What is your opinion on GMO foods and irradiation food treatment?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FancyDarcy
Youngling

What is your opinion on GMO foods and irradiation food treatment?

Post by FancyDarcy »

I am curious to hear what you guys think of these subjects, as both have a following of hatreds. I have never tried irradiated foods before, but I've heard that they taste different because they're "dead", especially with stronger treatments.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and irradiation food treatment?

Post by aerius »

Hell if I know, it all tastes like chicken...
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

aerius wrote:Hell if I know, it all tastes like chicken...
Except the chicken of course. :? :|
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I once had an opportunity to taste irradiated meat. It tasted just like the same thing but not irradiated. Generally, unless you're talking about still-twitching muscle tissue, it's dead when you eat it. It's certainly dead after it's cooked. People who asserted irradiated food tastes different because it's "dead" are on par with those using crystals to adjust their chakras. Extremely high levels of radiation can change the taste of the food, but those levels are not necessary to destroy pests and extend shelf life.

Americans have been eating GMO's for years. Maybe eating GMO's leads to a love of guns and a hatred of nationalized health care, but I think that's correlation and not causation.

Funny, I'm not aware of any insulin-using diabetics rejecting GMO insulin in favor of grinding up sheep pancreases. Granted that's not food, but you'd think if there were inherent problems with GMO's they would show up sooner with something you inject several times a day vs. eating,
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

On irradiated vs non-irradiated: I'm not convinced that there is a taste difference. If you want to convince me that there is, show me the results of a simple double blind taste test on the food in question.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Every food that we produce is a GMO. We've been M'ing the G's since before recorded history. You think sheep started off short, slow, covered in a useful textile, and docile? Not before the talking monkeys got to them.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Raw Shark wrote:Every food that we produce is a GMO. We've been M'ing the G's since before recorded history. You think sheep started off short, slow, covered in a useful textile, and docile? Not before the talking monkeys got to them.
This.

There is a pretty good chance you've NEVER had food that wasn't genetically modified. Basically, unless you're into some wilderness survival training and ate a dandelion or a squirrel, everything you've ever eaten has been engineered specifically for human consumption. Hell, that's what agriculture DOES, almost by definition.

The only difference is these days we are a lot faster and more efficient with the tools we use to perform the modification.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, it's hilarious when I run into some anti-GMO woo-woo type who wants their organic chicken but claims to detest "game meat". Honey (it's usually a woman), that "organic chicken" you praise is one of the most modified organisms on Earth! If you want "natural" fowl you need to go out the woods and fields and shoot a duck or pheasant which will NOT have undergone countless generations of controlled breeding for the characteristics humans want in a bird.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

FancyDarcy wrote:I am curious to hear what you guys think of these subjects, as both have a following of hatreds. I have never tried irradiated foods before, but I've heard that they taste different because they're "dead", especially with stronger treatments.
GMO is delicious, nutritious, more efficient, and more predictable.

Irradiated food is, when packaged right, likely to have a pretty much indefinite shelf-life.

I say "Yes please" to both.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Given that the options at this point are, given predicted population and arable-land trends, pretty much a) massive use of GMO crops; b) vast improvements in international food infrastructure and huge calorie reductions in developed countries; or c) billions of people starve to death over the next century or so, I'd say yes, both of these are not just good, but necessary.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Today's food, processed a lot or little, is all artificial unless you're a sustenance hunter-gatherer in the wilderness or work a farm whose produts you entirely subsist on (ie, the exception). The most important thing today is that it is safe to eat and whether we have enough of it. Not to mention nutritional concerns that is a growing problem, although partly tied into consumerist society. That is why modern governments have food regulation agencies and why they are important.

Talking about whether a product is GMO or not, as well as being finicky about method of sterilization, is a weak, ineffectual method that places more value on the mental asthetics of the food's origin than its actual health or facts. Assuming foods made by GMO crops is somehow unhealthy is just... lazy and takes comfort more in ignorance and pretensions to being ascetic or more in line with nature or whatever bullshit is being fantasized. GMOs are the future of food because the past of food has been pretty much the same except done with more clumsy, indirect ways that rely on the luck of mutations to archive the same end. GMOs actually would (or at least could) be better for the environment because it would decrease environmental pollution. That is not to say that the corporations that make them don't do bad shit or that the technology cannot be abused for business practices, but that is a separate problem of how people use the technology rather than an inherent problem with the technology itself.
have never tried irradiated foods before, but I've heard that they taste different because they're "dead", especially with stronger treatments.
The point isn't to be culinary masterpieces, the point is sterilization to increase shell-life. To be frank, that's what regular cooking does as well except irradiation is more throughout. The problem likely lies more in that no culinary chef has gone out of their way to figure out how to use irradiation to the best effect for taste.

