Visiting London - what to see except the usual ?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raesene
Jedi Master

Visiting London - what to see except the usual ?

Post by Raesene »

I'm going to visit London (together with my sister and a cousin) starting easter sunday until thursday of the same week- has someone recommendations what to see that's not well known but interesting ? All of us have been there already, that's the reason why I'm asking for hints to unusual museums etc.

The usual suspects (Tower, Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's as well as the National Maritime Museum are already covered, maybe we'll visit Hampton Court, London Zoo or the Museum of Natural History. The National Gallery is also already on the to-see list.

Does someone know when HMS Belfast and Cutty Sark will be open again ? :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Hillary
Jedi Master

Re: Visiting London - what to see except the usual ?

Post by Hillary »

Cutty Sark opens the end of this month; HMS Belfast is closed until "after Easter", whatever that means.

The Chelsea Physic Garden is rather nice. Also, try a boat trip from Westminster to Kew - it's really lovely and you can then visit the wonderful Kew Gardens. Alternatively, you can stay on the boat which will then take you right to Hampton Court (which is also excellent). Not all boats go to HC, so check.

Churchill War Rooms are a good one (in St James's Park - worth a look round in itself. Some great views of Buckingham Palace from the bridge on the lake and you get the bizarre sight of seeing Pelicans in central London).

If you're interested in such things, you can book tours around the Royal Albert Hall and the Theatre Royal in Covent Garden.

The Courtauld Gallery at Somerset House is brilliant - some really good Degas sculptures in particular.

London Transport Museum (obvious but good), Museum of Moving Image on the Southbank, No.1 London (wonderful house on Hyde Park Corner), try the Duck Tours for a bus tour with a difference (an amphibious vehicle, so you get the roads and river).

I'll give it some more thought, as there's loads I've missed out.
What is WRONG with you people
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

- HMS Victory
- Antiquities collection at the British museum
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Since you're going to the NMM, be sure to stop by the Royal Observatory. Also take the riverbus or DLR over and you can compare/contrast the Canary Wharf architecture with the old central London styles.
The Victory is two hours away down the A3 from London, but it is certainly impressive, you won't find a fully preserved ship-of-the-line anywhere else.
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

I really like the Greenwich Observatory, although it is a bit hard to get to on the tube. This is also near the old Royal Naval College, latterly closed and turned into one of the worst universities in Europe, but if you can still get in to see the Painted Hall that is also well worth it.

You say you will maybe go to the Natural History Museum. That is on the same site as the Science Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum; it's easy to spend a day or two just in that area. And then you can go to Hyde Park for a picnic.

I wasnt aware that Cutty Sark was re-opening so soon. I may go there myself...
Thanas wrote:- HMS Victory
That is in Portsmouth, which may be a bit far to drive in the time. However if you do decide to go there it is excellent, and make sure to also see HMS Warrior on the same site. The remains of the Mary Rose are also there and not much to look at, but that is where the history of naval warfare really began to separate from 'land fighting at sea'.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

As mentioned above, the Cabinet War Rooms, Science Museum and Royal Observatory are all excellent places to visit. As an addendum to the Cabinet War Rooms, the Imperial War Museum itself is excellent (and only one stop away from Westminister on the Bakerloo line). If you like good views, the London Eyes gives a spectacular view of London, if the weather is reasonable.

If you can get down to Portsmouth to see HMS VictoryI strongly recommend it. HMS Warrior is also there and both are very much worth the price of admission.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Thank you the recommendations !

The river tour to Hampton Court sounds great, but that will depend on the weather - the forecast does not sound too good to me. Kew and the Physic Garden are fair weather sights, too.
Visiting Portsmouth is not feasible this time, but I'm planning a tour through southern England sometime in next few years - I don't want to neglect Warrior, Victory and Mary Rose, but want to give them enough time. Can the current naval base be seen too, e.g during a harbour tour ?

If Belfast is still closed, I'll visit the IWM again, the London Eye tickets have been booked already.
I visited the British museum the last time I was in London, its turn is when I'm there the next time.

