut the NMT network down in iceland until the 2010s and it still exists somewhere in siberia!!! That's incredible to me.

Picked up this phone last night, Nokia Mobira Talkman, this one is likely a 900mhz version:

Doesn't specify what Talkman it is, just looks like a 520, this is the designation on the phone:

15 pin serial connector, unsure what it's purpose is.

The phone handset

It uses an RJ45 connector, with it's own color code, I assume it uses serial communication:

No charger though. Needs 12V though and likely several amps.

I'm not sure what I want to do with it, except I want it to work, I want it to live!

There are two ways to go about it, either rip out the guts and replace it with something modern like just make it into a bluetooth set for a modern phone, or the more complicated option. Build an NMT base station simulator, funnily enough there's software for that (and other analog networks) and then connect that to something modern:
http://osmocom-analog.eversberg.eu/

Of course this latter option appeals to me. Just the idea of using that old circuitry and going analog even if only for a short hop to a base station that's a meter away. See what I really want is to install this in my Saab and have it work, ideall with it's own working phone number.

I also want to install in this car it's own 4G modem / router with it's own sim card to make use of the 900mhz antenna on the roof so I can have good wifi out here in the sticks, I lose connection now and then with just my phones built in antenna.

So I got this crazy idea of this phone mounted in the front and in the trunk I have a raspberry pi server or something running osmocom-analog and an asterisk PBX with the required hardware. The sim cards phone number would be the cars phone number and direct to the old phone.

It would be cool, not sure I can make it work. Biggest hurdle is an SDR transceiver, they are not cheap even if they have gone down massively in price. Then I really gotta figure out telephony systems it's all very hard right now because I don't really know how VoLTE and telephony stuff is routed. But give it a few years maybe I'll learn this stuff, maybe I'll loose interest and give up (more likely).