The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Australian PM gets the John Oliver treatment

Post by mr friendly guy »

Video link http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y1ez ... night_news

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv ... 6940367958
Tony Abbott lambasted on US TV show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
1 HOUR AGO JUNE 02, 2014 5:51PM

IT would appear the secret’s out: America knows about Tony Abbott.
Satirical US news program Last Week Tonight with John Oliver today aired a segment ruthlessly collating our embattled PM’s most embarrassing moments.

In a regular segment devoted to ‘Other countries’ Presidents of the USA’, the HBO show turned its attention to Australia, describing our current leader as “hard line right-wing Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who rose to power promising to be pro-business and religiously anti-immigration — literally, religiously anti-immigration.”

It then cut to Mr Abbott on ABC panel show Q&A, explaining to host Tony Jones that “Jesus knew there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia”. Cue much laughter from the Last Week Tonight studio audience.
“Exactly. Australia is for real Australians, like Tony Abbott — who was born in London, England,” the Last Week Tonight voiceover intoned.

From there, Last Week Tonight cut to clips of former Prime Minister Paul Keating, protesters and even schoolchildren lambasting the PM. “My mummy calls him Tony Dum-Dum,” said one young boy in an undated interview.
Then followed clips of Mr Abbott’s disparaging remarks about women (“What the housewives of Australia need to understand is they do the ironing”), gay people (telling 60 Minutes’ Liz Hayes he feels “a bit threatened” by homosexuality), the Irish, and his now-infamous wink while speaking to an elderly sex-line worker.
They finished with his silent response to a journalist who asked about his choice of words when speaking about a fallen Aussie soldier:

“Yes, Tony Abbott knows, one panicked pant-sh**ting expression is worth a thousand words,” the voiceover said.
Reaction from American viewers — and Aussies who’d managed to view the segment online — was swift and decisive:
Well now the Americans can also take solace that we too have shitty leaders.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Australian PM gets the John Oliver treatment

Post by Thanas »

Wait, Abbott was born in England? That explains so much.
(usually it is the newcomers who are often the most extreme as they think they have to prove themselves)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

BTW, here's the vid:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Was that the guy caught on camera eating his own earwax, or was that a different Australian politician?
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Nah, that was Rudd. Rudd gave good apology,but otherwise was a completely gutless wonder. So was Gillard, unfortunately. Between them, they managed to create a complete leadership debacle that ended up with voters just wanting to vote in anyone else who wasn't Labor (sic). We would have voted in a shit-covered dog as long as it wasn't Gillard or Rudd, and hey! We did!
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Gawd but I wish Ruddy could have just supported Gillard instead of... You know... Or the other way around, whatever.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

But hey, Western Sydney is called the 'heartland of the (X) Party', and one of the electorates is represented by this person

Government we deserve.
Last edited by tim31 on 2014-06-04 12:39am, edited 2 times in total.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Since we are digging up dirt on our politicians and sharing it gloriously with the rest of the board, lets bring up this old chestnut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459x66E_vmo#t=13m10s

And who can forget this gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkQlVrcreI

Ironically one of the good things Tony Abbott actually did was helped in destroying her political career. Because they were both competing for the racist, er I mean conservative vote.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

This quote from Abbott always puzzled me.

"I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak."

Yeah, this is the guy currently in the big chair.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

The right to not have sex has got to be a legal absolute.
Within a relationship there needs to be the willingness on both sides to compromise, to find a place both can be happy with, or else they may prefer to find a new relationship that's a better fit.
However, I believe we have more problems with men demanding sex then women withholding it, and so Abbott's input was really unnecessary, and only serves to make the embarrassing "men's rights" fringe louder.

But it's all right. He's Minister for Women!
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

This clip

'This chamber... should never be a place where motives are impugned or characters assassinated.'

That was the day the hypocrimeter broke.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

tim31 wrote:This clip

'This chamber... should never be a place where motives are impugned or characters assassinated.'

That was the day the hypocrimeter broke.
I don't get it. Can we have some context (not really into australian politics).
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Abbott and his gang in opposition spent the three years between elections running off at the mouth with ad hominem attacks on the PM(Gillard, then Rudd) with the help of News Limited. Since the election these people have gone on to commit nearly every bit of bad politics they accused the previous government of.

The speaker of the house, as nominated in that video, has shown a distinct disdain for the phrase 'without fear or favour', culminating in opposition members ejected like spent SMG casings. Meanwhile, the education minister called a member of opposition a cunt without censure, and on one occasion gave direction to the speaker with a hand signal.

Just terrible.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Comedians also need to showcase Abbott with his exercise bike and speedos projecting a manly aura. I swear he was trying to take a leaf out of Tsar Putin's playbook. Only Putin actually looks like a scary badass. The only thing scary about Abbott is his misogyny and homophobia and the fact he makes racist statement, er I mean "jocular" remark.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He sounds like the STRAYAN George W Bush.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Honestly he's probably worse. Bush with a hefty helping of spite.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Alkaloid wrote:Honestly he's probably worse. Bush with a hefty helping of spite.
I'd argue that he's Bush without the God complex.

To be fair, I'm not exactly a suppository of knowledge on the subject. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

He's a cunt.

And he's in power because the ALP is run by a bunch of fucking treacherous, power grabbing, navel gazing, pit of viper twats who couldn't organise a root in a whore house. Thanks ALP.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'