2018 Formula 1 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

2018 Formula 1 Season

Post by Alferd Packer » 2018-03-23 10:09am

We back, baby! And we have a new logo! And everyone except for the UK can get a premium streaming service directly from F1, apparently. I know I'll be looking into it after suffering through ESPN's hideous coverage of the races.

As for the actual cars, it's probably going to be an easy cruise for Lewis Hamilton. Red Bull and Ferrari are going to snatch away at least a few wins, of course, but barring any prolonged catastrophes, the Merc is too good to beat, and Hamilton is consistently faster than Bottas. After all, the only thing that made 2014-2016 even remotely tolerable was that Rosberg could actually fight Hamilton--Bottas cannot do that. So we have to hope for Seb or Max or Daniel to wring out absolutely everything from their machines to challenge Hamilton, but...

Happily, it looks like the midfield is really competitive this year, so hopefully we'll see them sneak onto a few podiums, and some good fights for P4 in the constructor's championship.

With all that said, I am looking forward to Australia. Max looked really fast in FP2, so who knows? Maybe someone other than Lewis can get the pole tomorrow.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.

atg
Jedi Master

Re: 2018 Formula 1 Season

Post by atg » 2018-03-24 08:22pm

So Hamilton took pole by .6 but Vettel and Verstappen had mistakes on their best runs which cost them around .2-.3. I think this race is going to be tighter than quali looks with Merc having issues getting the Ultrasofts to last in practice.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-03-25 09:35pm

So thanks to the Virtual Safety Car, Vettel passed Hamilton via pit stops. Hamilton seemed to struggle for pace, looks like the Merc is at its strongest when there's no-one in front! :lol:

Haas has been doing brilliantly until problems with the wheel guns put both cars out of the race within as many laps of each other, much to the frustration of all involved.

McLaren actually got both cars into the points now they're using Renault engines, something they rarely managed with Honda. I think they got more points in one race than all of last season... the piece of shit they had was the worst since their outing with Peugeot in 1994. Though I'd argue the Honda was worse since at least McLaren had the good sense to ditch the former after just one season! :mrgreen:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer » 2018-03-26 09:05am

I was pleasantly surprised at how low the attrition rate was. Usually there are 7-8 retirements in the first race of the year, and we only had 5--two of which were not mechanical.

I will also allow myself a glimmer of hope that the Merc has a failing--it's not good in traffic. Bottas was on the struggle bus the entire race. Had Hamilton equal tires to Seb, he probably could have challenged for first, but actually overtaking him may not be a sure thing. Overtaking Vettel, after all, is no easy thing.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort » 2018-03-26 01:17pm

Alferd Packer wrote:
2018-03-26 09:05am
I will also allow myself a glimmer of hope that the Merc has a failing--it's not good in traffic.
Correction - it's not good in traffic at Melbourne, which applies to every car on the grid.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg » 2018-03-29 01:48am

Captain Seafort wrote:
2018-03-26 01:17pm
Alferd Packer wrote:
I will also allow myself a glimmer of hope that the Merc has a failing--it's not good in traffic.
Correction - it's not good in traffic at Melbourne, which applies to every car on the grid.
Yep there was very little overtaking at Melbourne - but I don't think it's down to just the track.I personally think changing the aero rules for the 2017 season was a bad idea. Yes the cars are a few seconds a lap quicker but the whole point of the previous regs were to reduce the 'dirty' air problem to aid in overtaking. Hopefully the group Ross Brawn is heading up can bring about some changes again into the right direction.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-03-31 01:45pm

atg wrote:
2018-03-29 01:48am
Captain Seafort wrote:
2018-03-26 01:17pm
Alferd Packer wrote:
Yep there was very little overtaking at Melbourne - but I don't think it's down to just the track.I personally think changing the aero rules for the 2017 season was a bad idea. Yes the cars are a few seconds a lap quicker but the whole point of the previous regs were to reduce the 'dirty' air problem to aid in overtaking. Hopefully the group Ross Brawn is heading up can bring about some changes again into the right direction.
Sadly they're still not as fast as they can be- it's not right that lap records set by Schumacher all the way back in 2004 still stand today. Luckily there's only a handful of tracks on the current calendar that still have the 2004 figures as fastest lap, for all sorts of reasons.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer » 2018-04-03 01:22pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-03-31 01:45pm
Sadly they're still not as fast as they can be- it's not right that lap records set by Schumacher all the way back in 2004 still stand today. Luckily there's only a handful of tracks on the current calendar that still have the 2004 figures as fastest lap, for all sorts of reasons.
I was watching a video about the 2018-spec IndyCars, specifically how they moved more the downforce off the wings so that they're less hampered by dirty air, and one of the interviewees had a comment salient to all open-wheel racing. Essentially, he said that we've been able to build cars that human beings are incapable of driving for the better part of 20 years, so we've been simply oscillating around a perceived optimum of performance, driveabilty, and the entertaining racing since then.

Point being that the FIA could release a formula for cars that would be 10 seconds a lap faster than the 2004 cars, but there would be tradeoffs. Maybe they'd be impossible to drive through high-G corners like Pouhon without drivers blacking out. Maybe the chassis could no long pass FIA crash tests, and there exist no materials strong enough to do the job.

I mean, the 2018 cars are possibly the fastest ever--but if they are, they'll be incrementally faster than the lap records set in 2004/2017. And the 2020 cars, the last of this particular formula, might in turn be the fastest cars ever again, but the gains, if any, are going to be diminishing, because we've already hit the limits of what human beings can endure for 2 hours on a racetrack. A drastic overshoot of that hard limit is too dangerous, so the FIA/constructors/track designers have to always err on the side of caution.

atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg » 2018-04-15 07:41am

Man what a race and what a win by Ricciardo and Red Bull. Great call on the tires and pit crew double stacking the cars twice!

lordroel
Redshirt

Post by lordroel » 2018-04-16 03:04pm

atg wrote:
2018-04-15 07:41am
Man what a race and what a win by Ricciardo and Red Bull. Great call on the tires and pit crew double stacking the cars twice!
To bad a certain Dutch driver did two stupid things in the race, he could have won it if he wanted to.
| Alternate Timelines Forum | home of a small but active alternate history community |