The Royal Observatory is now on my list (can't believe I forgot that one!), as are the Churchill War Rooms. I'll suggest the Courthauld Gallery and the Duck tours (sounds like fun) to my fellow travellers, I hope I can convince them.

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The usual entry to the Portsmouth Historic dockyard gives you access to HMS Victory (once), the Maty Rose thing (once), a Harbour Tour (which, yes, shows you some of the dockyard)(once) and HMSWArrior and the RN Museum as many times as you like for the next 12 months.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Collossus
Youngling

Post by Collossus »

If you’re looking for something a little spooky try the Jack the Ripper night tour.....
"The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."
Kierkegaar
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Track down our missing members Zaia (somewhere living with Hubby Lord Woodlouse), and Innerbrat....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

the markets are good - camden market is very touristy, but the stables was awesome lasty time i was there (may have been redeveloped though)

Portobello road market is still fun,
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

When you're in Westminster and if you're historically inclined, consider stopping at the Banquet Hall of Whitehall Palace (basically right across the road from 10 Downing Street). It's the only surviving structure of Whitehall Palace, and was also the spot where King Charles I was executed, and which has an impressive painted ceiling by Rubens.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I'd give my left nut to got to London, pity testicles aren't accepted currency.

For instance; the launching ways of Great Eastern, or at least the remains thereof, are still in place. How I'd love to explore that artifact.
HMS Conqueror wrote:...but that is where the history of naval warfare really began to separate from 'land fighting at sea'.
That's debatable.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Thanks for the advice everybody - turned out the five days were not long enough to even see everything I wanted to see at first. I stuck to my must sees and adjourned the recommendations to the next visit.

Went to the Tower, Westminster, St. Paul's, the National Gallery and took a Rivercruise to Greenwich. Just the NMM, I hurried back to the boat and skipped entering the Royal Observatory (just wealked around it) becasue I didn't want to be caught by the thunderstorm afterwards. Didn't keep me dry, though - I was drenched at Westminster pier waiting to disembark - there were even some hailstones. Shocking! The tidal range of the Thames surprised me, I got a good comparison going downriver at low water and upstream close to the high water.
Funny thing: I arrived by boat (as mentioned) and wondered why there was a French flag flying over some of the buildings - turns out they were shooting a movie and dressing everything up as Paris. Lavender sellers, dirt on the roads, horses, carriages and lots of people in costumes, including security to keep people from taking pictures.

Cutty Sark was beautiful, unfortunately not yet open. HMS Belfast looked magnificent from the boat, gut a very nice bow on shot. Her reopening will take some time I'm afraid, the walkway is still incomplete. Sometime after Easter could be a long time after Easter.

The view from the London Eye was good, but I'm not really convinced it was worth the entrance fee. Prebooking doesn't keep you from having to queue two times - you have to book priority tickets.

Food was good, found a nice italian restaurant close to the hotel in South Kensington and had dinner there most of the time, the exceptions being the theater evenings (Last minute tickets were my friends). My sister wanted to see All New People (by Zach Braff of Scrubs fame, who also was on stage), so I saw that (reviews weren't that great, but it was a fun piece to see) and went to see The King's Speech alone, my two travel compagnions fearing their English wouldn't be good enough to understand it. I doubt they'd have had problems. The play was good (the movie is based on it), the actors intense. Charles Edwards as King George VI is superb, playing a stammerer must be difficult. Jonathan Hyde as Logue is a good match, and seeing Baron Harkonn..., eh Ian McNeice was a nice bonus. A pity he wasn't on stage much as Churchill.
Long Day's Journey into Night (with Laurie Metcalf) is also on stage now, but I had to pass, not enough days left :-(

My nemesis lurked at Piccadilly: Waterstones - I spent two hours there trying to decide what books to buy and not exceed the weight limit of my luggage. I now have to find about 40cm shelf space. I'm also not looking forward to my credit card bill ;-)

For my next visit I have to plan at least a full week - and this time I won't wait 16 years to go again (and take a scale with me to the bookshop ;-))

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Hampton Court is quite lovely, as is Kew Gardens.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor