Check Hell for Freezing Temps and Snow.....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Check Hell for Freezing Temps and Snow.....

Post by Broomstick »

... the Chicago Cubs are going to the Baseball World Series.

No, I'm serious.

I'm not kidding.

Chicago's perpetual losers have won their league championship and are going to the World Series. They haven't played in a World Series for 71 years, and haven't won one for 108.

Probably best summed up by Steve Gooman's "Dying Cub Fan's Last Request". Here's Mr. Goodman performing it himself, with Wrigley Field in the background:

Ironically, at the time Mr. Goodman recorded this he was a dying Cubs fan, and his ashes are scattered on Wrigley Field. Which is just one example of the awesome loyalty Cub's fans have been over the years for a team that, for most of the past century, have been a laughingstock of the game.

OK, it's not earth-shattering, and of enormous cultural important only if you're in/from the Chicago area. Still, it's nice to see thousands of people in the streets in the middle of the night having a good time with nothing bad happening rather than riots and stuff. Nothing wrong with having something to celebrate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Check Hell for Freezing Temps and Snow.....

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It is pretty astounding.

Even if you are the type of person that categorically dismisses or looks down upon the role of sports in broader culture and cultural identities (which, by the way, I am not and do not), it's still a pretty fascinating situation, if for no other reason than the pure statistical oddity of how the Cubs can go so long without a win or appearance (taking into respect the average rate at which other teams have done so). Congratulations, to Chicago. (And Cleveland, too. Cleveland is another cursed sports city that finally got some breaks this calendar year)
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I'm in Lakeview at the moment - a friend and I went out into the streets and walked towards Wrigley Field. We couldn't even get to the front entrance. Clark Street was jam-packed with people.

It's half-past midnight now and there are still people whooping and hollering and honking horns in the street outside. Hey Chicago, whaddaya say, Cubs are gonna win today!
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Last time the Cubs were in the WS, the league was still desegregating.

The last time they won one, the world was ruled by empires.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The Cubs pack Coors Field better than the other crap team known as the Rockies. Every time they play here, it's a sold-out game. I used to date a jersey-owning Cubs fan from Milwaukee, a city with its own damn team. I wish they could put that shit in a bottle and sell it to us.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Might be the year for strange victories then, Hibernian won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years this year.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Cleveland has a tough team -- they manhandled my team, the Blue Jays, in the ALCS -- so it'll be no cakewalk for the Cubs.

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to post one of my favourite images about the stupidity of the Cleveland team's nickname in 2016.

Edit: Cleveland has had a long championship drought as well, so whichever team wins a long-suffering crop of fans will finally have something to cheer for.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It'd be something if Cleveland won, since it'd mean both the NBA and MLB championships for them in 2016.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:It'd be something if Cleveland won, since it'd mean both the NBA and MLB championships for them in 2016.
It'd be even cooler if they could pull off a Super Bowl as well!

...well, 2/3 ain't bad. :lol:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Nate Silver had the best line.

"The Cubs haven't been to the World Series for so long that the last time they went, the 2016 election campaign hadn't even started yet."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

My store entirely sold out of Cubs stuff by 2 pm today.

It's OK - I'm sure we'll be getting more on one of tonight's trucks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season, put some money on the Cubs.
Broomstick wrote:My store entirely sold out of Cubs stuff by 2 pm today.

It's OK - I'm sure we'll be getting more on one of tonight's trucks.
I feel sorry for the long suffering Cubs fans who now have to deal with bandwagoners.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Not a good start for the Cubs. Yeesh, 6-0.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

5-1 Cubs bottom of the 8th. Looks like it will be 1-1.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Raw Shark wrote:The Cubs pack Coors Field better than the other crap team known as the Rockies. Every time they play here, it's a sold-out game. I used to date a jersey-owning Cubs fan from Milwaukee, a city with its own damn team. I wish they could put that shit in a bottle and sell it to us.
Some people will love a winner, no matter what else is true about them. These people, wherever situate, tend to gravitate towards the Yankees.

For people who are the exact opposite of that, there are the Cubs.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Aaaaand the Indians need just one more win.

I found it funny that a local (well local as in ~30 min away) Cleveland TV station posted on Facebook a map of the U.S. showing which states are rooting for the Cubs or the Indians. Every state except Ohio were choosing the Cubs. Whether that's true, I don't know. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Cubs are iconic for their losing streak; the Indians are not. I think that explains it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Simon_Jester wrote:The Cubs are iconic for their losing streak; the Indians are not. I think that explains it.
Everyone loves an underdog.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:The Cubs are iconic for their losing streak; the Indians are not. I think that explains it.
Everyone loves an underdog.
The funny part about the Cubs being the "underdog" is that they only have that image because of an improbable losing streak, when in fact they're one of the better financed teams of the league. The Indians spend $3.2M per player. The Cubs spend $5M. (Source.) In a game defined by managerial spending, I find myself cheering for the Indians if only because they got to where they are by spending about $1M per win compared to the Cubs $1.7M.

- George Carlin
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Forget checking hell for freezing temps. We know it's happening now. As a Chicago fan: AWESOME.

As a curse breaking fan: who's next?
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

The Red Sox broke their "curse" a few years back, so it was time for the Cubs to do the same for theirs.

I unwisely stayed up to see this game to its conclusion. Hopefully my boss will be understanding tomorrow.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I expect a lot of people in Chicago won't be making it in to work today.

It's 5:30 am and the party is still going on around Wrigley Field.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Locked.

Three threads dealing with the same stuff...
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs