NFL 2014 season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: NFL 2014 season

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote:Wow. I wonder how much Dallas paid those officials.
A ride on Jerry's Party Bus, apparently.

They should have brought in Derek and Beverly Joubert from National Geographic to do the game. It's not every day you see lions getting raped by zebras.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Elfdart wrote:
Flagg wrote:Wow. I wonder how much Dallas paid those officials.
A ride on Jerry's Party Bus, apparently.

They should have brought in Derek and Beverly Joubert from National Geographic to do the game. It's not every day you see lions getting raped by zebras.
Let's not get too carried away. I'm pretty sure there was no conspiracy to give Dallas the win here. There were some questionable calls, as there are in every game, and the most visible happened to go to the Cowboys (it's a 50/50 shot). Had the flag not been thrown in the first place rather than thrown and then picked up, the outcome would be the same, but nobody would be talking about it because no-calls happen all the time, including several that benefited Dallas this day.

Besides, if Rodgers is healthy, methinks the Cowboys will be brutalized in Green Bay anyway.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

On that questionable non-call, Pettigrew could also have been called for OPI because he had his hands locked inside the defenders facemask.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Edelman would make a fine QB
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh hey, the guy who never posted in here during the regular season.

Congratulations.
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

To be fair, Joe Flacco was an absolute beast and this was one of the greatest games I've seen in a long time. I need a Tylenol.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, I know our season was over ever since our entire secondary went out. No surprise to see the Pats just manhandling them at will.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Manhandling at will is a pretty strong term. You guys did get that complete bullshit pass interference call to go your way, not to mention the phantom holding call on Revis.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Manhandling at will is a pretty strong term.
Our secondary couldn't stop anything. How else would you call that? A shellacking?
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Both of Flacco's INTs had as much to do with Smith pulling up on the pattern as Flacco overthrowing.

Right now I'm beseeching the Football Gods to let the Colts win, and spare me yet another Brady/Manning circlejerk.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:Both of Flacco's INTs had as much to do with Smith pulling up on the pattern as Flacco overthrowing.
Yeah, Torrey Smith is really dropping his value in a contract year. He played miserably.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I didn't think I could love Kam Chancellor more.

I was wrong. (WARNING: loud)
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I remember the name of the coach when my dad dragged me to every single Seahawks home game: Chuck Knox.

Then it was Tom Flores. A name nobody remembers for good reason in Seattle, since he was a disaster despite his superbowl victories for the LA Raiders. The cringing and the nachos and pizza to make up for watching the other team rack up 42 points were endless.

Then my dad convinced himself that Dennis Ericsson, our local home-grown UW college coach, would save the day. There were occasional entertaining wins, but the seasons didn't improve.

Every game we'd park up by Pier 70 and ride the waterfront streetcar line (which now doesn't exist because somehow excellent transportation needed to be replaced with a sculpture park) down to the Kingdome. Which also doesn't exist anymore, which sucks. I'd pay anything to get that comfortable sight back in Seattle.

Well, then there was Holmgren. My dad's original NFL team had been the Packers before settling in Washington, and convinced Holmgren would do great things... The occasional flash of brilliance that brought us to superbowl defeat was, alas, not great. By that point, I didn't really care anymore and I mostly resented my dad for forcing me to go to every single Seahawks home game for a period of approximately 15 years. The last season we went to every home game was in 2002, I think.

Well, now, here I am stuck living on the east coast, and there was no greater pleasure on the planet than watching allllll those years finally pay off.

I was quite content with the expectation we'd disintegrate and go to 5-11 or something else terrible straight out of the Flores years for this season.

But, heh. You're welcome to hate the hell out of us, gentlemen.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Thanas wrote: Our secondary couldn't stop anything. How else would you call that? A shellacking?
I guess I misunderstood what you meant. Usually when I hear the term "manhandling" in this context, I usually think about a team being incredibly physical and getting away with penalties as a result of that physicality. I guess that was a bit of an unfair assumption to make specifically about your post; in defense, I plead the fact that I had just spent 4 hours drinking beer and watching an incredibly close and tense football game.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Thanas wrote: Our secondary couldn't stop anything. How else would you call that? A shellacking?
I guess I misunderstood what you meant. Usually when I hear the term "manhandling" in this context, I usually think about a team being incredibly physical and getting away with penalties as a result of that physicality. I guess that was a bit of an unfair assumption to make specifically about your post; in defense, I plead the fact that I had just spent 4 hours drinking beer and watching an incredibly close and tense football game.
Nah when I complain about the refs I complain about them straight up.

