What are your plans regarding death ?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Re: What are your plans regarding death ?

Post by Rabid »

PeZook wrote:Have the people who want a Viking funeral made any actual arrangements for such?

Because if they did, it's the most awesome thing I've read, and if they didn't, they really should because otherwise it's just internet grandstanding.
Well, I'm 21, in perfect physical health, and my lifestyle is really risk-averse, so...

One thing is sure is that when I die I'm donating my organs - this I have made sure my family know my will on the subject. Maybe I'll donate what is left to science ? If I can, maybe I'll make them cryogenize my head/central-nervous system for the hell of it ? I dunno.

The question is : what to do of my final remains (IE : ashes) ? The viking/rocket solution would be awesome, but it would be too costly and it'll be a bother to organize for those who will have to make it a reality. On the other hand, I hate cemeteries, they're really too depressing ; so I think I'll just ask for my ashes to be released somewhere of significance for me.

And other than that, my plan about death is to avoid it as long as it is reasonable - how I define "reasonable" in this case being intimate knowledge...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

PeZook wrote:Have the people who want a Viking funeral made any actual arrangements for such?

Because if they did, it's the most awesome thing I've read, and if they didn't, they really should because otherwise it's just internet grandstanding.
Being only 20 I have gone no further than writing a rudimentary Will on my laptop. Everything goes to family, friends etc and organs go to science. The viking funeral bit, well, I added that this would be perferable if at all possible, but cremation and scattering is an acceptable alternative.

I will make more detailed (read: actual) preparations when I am in a position to do so. Not really something a 2nd year student can do much about.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just letting people know your preferences is actually quite a lot - I've buried plenty of loved ones and friends over the years and it can be immensely comforting to have SOME idea of what the deceased might have wanted or preferred.

I'd prefer to be cremated, but the truth is I'm not the one who will have the final say. It's a preference, but if my heirs decide to do something else with me it's not like I can stop them. :lol:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Am I the only one who absolutely does not care what happens to the body after death? I mean seriously, people could feed the rats with it for all I care. It's not like I will be around to see it. The only instructions I intend to leave about it is for my family to do what ever is cheapest.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

By saying that arguably you are concerned your relatives don't needlessly spend money on an empty shell, so you care to that extent.

No, you're not the only person I've known who really doesn't care - but it is a minority position.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My main concern with whatever service is held is that people not be sad. I've been to too many funerals in my life and every one was the same, dreary churches or chapels filled with miserable mourners. Yes, fine, someone you loved is gone, but you should not cry. They would not want you to cry.

My will's main stipulation is that my funeral, whatever form it takes, should be as happy an occasion as possible.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

Hehh, me neither. Too bad that my preferred option of turning my body into fertilizer is not yet available. At least it'd be useful for a change.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:My main concern with whatever service is held is that people not be sad. I've been to too many funerals in my life and every one was the same, dreary churches or chapels filled with miserable mourners. Yes, fine, someone you loved is gone, but you should not cry. They would not want you to cry.

My will's main stipulation is that my funeral, whatever form it takes, should be as happy an occasion as possible.
Amen bro :)
I've always told people I want to be cremated, and if theres a funeral, I want it to be similar to the one Data throws for LaForge and Ro in TNG.
As for my stuff? I'm sure someone will figure something out. Its not like I have tons of stuff to be fought over, or tons of friends/family to fight over it.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Purple wrote:Am I the only one who absolutely does not care what happens to the body after death? I mean seriously, people could feed the rats with it for all I care. It's not like I will be around to see it. The only instructions I intend to leave about it is for my family to do what ever is cheapest.
This.Honestly, I'd rather burn the body and have the ashes thrown away if it'll prevent them spending money on a burial to "keep up appearances", but honestly depending on where I was living at the time, I'm pretty sure my family will have one anyway. But otherwise I have no real preferences. Use my body as a snowboard if it makes you happy.

As for proper arrangements made beforehand, I honestly have none. I'm very young with small amounts of actual money so there's little to set aside for inheritance.I just pray that I don't have a crippling,fatal disease somewhere I can't get euthanised... difficult situations may arise.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I've made my wishes clear to the people I care about. But to Purple, etc: the funeral isn't really about you. You and your life are the focus of it, certainly, but it's for your friends and family.