NFL 2014 season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Re: NFL 2014 season

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Thanas wrote:It is very funny how many seahawks fans suddenly post here despite not making posts before here.

Because I had other places to discuss the game elsewhere that have much more activity, or that I was watching it with family otherwise? And I've posted before in this thread (both Duchess and I have) if that's what you're trying to say.

What's your problem, asshole? I thought the picture was funny so I shared it with the board. Fuck off. And there were two of us. Two. "How many" my ass.
now that my obnoxious ass appeared out of nowhere, you are the least of his problems.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nah, you're quite funny.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Thanas wrote: then suddenly he is the greatest seahawks fan forever.
Show me where I said anything like that or stop trolling.

Also, fuck off. I didn't realize it wasnt allowed for me to share two links on a board that I hardly post on in general. I don't come here for football discussion, I have plenty of their boards on which to do that. But due to the excitement of this game, and general amazement at Kam, I decided to share two links to try and contribute to the thread. Guess I should just stick to reedit and SBnation, seeing as how your thread is too good for that.

You don't know me or my level of fandom Thanas. Simply put, you're an ass.
Last edited by Lord Relvenous on 2015-01-18 10:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lord Relvenous wrote:

Also, fuck off. I didn't realize it wasnt allowed for me to share two links on a board that I hardly post on in general. I don't come here for football discussion, I have plenty of their boards on which to do that. But due to the excitement of this game, and general amazement at Kam, I decided to share two links to try and contribute to the thread. Guess I should just stick to reedit and SBnation, seeing as how your thread is too good for that.
Oh come the fuck off it, dude. Take some time and then decide if you really want to continue this, because it looks like one massive unnecessary bitchfest now.

As for me, I'll be rooting for the seahawks to beat the patriots.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Thanas wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:

Oh come the fuck off it, dude. Take some time and then decide if you really want to continue this, because it looks like one massive unnecessary bitchfest now.
When moderators passive aggressively discourage participation on a low-activity board in a thread with less than a page of posts per game, I think a little bitching is called for. Show me where I called myself the "greatest fan" or retract it. And I don't care who you're rooting for.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

BTW, nice job editing that "chill pill" post to make it less of a shitpost when called on it by another member without marking the edit. Really classy.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lord Relvenous wrote:BTW, nice job editing that "chill pill" post to make it less of a shitpost when called on it by another member without marking the edit. Really classy.
I didn't even see the post when editing mine, because guess what? The system doesn't tell you that.
Lord Relvenous wrote:When moderators passive aggressively discourage participation on a low-activity board in a thread with less than a page of posts per game, I think a little bitching is called for.

Oh boo hoo. Poor Thanas is discouraging me from posting. No, I wasn't.
Show me where I called myself the "greatest fan" or retract it.
You are familiar with rhetorical embellishment, I presume? It goes like this. I think you are the whiniest, biggest asshole in this thread. Now, can I objectively prove that? No way. Am I going to retract it? No way. If you cannot take a little jab and want to bitch about this like a thin-skinned whiner, then go right ahead. I am done responding to this childish endeavour of yours.

EDIT: Oh, and just so that we are clear about this: My original post was about how certain people only start posting after their teams win playoff games. You may not like the implications off that, fine. As it is, the observation still stands and I can back it up as well.

That is all I am going to say on this matter.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Jub wrote:It looks like I missed either a hell of a comeback or a hell of a failure by the Packers. Does anybody that was able to watch the game have an insight as to what went down in the second half?
Both.

Marshawn Lynch down the stretch was unbelievable and the Seahawks played great.

But the Packers were just AWFUL. Some of the worst coaching and clock management sequences I can remember seeing in a playoff game in that 4th quarter. There were 5 minutes left in the game, and they got complacent, assuming they had won the game. They deserved to lose the way they acted there. Really dumb decision making.

Still, the Seahawks defense stifled Green Bay when they had a chance to comeback, too.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

How long before ESPN digs through the archive for footage of Pete Carrol's mopey faced ride of shame out of Foxboro in his champagne jaguar and plays it 783 times a day
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The Patriots aren't a brittle hard shell around a brittle has-been, still looking impressive but waiting to be disintegrated by a firm punch. It'll be a real game, Crackpot, with actual doubt. And I'm glad my car with the Washington plates is no longer in rural Rhode Island for it! I spent the first three hours of that game at Sea Skimmer's house drinking and expecting this was very much the end, almost from the first five minutes. When Wilson indicated his preference for Clinton-Dix as his favourite receiver, I was quite convinced it was over. We proceeded to have a conversation about how laughably rigged the NBA is, because it looked that bad. The sneak in the third quarter was an awesome play, some kind of romp of the kind my dad described of football in the 1930s, but afterwards it looked like the offense would do nothing to capitalize on it. I think our consensus was that we might as well field Jon Ryan as quarterback at that point because hey he'd completed a touchdown, he could hardly do worse than Wilson.