The only thing I could really complain about is that one play where they announced 1 second before the snap who was ineligible and then quick-snapped it. But that was 25 yards and didn't really cost us the game.

Our secondary and Torrey Smith pulling up on routes cost us the game. One is excusable considering we have no secondary to speak of, the other is not. And I fear we are going to sign Smith to a contract with WR1 money. Which he does not deserve.

In the meantime, go NFC.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Lord Relvenous wrote:I didn't think I could love Kam Chancellor more.

I was wrong. (WARNING: loud)
And THAT is why you never throw late across your body, ladies and gentlemen. I knew the instant his arm went forward it was a pick-6.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

HOLY SHIT!
John Fox, Denver Broncos part ways after four seasons

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 12, 2015 at 05:17 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 12, 2015 at 05:55 p.m.

Whether or not Sunday's Divisional Round loss marks Peyton Manning's final game in Denver, it will stand as John Fox's last game on the Broncos' sidelines.

Fox told NFL Media's Jeff Darlington Monday that he and the Broncos have reached a mutual decision to part ways.

Although general manager John Elway insisted Sunday that Fox was coming back, there were whispers around the league last week that the move would be forthcoming if the Broncos could not get past the Colts.

Where do the Broncos go from here?

It's not clear yet if the decision is connected to the futures of Manning and offensive coordinator Adam Gase.

"At this point," Darlington said on The Aftermath Monday, "it's neither imminent nor inevitable that Gase becomes the next coach."

If Gase ends up leaving for a head-coaching job elsewhere, Manning faces the unappetizing prospect of learning a new offense if he decides to return for an 18th NFL season.

Along with the questions about Manning and Gase, it remains to be seen if Elway plans a complete rebuilding process or simply minor tinkering to reload for another playoff run in 2015. The Broncos have to address the futures of more than a half-dozen key free agents, including Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore and Orlando Franklin.

As for Fox, he finishes his Broncos tenure with a 46-18 record over four years, bringing his 13-year career record to 119-89.

He turned the franchise around after the Josh McDaniels debacle, winning a playoff game with Tim Tebow at quarterback before capturing the AFC West title in three consecutive season with Manning running the offense.

Although widely respected in NFL circles, he was severely out-coached in Super Bowl XLVIII and came up short as the heavy favorite on Sunday.

Fox is now free to interview with the 49ers, Bears, Jets, Falcons and Raiders for their own vacancies.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Divisional Round game and ranks the remaining quarterbacks still standing. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.
:shock:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Huh... I know you've always liked Fox, but I've always been kinda meh on him. I will not be excited if he pops up on the 49ers radar.

I wonder though if they cut ways with Fox now knowing the Manning is leaving and that maybe Gase is the guy they want to hold onto moving forward with Osweiler or whoever they settle on at QB?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Fox is like Schottenheimer or Chuck Knox -coaches you bring in when your team has hit rock bottom. The 49ers have problems but they're not the Falcons or Jaguars. Fox would be perfect for Atlanta or Jacksonville or even Chicago.

By the way, if Rex Ryan starts winning in Buffalo, there are going to be a bunch of Jets fans jumping into the Hudson. The ones who don't break out the torches and pitchforks to run down the owner, I mean.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So I guess this means Manning is retiring?
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Or the Donkeys are hell bent on keeping Adam Gase in town to keep Manning from walking.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If his performance really was because of injury that he can bounce back from, I would imaging that is the case.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I never liked Fox, TBH. Mainly because he always throws the challenge flag on the most clear cut good calls and it drives me nuts. Now maybe he's doing it to get a longer time out or something like that, but he ends up looking like a chump wasting challenges and time outs.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Havok wrote:If his performance really was because of injury that he can bounce back from, I would imaging that is the case.
Well, supposedly he had a full on torn quad, which, if true, explains why he was throwing dead ducks.