God damn it Sorbo, you used to be cool

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: God damn it Sorbo, you used to be cool

Post by mr friendly guy »

Considering that Sorbo attacked atheists on a show where the host previously said Ebola was God's gift to the world because it will wipe out gays and other undesirables, I think its fair to say Sorbo most probably believed a lot of what was in God Is Not Dead.

On another note does anyone know how much he was paid for doing Hercules and Andromeda. I remember the actors from Sliders getting a fairly decent pay check for each episode, and I doubt Sliders had the popularity of Hercules. If he got paid the same, there is no way he should need to take shit gigs to pay the bills unless he like a lot of people spend money like there is no tomorrow.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I know that he was paid by far the most of all the cast, my guess is twice or third times as much. His salary was the largest single item for the cost of each episode.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, and for added laughs he actually claimed that there was a huge conspiracy to keep him out of decent Hollywood work due to his conservative views. Nope, couldn't possibly be the fact that he sucks.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Pay aside, some people just need to keep working in order to not get bored out of their skulls. If you were an actor for a decent chunk of your professional life, you might continue acting regardless of financial need just because you enjoy it (whether or not you were actually good at it). That's quite probably the case with Sorbo; he's at the point in his life where he can pick and choose what he's going to work in, and it shows, frankly.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:Oh, and for added laughs he actually claimed that there was a huge conspiracy to keep him out of decent Hollywood work due to his conservative views. Nope, couldn't possibly be the fact that he sucks.
Or maybe because he's such a dick in real life.

There are actors who have had trouble getting work not because of lack of acting ability but because they are such jackasses they are a nightmare to work with.

Then there are other actors some big names will take a paycut to work with/appear as cameos alongside them because they are, apparently, wonderful human beings.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Sorbo is decent in the action man role, but he isn't Tom Cruise material. Sorbo's views about Hollywood is of the same vein as Christians "I am being persecuted" line.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Thanas wrote:I know that he was paid by far the most of all the cast, my guess is twice or third times as much. His salary was the largest single item for the cost of each episode.
I think he was getting paid for being the lead and as one of the main producers on Andromeda so it was probably a lot more than anyone else on the show. I don't remember the specifics but from what I recall about seeing his "deal" I was surprised that a syndicated show could put such a huge chunk of its budget into one thing, one actor. The company footing the bill must have really been able to sell the show on Sorbo's name or something like that if they were willing to give him such a good deal.

He also had a lot better working hours on Andromeda. I think it was an important part of the deal to him since he still was recovering from his stroke, and had some long term issues that weren't likely to go away ever.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

mr friendly guy wrote:Sorbo is decent in the action man role, but he isn't Tom Cruise material. Sorbo's views about Hollywood is of the same vein as Christians "I am being persecuted" line.
I think he had a window for getting into "Hollywood" but he was busy and/or dealing with his health issues. Plus, Kull didn't exactly do all that well.

After that I do think he kind of damaged his relationship with Rami/Tappert, which might have been another "in" for him post Hercules. I also bet that how things went on Andromeda haven't done him any favors either. Running off producers and writers might come back to bite you in the ass, especially if they turn out to be successful on their own. Then it looks even more like the person who drove them away was the problem.

There are other writers/producers (Alex Kurtzman / Roberto Orci) from Hercules who have gone on to be successful in TV and movies and I haven't seen Sorbo in any of the things they've done. Granted, I don't know how he would have fit into what they've done and he might have been offered something but turned it down.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

If you think Sorbo can't sink any lower he has. Hollywood is now run by the Jooos.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/kevi ... hollywood/

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's the old "I'm not as successful as I want to be therefore it is someone else's fault" meme at work.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

His complaint doesn't even make any sort of sense
"There are no movies about the new testament because everything is run by jews - as demonstrated by this poor execution of a story from the old testament".

But then again, who needs internal consistency when you have bigotry.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Serafina wrote:His complaint doesn't even make any sort of sense
"There are no movies about the new testament because everything is run by jews - as demonstrated by this poor execution of a story from the old testament".

But then again, who needs internal consistency when you have bigotry.
Not defending the guy or anything but his statement sounded pretty consistent to me. He basically says: "I get it. We can't get any new testament stories because of the jews. But at least they could have gotten the old testament stuff right."
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

"Passion Of The Christ" is New Testament, is it not?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Passion of the Christ is also basically Mel Gibson's little vanity project. IIRC his stumping for it is the main reason major film distributors picked it up. As well, the various Christian groups in the US more or less promised everybody in their denomination would go see it-- and they pretty much delivered. You make a movie that's going to tickle fundie nipples, they're gonna show up for it and their pockets are deep. Apocalypto was built upon Gibson's success with Passion, and it went over like a lead balloon.

See also movies like 'Fireproof', 'Courageous' and 'Facing the Giants'. Which are largely produced and made by a mega-church in Georgia. Tyler Perry also makes 'family values' movies independently; they get picked up and distributed because Perry has connections in the industry, not to mention being best buds with Oprah. That recent History Channel series on the Bible? The guy who produced it and his wife (who also played in disgustingly saccharine Touched by an Angel) are fundies and received a lot of support from religious groups.