What I'm trying to say is that I think that without Rodgers' injury we'd be done for. And if this performance is any indication for the superbowl, we're screwed. You cannot make those kinds of mistakes against this year's Patriots and survive.

Even now it seems vaguely unfair, like the Overtime rules should be revised again to just completely eliminate Sudden Death. We got lucky because the Packers played like they deserved to lose, and there was enough dharma in the air to make that mean we got the luck to in fact make them lose.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

I don't think you need to change the OT rules. The last round where they did away with the "First FG wins" I think is the best compromise between fairness, and getting a game over with. While playing a full quarter might sound good to the fans, you figure that's brutal on the player's bodies, especially if you had to go to multiple OTs.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

TheHammer wrote:I don't think you need to change the OT rules. The last round where they did away with the "First FG wins" I think is the best compromise between fairness, and getting a game over with. While playing a full quarter might sound good to the fans, you figure that's brutal on the player's bodies, especially if you had to go to multiple OTs.
The correct compromise would give the team just scored-upon the chance to also score a touchdown, which would continue the game. Give each team one possession apiece, and let them do the most that they can with it. Once each team has had the same number of possessions and the score is no longer tied, the game is over. Kind of like baseball in that sense.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Related to the actual game, did it look to anyone else like Aaron Rodgers, in the midst of one of the biggest games of his career, was kind of bored? Maybe he's just got that figurative ice water in his veins, but he sure does seem composed under pressure.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

SCRawl wrote:Related to the actual game, did it look to anyone else like Aaron Rodgers, in the midst of one of the biggest games of his career, was kind of bored? Maybe he's just got that figurative ice water in his veins, but he sure does seem composed under pressure.
Joe Flacco looks the same. Either he had some good painkillers for his tigh and ankle (which I believe) or it is just a common trait for some QBs.
------------
------------
My LPs
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
SCRawl wrote:Related to the actual game, did it look to anyone else like Aaron Rodgers, in the midst of one of the biggest games of his career, was kind of bored? Maybe he's just got that figurative ice water in his veins, but he sure does seem composed under pressure.
Joe Flacco looks the same. Either he had some good painkillers for his thigh and ankle (which I believe) or it is just a common trait for some QBs.
My cynical side wonders how prevalent the use of anti anxiety drugs are for NFL QBs, and athletes in general...
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:What I'm trying to say is that I think that without Rodgers' injury we'd be done for.
I think McCarthy's incompetent coaching sealed the game for you guys more than the injury, in all honesty. I think overall Green Bay's offense played about as well as you could have expected them to against the Seahawk defense, even if Rodgers had been completely healthy. But my God, is McCarthy a terrible coach. How he is still employed is beyond me.
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:And if this performance is any indication for the superbowl, we're screwed. You cannot make those kinds of mistakes against this year's Patriots and survive.
While I hope you're right (I am a Pats fan), I'm worried about the 'Hawks. A lot of Green Bay's success came from capitalizing off of those early turnovers; while the Pats defense is good this year, it seems unlikely that Wilson & Co. turn the ball over that many times consecutively, as historically the team has been excellent at not giving away the ball like that. I think what the game will come down to is how healthy the Seahawks defense is; they are pretty banged up.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

McCarthy's coaching was a bigger deal, but let's be clear--Rodgers completing even one more pass than he did would have won the game for the Packers anyway. I was trying to emphasize that even a very small change in how they played would have been sufficient.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:Yes, that's right, Thanas. Say something to get a reaction out of people, then tell them to relax when they react. It's so funny. Ha.
Oh fuck off. If there's one thing I can't stand it's whiny pricks. I prefer whining vaginas. Anyway what business is it of yours? Did Thanas mention you? No? Then as Ken Wattanami would say... "Let them fight!"
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

How the fuck is McCarthy a bad coach?* Christ you people are fucking dumb.
If Rodgers could go more than five yards without fucking up his calf that game would have been a CURB STOMP. As it is, it took a miracle two point conversion and a miracle onside kick to even get it to overtime. If anything, the Packers just got too conservative, on both sides of the ball, too soon. Seattle can sit there and say they won, but the Packers know that they gave it away.

