God damn it Sorbo, you used to be cool

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

God damn it Sorbo, you used to be cool

Post by mr friendly guy »

So Sorbo called protesters at Ferguson animals, and now he rants against atheists.

TYT totally killed him, not be demolishing his arguments, but by asking "Who is Kevin Sorbo again?"

How far have you fallen. You were Hercules God damn it. You used to be cool. Like Chuck Norris. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: God damn it Sorbo, you used to be cool

Post by fgalkin »

He was always an asshole, from the time he fired writers from Andromeda whom he disagreed with to this beautiful gem:
You mentioned the Xena spin-off. “Yeah, the lesbian spin-off.” Did you get along with the Warrior Princess? “She was okay, but you know…” Wait, she’s gay? “I don’t know. She’d never admit one way or another, trust me. She didn’t wanna lose that crowd. She did end up marrying the executive producer, which I think is how she got the role. They had another actress slated for the part.”

Really? Who was the other actress?

“Vanessa Angel, she was on that series Weird Science. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that show. She played the platinum blonde in that movie Kingpin.”
http://www.bbook.com/did-kevin-sorbo-ju ... y-lawless/

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

How many of Hollywood's "Big Man Action Stars" didn't wind up being jerks in their personal life?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sorbo is an asshole. Not only did he ruin a great Sci-fi show because he wanted to get more hot actresses to kiss and to have hercules in space, but since then he has primarily played arch conservative people. He sucks as both an actor and a human being.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I read his autobiography that came out a few years ago. I think he had some legitimate gripes with how the Xena spin-off was handled and how it impacted Hercules. He had put an awful lot of work into making Hercules work so I can see why he might be a little miffed about certain things that he thinks came about because of Xena working in the same location. Anyway, he and Rob Tappert seem to have fallen out a bit and really I've only heard Sorbo say anything along those lines. I haven't heard anything from Tappert or Lucy Lawless. He appears to have been on pretty good terms with Michael Hurst and Bruce Campbell still. Some of the hard feelings from the Raimi/Tappert side of things might come down to Sorbo having another gig lined up at the end of Hercules when they probably could have stretched a few more years out of Hercules but in a way where they and Sorbo would have probably had more financial risk in doing it but would have owned the show. From what I remember his set up with Andromeda was a pretty sweet deal for him, and he got to move back to North America. So I can't say I really blame him for not going for more Hercules. I do wish he wouldn't have exerted so much control on the show. Apparently he had a lot of input on Hercules and that had gone well...and it sort of went to his head. I don't think he was getting quite a bit of what was newish and interesting about Andromeda.

Anyway, most of his book covers him dealing with the aneurysm in his shoulder that led to him having a stroke during his run on Hercules. There is some interesting things that happen and don't happen because of that. For one, he would have hosted Saturday Night Live. More importantly though is that he probably wouldn't have married his current wife, who he met on the show. He states in the book that she called him out for basically being a self absorbed dick and if his illness/injury hadn't changed his attitude so much she would have left him. I kind of think that stuff is where his douchebaggy religious bent has come from in recent years. It's been slower than some but he really comes across as the type who has found his way back to Jesus (ie "Born Again"). With his age and growing up in Minnesota I figure there was at least some baseline religiosity in his background. He was a model in Europe before he got into acting and reading between the lines a bit I think he really enjoyed being the "hunky star" of a hit tv show that had lots of scantily clad actresses wearing industrial strength push-up bras in their costumes. In some of the commentaries it sounded like he banged or tried to bang quite a few of the female guest stars.

I saw him do a video where he was half joking/half not joking trying to get a small cameo in one of Sam Rami's movies. This was around the time Rami was doing the Spider-man movies. Around then i thought, aw he's not so bad. Then he did God Is Not Dead this year. I was really hoping that I should feel bad for him because he did it because he really needed the money. I mean, the movie looked like one of those crappy ultra-religious movies that are strait to DVD or on one of the Bible thumper networks. This makes it look like he's working his way towards going full on "Kirk Cameron".

