MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Purple »

Zeropoint wrote:I don't feel like the hero of my story. I have LONG felt that I'm a minor character . . . at best the kind listed as "Technician #3" in the credits. Probably not even a speaking part.
The key to a good life isn't being the big bad hero in your story. It's being the "Technician #3" who gets to spend the rest of his life regaling everyone about the 15 seconds he spent in one scene in Star Wars.

Or, to cut the metaphor out since I know you guys can't take those.

The key to a happy life is NOT striving for the stars but knowing what you are and can be and enjoying that.

Achieving a lot, being a great person, being rich, famous, successful, important or feeling that way or any thing like that. Those all sound grandiose but they are also out of reach for the vast majority of people. We all want to be the knight in the castle owning half the land. But the way the math works out 99% of us end up being the serfs that feed him. So comparing your self with those standards is just setting your self up for failure.

What makes for a good and happy life is being content with what you are and have, matching your desires to realistic expectations and learning to appreciate and take pleasure in the things you have and the things you can actually reach with a reasonable effort. Instead of chastising your self for the things you do not have and have not achieved congratulate your self for the things you have. And learn to take pleasure in the little things in life like eating a nice meal, having a nice night out with your friends or spending a couple hours with a movie or video game that you particularly like.

Or in other words just stop that incessant thinking about life and your place in it and start living it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Zeropoint wrote:
Well, change that, or collapse and die right now and stop wasting oxygen and things that the rest of us can use.
That's been on my mind a lot lately. It would be easy enough to accomplish.
You want the easy way out? Fuck that. Pick your back up, hold your head high, rear up in your dignity, and work for what you deserve, man. Or else get the fuck out of my way.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zeropoint wrote: That's been on my mind a lot lately. It would be easy enough to accomplish.
You need to fix that, first off the page. Get some help, or, if you already are, get some more help. Find a support group in your area, because, you're not alone, and you aren't the only one feeling like this. A random bunch of strangers on the Internet giving you advice will do jack and shit for you, if you aren't of the mind to fucking take it.

People who've been where you've been, and a professional who's seen it all before are what you need right this instant(yes, I'm recommending a fucking shrink, as much as I hate 'em), before you do something stupid.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I AM seeing a therapist, and I have BEEN seeing therapists and on medication for years. They all seem to have very low standards of "acceptable outcomes".
Or else get the fuck out of my way.
It seems like that would be the appropriate way to "celebrate" my upcoming 40th birthday.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zeropoint wrote:I AM seeing a therapist, and I have BEEN seeing therapists and on medication for years. They all seem to have very low standards of "acceptable outcomes".
What do you consider acceptable?
Zeropoint wrote:
It seems like that would be the appropriate way to "celebrate" my upcoming 40th birthday.
Don't you dare try to put that on me, if you cop out and do it. I am trying to encourage you to live the life of a sexually-successful male human, fucker-wannabe. Don't stop. Never stop. Always forward, like a shark. Always. You only stop when you die, and then after that, you will never get anything again.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zeropoint wrote:I AM seeing a therapist, and I have BEEN seeing therapists and on medication for years. They all seem to have very low standards of "acceptable outcomes".
It's really fucking depressing and aggravating to read this the day after the 26th anniversary of my sister's suicide. Especially since despite her psychological problems my sister did a lot of good for the world.

Make yourself a bucket list. No, I'm serious. What do you want to do and/or experience in life before you die? Anywhere you want to go or see? Anything you want to do? Doesn't have to be over the top, could be something simple like "I want to see X museum", "I want to win two games of solitaire in a row", "I want to ride a horse" - whatever. Don't be in a hurry to die.

Hell, you think you're an extra in the drama of life? "I want to be a movie extra" - there's a goal for you, actually get credit as Technician #3!

And yeah, it's OK to have improbable stuff on the list - hell I never thought I'd ever get to ride in a vintage biplane, much less get to pilot one, but I did. And I still have "go into space" on my list. But I also have more modest goals I'm interested in, like "file my taxes on time next year".

Go out. Do stuff. The happiness my dead sister had in life - and she had some, despite her illness - were do to her simply getting out of the house and doing stuff.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I must point out that there is no actual, physical, objective thing stopping you from accomplishing basic routine goals, Zeropoint. You're not stupid, you're not an invalid.

This leads logically to the conclusion that whatever barriers you are experiencing are mental rather than physical, which in turn suggests that, as I said and as others said before me... "depression lies."

If you were reading a novel, and there was an outside voice telling one of the characters they were inadequate, sad, screwed, and doomed, and otherwise unworthy and unable to accomplish anything, you would probably think "this character should not listen to that voice."

This is one of those rare times where the correct reaction in real life is exactly like the correct reaction in the book. Don't listen to that voice. It's actively wrong and miscalibrated and will literally never give you good advice, ever. Even doing the exact opposite of what it says would be better.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote:
It's really fucking depressing and aggravating to read this the day after the 26th anniversary of my sister's suicide. Especially since despite her psychological problems my sister did a lot of good for the world.

Make yourself a bucket list. No, I'm serious. What do you want to do and/or experience in life before you die? Anywhere you want to go or see? Anything you want to do? Doesn't have to be over the top, could be something simple like "I want to see X museum", "I want to win two games of solitaire in a row", "I want to ride a horse" - whatever. Don't be in a hurry to die.

Hell, you think you're an extra in the drama of life? "I want to be a movie extra" - there's a goal for you, actually get credit as Technician #3!

And yeah, it's OK to have improbable stuff on the list - hell I never thought I'd ever get to ride in a vintage biplane, much less get to pilot one, but I did. And I still have "go into space" on my list. But I also have more modest goals I'm interested in, like "file my taxes on time next year".

Go out. Do stuff. The happiness my dead sister had in life - and she had some, despite her illness - were do to her simply getting out of the house and doing stuff.
One of the goals I have is to see my niece's 18th birthday (FYI:she's 6 years old atm), it easily helps me deal with my depression issues since it's a goal that I cannot fufill or fail anytime soon, in fact I'll fulfill by just living and the neat thing about goals like this I can always rework it to be another goal that is in future.

Others have said this before but it cannot be overstated that little voice at back of your head lies and never to your benefit don't listen to it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Funny situations created by the appalling 'English' my collegues speak:

Female Coworker: "I need it. I really need it. Where is Kathi? Will she be coming in the office today?"
Low whisper from my desk: "Depends on how much you need it, I presume..."

After lunch (Baguette au coq was on the menu)

Male coworker: "I really enjoyed that cock sandwich!"
Me: "You may want to rephrase that..."
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Any particular reason why your coworkers would be speaking English while at work instead of German? Or are they just practicing and made several amusing slip-ups in the process? :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Let people talk about how much they enjoy coq sandwich. Correcting them just embarrasses them and removes some small amount of humour and joy from the world.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:Any particular reason why your coworkers would be speaking English while at work instead of German? Or are they just practicing and made several amusing slip-ups in the process? :)
I can't speak for LaCroix, but at the last office job I had, English was the only language that the Denver, Manila, Chennai, and Mumbai office administrators had in common, so we pretty much had to use it during teleconferences. The Filipinos, who I was the primary department contact for, spoke it much better than the Indians, who would occasionally ask their contact, my friend Hari, to translate between them. Hari was born and raised in Orange County, California, and that's the only accent he knows, besides his grandmother, who had a different native language than either of the India managers. One time he made eye contact with me across the conference table and mimed blowing his brains out when he had no fucking idea what either of them just said and they asked him to explain.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Ghetto Edit: One time, the two Indian managers, who had different native Indian languages from each other and from Hari's grandma, started going in yet a fourth Indian language, which they were apparently both fluent in. Hari switched off his mic and blurted out, "Are they conspiring against us?" at almost the exact same time that my Manila contact, Lucy*, PMd me the exact same thing word for word. Fun Fact: India has 17 official languages.

* Who is an absolute doll, by the way - I got to meet her at a conference, and I was totally smitten. Great body, amazing smile, sunny personality. Best part, we were peers in different branches, so there wasn't even a rule against having crazy wild animal sex. Unfortunately she's also waaaaay too Catholic to have sex with me in that timeframe. Best I got out of her was a few laughs and a couple of cocktails, and not in the naughty sense of the latter term.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Borgholio wrote:Any particular reason why your coworkers would be speaking English while at work instead of German? Or are they just practicing and made several amusing slip-ups in the process? :)
Any kind of multi-lingual environment will converge on a lingua franca if it can. In my undergrad years we had Germans, Austrians, Norwegians, and Argentinians (who for some entirely unaccountable reason spoke german natively in addition to spanish :wink: ) and an Israeli, in addition to Americans (largest single plurality with Germans a close second, with Americans being a minority overall), all working on the same floor on shared projects. When we took our turn hosting the Nasonia genome annotation symposia, that count increased to include Dutch and French.