That said, humans are very suggestible creatures that are very biased. I would not be surprised that if tested, people could not actually tell whether meat tasted more "dead" than non-irradiated meat.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

FancyDarcy wrote:I have never tried irradiated foods before, but I've heard that they taste different because they're "dead", especially with stronger treatments.
In the US, nearly 80% of the spice supply has been treated with radiation. Irradiated foods are in the food supply, and acting as though they are not is silly.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

JI_Joe84 wrote:
Serious question: what does the chicken taste like?
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Does microwaving food count as irradiation? :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

A microwave is non-ionizing radiation. A quick search shows food irradiation is ionizing radiation. So no, microwaving doesn't count. :wink:
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Khaat wrote:A microwave is non-ionizing radiation. A quick search shows food irradiation is ionizing radiation. So no, microwaving doesn't count. :wink:
yeah, visible light is also technically speaking radiation (electro-magnetic radiation to be exact) but no-one would probably argue that leaving food under a lamp is a good way to preserve it ;)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Irradiated foods are much safer then breathing the air in any city in the world, or probably anywhere on the planet at this point.

Lab produced GMOs have been on the market for over 25 years and nobody has ever shown any actual harm to human health Also if anyone thinks GMOs are a problem, go lookup what the native form of CORN looks like. Cause its like grass and we still don't really know how the American natives managed such a radical transformation, but it exceeds any lab produced GMO in scope and scale. Air pollution contaminating crops should be a far greater concern. People have whined about every new technology for yada yada, very little has ever proven to be bad in the long term. Even nuclear weapons development was key to our understanding of physics and thus long term ability to build all kinds of things and eventually get off the damn planet so we aren't so vulnerable.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

J wrote: Serious question: what does the chicken taste like?
Dinosaur, duh!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

J wrote:
Crocodile. :wink: Well they are both white meat.

Edit - meat is red or white depending on myoglobin content, so meat that looks the same has similar composition.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So... even though ostrich is fowl it's classed with red meat? Because I've had ostrich, and it is definitely red both before and after cooking. (and tasty!)

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Most, if not all, anti-GMO preaching is just basic fear mongering. It gets down to that. It becomes so degrading sometimes the stairght up scare tactics that are employed just to push their political narrative. It causes autism seems their favorite go to thing to screech as of course it is the one thing they can use without having to prove a thing. They have no legitimate connections to any of the things they vilify connected to GMO's but they push them out anyway the more scary sounding the better.

They are no different then anti-vaxers though not as dangerous.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Isolder74 wrote:Most, if not all, anti-GMO preaching is just basic fear mongering. It gets down to that. It becomes so degrading sometimes the stairght up scare tactics that are employed just to push their political narrative. It causes autism seems their favorite go to thing to screech as of course it is the one thing they can use without having to prove a thing. They have no legitimate connections to any of the things they vilify connected to GMO's but they push them out anyway the more scary sounding the better.

They are no different then anti-vaxers though not as dangerous.
I dunno that I'd say they're less dangerous than anti-vaxxers. Perhaps in developed nations, but developing nations are in dire need of what GMO crops can provide.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

FancyDarcy wrote:I am curious to hear what you guys think of these subjects, as both have a following of hatreds. I have never tried irradiated foods before, but I've heard that they taste different because they're "dead", especially with stronger treatments.
Humans have been genetically altering foods since we started practicing agriculture/civilization. It's just recently that we can do it much better due to labs and genetic engineering. If you're against it, you're for children dying of famine in third world countries, period.

Irradiated food = less necessity for mass usage of antibiotics for factory farms which is a net benefit as there's far less opportunity for super resistant bacteria, despite factory farms being a net harm. So I'm for it as I don't want millions of people to die. Factory farming of animals like cattle and swine needs to stop, but likely won't. That said, I can guarantee that almost every westerner has eaten irradiated food without even knowing it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

J wrote:
JI_Joe84 wrote:
PEEEEEOPLE!!! IRRADIATED CHICKEN TASTES LIKE PEEEEEOPLE!!! You know, delicious. :)
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I'm fine with both.

Irradiated food - if your food is cooked it's been irradiated, just with a different wavelength than what they use for sterilizing. The only reason anyone's scared of this is that "radiation" is so misrepresented in pop-culture that you might as well call it wild magic and tell people you're killing microorganisms by casting Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (D&D spell which creates random effects) on the food.

GMOs - your body doesn't care what the DNA of your food is; digestion doesn't work that way. The only thing that matters is if the GMO produces something poisonous while it's alive (e.g. ricin). Which is what testing is for.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.