Personally, I got a little annoyed with how strongly they tried to cater to their lesbian following on Xena, but I stopped watching more because Xena could be a holier than though bitch at times, and they kept changing Gabrielle every season. As for Lucy Lawless getting cast. I thought it was fairly well known that she got cast after Vanessa Angel fell out late for some reason. I mean, Xena started off as a character in a Hercules episode (or was it two?). Maybe they already had plans to do a spin-off but who cares? I don't see how Sorbo can complain if Tappert decided to cast the actress he was banging when Sorbo likely was having a pretty good run with the actresses coming in to do the show. I mean, he did end up marrying one, and then he had her on Hercules and Andromeda.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Thanas wrote:Sorbo is an asshole. Not only did he ruin a great Sci-fi show because he wanted to get more hot actresses to kiss and to have hercules in space, but since then he has primarily played arch conservative people. He sucks as both an actor and a human being.
Google is failing me but there was a hilarious comic about this:

"-Dylan, you are a half-god... er.. Paradine..."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Spekio wrote:
Thanas wrote:Sorbo is an asshole. Not only did he ruin a great Sci-fi show because he wanted to get more hot actresses to kiss and to have hercules in space, but since then he has primarily played arch conservative people. He sucks as both an actor and a human being.

What! :wtf:

I stopped watching the show before that happened. I took it with a grain of salt when he was revealed to be half heavy gravity worlder. The Paradine crap is just bull shit. :lol:
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That he was a half heavy gravity worlder was revealed already in S1, wasn't it?

As to the paradine crap, yeah, that was the last season of Andromeda, where it really turned into hercules (with some sort of space element). Main set was a bar on some crappy planet. The ship itself barely featured at all and space was nothing more than a plot gimmick.

If you put stills from the last season to S1 (or even S4) you would not believe this to be the same show. Oh, and there was the great "let's replace Lexa Doig with a washed up playboy bunny" idea. Granted, Lexa was pregnant, but watching her replacement struggle to show any emotion at all was painful.

I really like how the creator of the show came out and wrote his own ending to the show in which he basically showed how Sorbo-Andromeda sucked.

The real highlight over the last few years though was Sorbo trying to milk money from fans by saying that he wished things had been different with the writers being fired (when he was one of the main forces who at the very least did nothing to prevent that firing and that is taking an extremely charitable interpretation of his actions.). Yeah, no shit, asshole, maybe you could have not gotten the writers fired?

(BTW, the quality of the writer's work shows that they would have been just fine...if meathead Sorbo had not messed it up).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The Young Turks are a 5th rate show complaining about bullshit done by idiot 4th rate celebrities in a way that couldn´t be more annoying if done by a hoard of teenagers. It´s vulgar crap in the same league as this Jerry Springer show that ran back in the 90s.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Thanas wrote:That he was a half heavy gravity worlder was revealed already in S1, wasn't it?

As to the paradine crap, yeah, that was the last season of Andromeda, where it really turned into hercules (with some sort of space element). Main set was a bar on some crappy planet. The ship itself barely featured at all and space was nothing more than a plot gimmick.

If you put stills from the last season to S1 (or even S4) you would not believe this to be the same show. Oh, and there was the great "let's replace Lexa Doig with a washed up playboy bunny" idea. Granted, Lexa was pregnant, but watching her replacement struggle to show any emotion at all was painful.

I really like how the creator of the show came out and wrote his own ending to the show in which he basically showed how Sorbo-Andromeda sucked.

The real highlight over the last few years though was Sorbo trying to milk money from fans by saying that he wished things had been different with the writers being fired (when he was one of the main forces who at the very least did nothing to prevent that firing and that is taking an extremely charitable interpretation of his actions.). Yeah, no shit, asshole, maybe you could have not gotten the writers fired?

(BTW, the quality of the writer's work shows that they would have been just fine...if meathead Sorbo had not messed it up).
Yeah that was extremely irritating. However, Season 3 did at least give us the awesome that is Teal'c and Daniel Jackson having a punch-up that Daniel gets to win. Different characters I know but it was still great. Plus the whole idea of a warship going insane was just too hilarious.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah but compared to S1 the episode still sucked. It basically was a bad rehashing of S1's episode Star-crossed.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Oh I don't give a rats ass about the rest of the episode, just the scenes with both of them in.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

mr friendly guy wrote:How far have you fallen. You were Hercules God damn it. You used to be cool. Like Chuck Norris. :D
While I think you're snarking here, one of my pet peeves is those who can't distinguish the actor from the role. Hercules is who he played, Kevin Sorbo is who he is.