English was the common denominator, so we used it.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Argentinians (who for some entirely unaccountable reason spoke german natively in addition to spanish :wink: )
Volksdeutsche make up the fourth-largest ethnic group in Argentina, providing Argentine society with many of its professionals and technicians. Germans have immigrated from Europe to there since before the original German unification in 1871.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

We are an IT office with worldwide customers and a team of about 20 different nationalities and offices in 13 countries. English is the only way we can deal with this mess. And situations like these ones are why everyone starting here gets weekly classes on company time...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

My boss. We all need to do things that take us out of our comfort zone, and by this point that means base jumping or letting madd0ct0r give a presentation to [a notoriusly picky and hidebound massive client]
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

"So, my check said I need a 60% deposit. If go for something more expensive, that means I'll be paying less?"
"...no ma'am. It'll still be 60%"
"Sure, sure, but if instead I went for a more expensive choice, than that 60% would be lower?"
"Sorry, no, it would be 60% of the larger amount. It would be a larger amount of money."

Cue this discussion for another 3 verses or so.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

DENVER COMICON & PRIDE WEEKEND: THE 2016 EDITION:

SUPERMAN / PRIDE FEST COSTUME: I'll just be in there for a second, I need to grab some smokes.

YOUR DRIVER: Sure thing, bud. [pause] So, is it safe to presume that you guys aren't a couple?

SUPERGIRL COSTUME: What tipped you off, his rainbow cape?

YOUR DRIVER: Little bit. So, you seem like you're pretty cool. Can I give you my number?

SUPERGIRL COSTUME: We're driving back to the Springs tomorrow...

YOUR DRIVER: Aww, that's too bad. I thought I was feeling a little bit of a vibe here.

SUPERGIRL COSTUME: ...but we have separate hotel rooms...

YOUR DRIVER: Excellent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YOUR DRIVER: Cat ears again this year, eh?

MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: Dude, I am never retiring the cat ears. These bitches are money in the bank. I call them my Geek Beacon. Every fanboy in the room who isn't already into redheads sees them and it's like the other girls are invisible.

YOUR DRIVER: Yeah, I guess I could see that. So you had a great night, I take it?

MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: Check this out: I complimented one dorkface on his browncoat costume and told him I'm a fan, and he took me for a poser, so I bet him double or nothing on the cost of his lapdance that I could sing The Ballad of Jayne Cobb off the top of my head.

YOUR DRIVER: Oh shit. So you made a hundred bucks off that guy in about ten minutes.

MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: Damn straight I did. Pretentious bitch had it coming. Better yet, his entire table of friends fell in love with me and wanted dances, too.

YOUR DRIVER: So I hear what you're saying between the lines, here. You're saying, "Hey Raw Shark, want to get breakfast? I'm buying..."

MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: Roger that.

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Raw Shark wrote:MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: ...isn't already into redheads

...so I bet him double or nothing on the cost of his lapdance that I could sing The Ballad of Jayne Cobb off the top of my head.
I think she's now My Favourite Stripper as well...
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

The_Saint wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:MY FAVORITE STRIPPER: ...isn't already into redheads

...so I bet him double or nothing on the cost of his lapdance that I could sing The Ballad of Jayne Cobb off the top of my head.
I think she's now My Favourite Stripper as well...
http://rs262.pbsrc.com/albums/ii104/sto ... 8.jpg~c200
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote:MY FAVORITE STRIPPER:...so I bet him double or nothing on the cost of his lapdance that I could sing The Ballad of Jayne Cobb off the top of my head.
Poor guy, never saw the sucker bet coming. Only a Browncoat would know that song, much less think to make the bet.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote:Poor guy, never saw the sucker bet coming. Only a Browncoat would know that song, much less think to make the bet.
Dude probably had a few drinks in him and didn't want to back down to a pretty girl in front of his buddies, who probably egged him on to shoot for the free dance. He most likely thought that she'd watched the show once (rather than twice through with me and who knows how many times by herself or with others) and was bluffing, and got what he deserved for judging her by her looks. No pity extended from this direction.

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Oh, there's something extending from this way with both direction and magnitude... call me Vector! :lol:
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Well, I just have to say, that there's over seventy Earths spinning about this Galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one.