Angry Manchild Denied LaFerrari Spider, Sues Ferrari

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Angry Manchild Denied LaFerrari Spider, Sues Ferrari

Post by Zixinus »

Out of curiosity, for those who know more about cars, how good a car can you get for just the 1m deposit that the guy got? Not just in terms of speed and shine, but overall reliability, efficiency and comfort?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

You can buy 43 entry-level Toyota Camry with some money left over. Not especially fast, but Toyota has earned its reputation for reliable, efficient cars. If you want something a bit faster and more comfortable, there are options in the $50k range, so... Do the math. If you want something fancier than a basic Toyota, Lexus is their luxury division and has just as good a reputation when it comes to being reliable.

You can get a car that's way more comfortable than a Ferrari from a fraction of the cost and still be able to flout traffic laws just fine. For a full million dollars you can get over a dozen very nice cars. Hell, you can get something that's all about the luxury and then something that's all about going to the track and seeing how fast you can go. There are tons of sub-$100k cars that would stomp the shit out of a Ferrari that costs three times as much.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zixinus wrote:Out of curiosity, for those who know more about cars, how good a car can you get for just the 1m deposit that the guy got? Not just in terms of speed and shine, but overall reliability, efficiency and comfort?
The McLaren P1 has a list price of 1M USD. It is quite similar to the Ferrari in design, technology, materials etc: slightly ahead on some metrics and slightly behind on others. It just doesn't have as much brand cachet.
Starglider, the Charger and Challenger Hellcat are an FCA product, not a GM product...
Sorry, I should have remembered that; as you may guess, muscle cars are not really my thing.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Archinist wrote:A question, why do people actually buy these cars?
Bragging rights
Status
Hopes of getting laid by high class pussy
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Sick rich person taught a lesson - there's always something which money can't buy. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

K. A. Pital wrote:Sick rich person taught a lesson - there's always something which money can't buy. :lol:
But he has affluenza, they can't do this to him...
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

Bah.

Buy and Audi R8, used even.

Install twin-turbo.

Drive as fast as the gust of a thousand winds.

EDIT:
Ferrari is very protective of their brand. A Reddit post helps sum it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/ ... eputation/