16Tb SSD, super flexibal screens and more

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

16Tb SSD, super flexibal screens and more

Post by dragon »

Really cool advancements lately. Don't we just live in exciting times?
Samsung announces announces a 16Tb SSD
link

LG and their flex screens
Their super thin display 55in and less than 1mm thick.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: 16Tb SSD, super flexibal screens and more

Post by Mr Bean »

Samsung 16 TB drive is the interesting piece for me since it's a for sale item. The Flexiscrens, 1mm TV's and the like are still five to ten years away from retail small things like they overheat after a few hours of use or are very fragile to heat extremes mean even if thing X looks impressive thing Y makes it a terrible product outside of a showroom.

But the 16TB drive is going on sale in a few short months to Enterprise customers and if Samsung is serious about leveraging the hell out of their 256 GB chips we are looking at consumer level 4 TB SSD hitting the twenty cents a gigabyte price range which is a full dime lower than it is now. Not yet to the three to five cents a gigabyte range that hard drives are at but to the point at which we could see the three year massive price drop. (And yes Samsung in an interview mentioned a 4 TB 800$ SSD for sale "sometime next year")

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Yeah, multi-gig SSDs are cool and practical. I'm pumped for that.

But aside from a purely show-off item of "hey look how cool I am!" what's the point of 1mm TV or that flexible screen? Like seriously, I don't see a practical purpose of those aside from showing off the size of your tech-penis.

Well ok maybe the flexible screens could come in handy in certain niche circumstances, but for your average consumer?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

RogueIce wrote:Yeah, multi-gig SSDs are cool and practical. I'm pumped for that.

But aside from a purely show-off item of "hey look how cool I am!" what's the point of 1mm TV or that flexible screen? Like seriously, I don't see a practical purpose of those aside from showing off the size of your tech-penis.

Well ok maybe the flexible screens could come in handy in certain niche circumstances, but for your average consumer?
Flexiscreens come into play when you can fold a 8x10 screen down like a piece of paper. Otherwise it's a fun proof of concept, even if you can make screens a flexible as paper until they pop back perfect as before folding it's still only interesting not useful.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Besides folding there is the possibility to roll it up. You could roll up an iPad into something that is easier to carry. And I guess for wearables. Armbands and fitness trackers and that kind of stuff.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

salm wrote:Besides folding there is the possibility to roll it up. You could roll up an iPad into something that is easier to carry. And I guess for wearables. Armbands and fitness trackers and that kind of stuff.
You can roll up the screen but the battery that is powering it?
Thus why we don't have fruit roll up screens.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Mr Bean wrote:
salm wrote:Besides folding there is the possibility to roll it up. You could roll up an iPad into something that is easier to carry. And I guess for wearables. Armbands and fitness trackers and that kind of stuff.
Come on, it´s not that difficult to come up with some sort of use for a rollable screen.

Roll your screen around your arm - aka wristband - and plug it into the phone in your pocket. Show whatever crap kids these days need to know when they go running on wristband.

Or wrap it around a cylindrical battery.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

salm wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
Come on, it´s not that difficult to come up with some sort of use for a rollable screen.

Roll your screen around your arm - aka wristband - and plug it into the phone in your pocket. Show whatever crap kids these days need to know when they go running on wristband.

Or wrap it around a cylindrical battery.
Yeah phones already have horrible battery life, also circular screens are terrible thanks to vision angles, even if you don't get distortion from the angle you get it since your eyes don't have a visual aim point.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

If you run long enough to drain your phone battery then you´re a pretty good runner. Most people probably don´t run that long, though. Batteries are also getting better and electronics less energy intensive.

Why would the screen be circular if you wrap it around your arm or a battery? Just look at the image Dragon posted. It basically allready is something like that. Just imagine that where the electronics stuff is right now there´d be a tube with a cylindrical battery and all the electronics inside it. When not in use the screen is wraped around the tube. When you need it you unwrap it.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Obviously the application for thin lightweight flexible screens is even more video billboards. No longer constrained to places where you could mount a conventional glass LCD, every surface of every public space can be plastered with moving spinning flashing distracting adverts.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I can´t wait for augmented reality real life AdBlock.
Or automated drone swarms programmed to vandalize adverts by reprogramming them to display cocks.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Use them as digital shades for windows? :)

As mentioned before, billboards or other forms of advertising.

It would be nice if they could make touchscreens like it. Imagine the next generation tablets and phones.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
darkjedi521
Youngling

Post by darkjedi521 »

a 1mm flexible screen = thinner smart phone/tablet that's more shatter resistant.
Ex ASVS lurker and sometimes poster
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

They'd be great for customizable wallpaper in your home. Put them on the wall and change the textures to suit the mood or theme you want and spice up the house.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."