Lot's of actors are assholes. You don't have to be a great actor, just an adequate one, to play a character of a different personality than your own.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Yeah but when Hercules was airing MFG, like myself, was in his teens or maybe preteen, so fair go.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I was in high school when Hercules came out. On Saturday night awesomeness where my entire family would watch the Australian version of Gladiators, then my sister and myself would watch Hercules + / - Xena as well.

I would also watch Walker Texas Ranger. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Broomstick wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:How far have you fallen. You were Hercules God damn it. You used to be cool. Like Chuck Norris. :D
While I think you're snarking here, one of my pet peeves is those who can't distinguish the actor from the role. Hercules is who he played, Kevin Sorbo is who he is.

Lot's of actors are assholes. You don't have to be a great actor, just an adequate one, to play a character of a different personality than your own.
I am being a bit snarky, but I do consider coolness to just be because they did a great acting gig, but also dependent on personality as well.

Its also partly because I never heard of what Sorbo did outside of acting. I just knew he played great characters on shows I liked such as Hercules and later Andromeda when I was in university. He seemed to be able to handle the action man role. What I heard of him outside of acting was from interviews where he portrayed himself as down to earth type, like when these guys confronted in a bar and said, "So you're Hercules, you must be pretty strong," to which Sorbo claimed to have said "Its just a television show, I don't think I am the strongest man in the world, I am just an actor" and then he bought them a drink.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Spekio wrote:

You mean this.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The first thing that I recall Sorbo doing wrong on Andromeda was getting the theme music changed. The original music was done by Alex Lifeson of Rush. It was unique and rocked. It helped me get pumped for an episode.

Sorbo had it replaced with the dreary music that played over the end credits.

I'm kind of "meh" over Ron Moore's ending to the show but it is still better than where the show went without him.

This is one of the shows I'd really like to see remade at sometime in the future. Do it serious and adult and it could be pretty cool. I mean, the Magog, the Spirit of the Abyss and Nietzschean society weren't exactly what I would call "kid friendly" so why not go all the way. That future was supposed to be pretty grim and could have been very creepy and interesting. A little more money so the Magog, Trance (with her tail) and the Vedrans (centaurs?) would all look a bit better.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

mr friendly guy wrote: You mean this.

I think it is.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

This is why you don't listen to actors about anything except acting.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I never really liked Sorbo as Dylan in Andromeda from the start however, he went from tolerable annoyance in a awesome backdrop to eye-gouging blackhole.
The Season 3 intro credits pretty much nails it with Sorbo / Dylan effectively telling the audience he is awesome and the other actors are just around to further make him awesome.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:

So it annoys you when people refuse to financially support repugnant bigots who makes movies attacking atheists, and generally is a racist dumbass?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

No, it annoys me when they can't differentiate the actor from the part. If they are capable of noting the difference I have no problem with them either supporting or boycotting the actor for his/her personal views/beliefs/actions, as appropriate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Broomstick wrote:No, it annoys me when they can't differentiate the actor from the part. If they are capable of noting the difference I have no problem with them either supporting or boycotting the actor for his/her personal views/beliefs/actions, as appropriate.
Do you seriously believe that he signed up to play a role in a Christian movie wand didn't believe a single thing the movie purports?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, it's entirely conceivable that an actor would sign up to portray a part in a movie he doesn't "believe" in. An actor is paid to make-believe, that's what they do. They get paid to play a role.

Now, actors probably prefer to play roles they "believe in", however you want to define that, but just as a straight actor can play a gay character, or a gay actor can play a straight character, an atheist can play a devout believer, a devout Christian can play an atheist, a Jew can play a Christian and vice versa or a pagan or some sort of cultist.

For Fundy-type productions yes, probably the actors involved will be believers, especially if the backers of the production insist on it, but in a general sense it's entirely conceivable a non-Christian would take a job in a highly Christian production because, you know, actors have bills to pay.