*Since 2010
10-6 Super Bowl Win
15-1
11-5
8-7-1
12-4
They've had one off year and most of those, especially the Superbowl year, with a horrendous amount of injuries across the board and a mediocre offensive line and defense.
If McCarthy should be fired for this, then Belichik should have been fired ages ago.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And gawd... could this be a more disliked match-up of teams? I mean only another Steelers Seahawks Superbowl could be more disgusting to me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Havok wrote:How the fuck is McCarthy a bad coach?*
Because he has a history of incompetence? He is terrible at clock management; as was on display in this game with ~5 minutes left, when instead of letting the league MVP throw the ball even once he ran three time wasting run plays for a loss. He doesn't understand basic math, often kicking extra points when his team needs a two-point conversion. Or in this game, when he idiotically kicked the field goal on 4th down when they were only 1 fucking yard from the endzone - in fact, he loved this bad decision so much he did it twice in a fucking row! Kicking one field goal there is bad enough, but doing it twice in a row? The second field goal was even worse than the first: in that drive, the Packers had run 3 run plays that gained 17 yards, and McCarthy doesn't think that he can gain one more fucking yard? It's bad decision making; you never take the points in that situation. According to the New York Times 4th Down Bot, McCarthy cost the Packers an expected 2.6 points on those two plays, which would have been the difference in the game.

And McCarthy's 4th quarter was a master's class in bad coaching decisions. With 5 minutes left, he thought they had already won the game, and played super conservatively and handed the game to the 'Hawks. Over two possessions in the 4th quarter, McCarthy only called one pass play (an incompletion on a hitch route against good coverage) and the rest were running plays, which mostly went nowhere and only served to take time off the clock, which only hurt the Packers, because it was too fucking early in the game to start wasting clock. It's basic fucking math, and McCarthy (and apparently you) are incapable of figuring out what most other NFL coaches are capable of doing. And this is not a one-time blip; McCarthy has ALWAYS made these bad decisions. There have been a number of games (I think most spectacularly the big comeback win against the Cowboys last season) where McCarthy's terrible coaching was covered up by Rodgers making a big play to win the game in spite of McCarthy.

After the game, McCarthy said, "Hey, if you want to question my play calling -- I'm not questioning it. I came in here to run the ball. The one statistic I had has as far as a target to hit was 20 rushing attempts in the second half, I felt would be a very important target to hit for our offense." So basically he had decided before the game that he was just going to run the ball to hit an arbitrary statistical milestone, despite playing against a dominant run defense, and despite having one of the best quarterbacks in football on his roster. Yes, Rodgers was injured, but that didn't stop him throwing the ball well last week (or, indeed, early in this game). There's no fucking reason why McCarthy should make this bizarre decision independent of game situation to hit 20 rushing attempts.

Havok wrote: As it is, it took a miracle two point conversion and a miracle onside kick to even get it to overtime.
Yet both of those were possible because of mistakes made by the Packers. It's hard to call it a miracle that Clinton-Dix had a massive brain fart on a easy coverage situation on that two point conversion, and it's hard to call it a miracle that Bostick fucked up the onside kick to give it back to the 'Hawks. Granted, neither of those are directly on McCarthy; but it is McCarthy's bad decision making that gave the Seahawks enough game time to make those plays anyway. If McCarthy hadn't gotten conservative in the 4th quarter, or hadn't taken the points in the 1st, or hadn't been inexplicably surprised by that fake field goal that everyone else saw coming a mile away in the 2nd,
Havok wrote: If McCarthy should be fired for this, then Belichik should have been fired ages ago.
Except Belichik has been consistently making good coaching decisions for years. McCarthy has not. Belichik has lost playoff games, yes, but he has never handed playoff games to another team on a silver platter due to his own idiocy like McCarthy has. For the same reason that John Fox got fired, but John Harbaugh did not.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Belichik has lost playoff games, yes, but he has never handed playoff games to another team on a silver platter due to his own idiocy like McCarthy has.
2009 wildcard against Ravens
2012 AFC champ. vs Ravens.

In both instances his gameplan was very questionable and featured a total collapse of the team.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What a bunch of hindsight bullshit. :lol: I bet not one of those examples comes from the year they won the Superbowl. Y'know, why? Because that year all the decisions you would deride in an non Superbowl winning year, worked. The same exact coaching style and decisions that are OMG HORRIBLE this year, last year, the 15-1 year, were GENIUS the year they won it all. :lol:

It's just like how Pete Carrol is just a college coach and his enthusiasm wears thin on professional players right, until he wins the Superbowl and now it's his college approach of everyone is always competing mentality and his enthusiasm that makes him so great!

:lol:

Same for Harbaugh in SF. Oh his tough mentality is rubbing players the wrong way, but if the Ravens cornerback hadn't blatantly held Crabtree :wink:, and SF wins that Superbowl like they should have, then, oh it is Harbaugh's tough mentality that makes him so great!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Holy shit, this thing I thought was desperate whining and denial by Indy fans might actually be true, since all but 1 of 12 of the balls the Patriots submitted were underinflated. The league is now pissed off and people are speculating about punishment. I think it's still a little soon since an in depth investigation is needed, but given the teams recent history and the fact that the Patriots knew they were playing with underinflated balls and never said a damned thing and probably would never have been found out during halftime if it weren't for Bradys interception throw. I think the Cheatriots may be at it again.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Void the win? Oh man, that would be the best fucking thing EVER! :D :luv:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)