For all Kevin Sorbo's disgusting racism, he does have a point in that Hollywood doesn't typically do Bible movies and when they do, they're either kid-friendly and bland (Prince of Egypt) or dramatic versions of Bible stories heavily edited to modern tastes (the upcoming Moses movie, the 'Noah' movie-- if you go back far enough, Martin Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ). If they pick up Christian movies, it's because they've basically been promised ridiculous profits thanks to pandering to Christian groups. That's pretty much the only reason they do it; they wouldn't make much money otherwise because they just aren't really to the tastes of general society.

There is absolutely no reason to blame it on "Jews", though.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, it kind of begs the question, "If the Jews are controlling Hollywood to push a religious agenda, where are all the movies promoting Jewishness? No, Woody Allen does not count." There are probably more movies featuring Satanism and/or Satan Actually Doing Stuff, because that shit sells. If it bothers you that Christian movies are not selling, maybe you should make better Christian movies, Kevin.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That's really pretty much a huge reason why Hollywood doesn't do Christian movies right there. 95% of them are pablum for the religious crowd, made by fundies trying to promote a belief system. They're supposedly made for proselyting but in reality end up being put towards internal consumption. They have the production values of a high school drama production, but it doesn't matter because "they have a great message! family-friendly! so genuine!" and all that bollocks. The churches shell out money to truck everybody in for private showings and anybody else either catches a nap or quietly slips into a theater showing a different film.

The other 5% are made by people who know what they're doing and can wring a decent story out of them, and those are the ones Hollywood picks up. Kevin Sorbo does not fall into this category.

If they want to see what films produced by an industry controlled by a certain party look like, they should check out late 1930s-mid 40s German cinema or Russian cinema from ~1930-1990...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Elheru Aran wrote:They have the production values of a high school drama production, but it doesn't matter because "they have a great message! family-friendly! so genuine!"
Further proof that such films are for internal consumption: mass genocide at the hands of an all-loving God (a la the story of Noah) only counts as family-friendly if you're raised on that shit and still believe it.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

I kind of want to make a really good Christian movie that would make a shitload of money now, just to prove it can be done and also to have a shitload of money. As an atheist who got straight-As in Catholic Sunday school for twelve years, I feel like I have both the practical experience and the professional detachment to nail this. There'd be some kind of facile morality in there somewhere, sure, but mostly it'd just be about badass action sequences with angels and demons kicking each others' asses in high-budget epic fashion, borrowing heavily from the In Nomine RPG, the Prophecy, etc to whatever extent I can get away with without lawsuits. Slack-jawed Jesus junkies across the midwest and, to a lesser extent, the nation would congratulate themselves for blowing $30 on a summer popcorn movie on a Sunday afternoon. It would be glorious.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Prince of Egypt and Joseph King of Dreams (not to mention the ten commandments) also required heavy editing.

In Exodus the entire deal with the ten plagues was because God hardened Pharoah's heart to make him refuse. Joseph also helped the Pharaoh gain a stranglehold over the people of Egypt with that Grain stunt.

If those were left in I doubt people would sympathize with either of them.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Broomstick wrote:There are actors who have had trouble getting work not because of lack of acting ability but because they are such jackasses they are a nightmare to work with.

Then there are other actors some big names will take a paycut to work with/appear as cameos alongside them because they are, apparently, wonderful human beings.
And then, there is Marlon Brando :P
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:Then there are other actors some big names will take a paycut to work with/appear as cameos alongside them because they are, apparently, wonderful human beings.
Phil Hartman (R.I.P.) comes to mind, reputedly. Also Paul Reubens. Both are/were apparently awesome, professional guys who show up on time, know their lines, and are never assholes to anybody.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Danny Trejo is supposed to be another one. Although he plays bad guys and bad asses in the movies (and used to be one in real life) these days in real life he's a genuinely nice guy. For his first starring role a shitload of bigger name actors came out to do cameos for his movie, and apparently lots of people are still more than willing to do that for him for next to nothing or even for free. He's just that nice a guy to work with.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:Danny Trejo is supposed to be another one. Although he plays bad guys and bad asses in the movies (and used to be one in real life) these days in real life he's a genuinely nice guy. For his first starring role a shitload of bigger name actors came out to do cameos for his movie, and apparently lots of people are still more than willing to do that for him for next to nothing or even for free. He's just that nice a guy to work with.
Trejo is a random success story who feels lucky. He started off in petty crime, wound up in prison for a while, got out around age 40, and just sort of fell into acting from being the boxing coach on a film based on his experience as a prison boxer and having a very distinctive look that lead to the director asking him to just do the scene himself as himself. He's reportedly a laid-back guy with a wife and kids now. I particularly enjoy him in Heat and Desperado.

andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

And now he's doing TV ads for a "Mexican" food brand in the UK. :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I came to this late, so all I want to add is Xena: Warrior Princes > Hercules the Legendary Journeys.

It is known.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'