my first earthquake

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

my first earthquake

Post by dragon »

only a 5.6 here but still cool experience. My first reaction was to yell at my upstairs neighbor to knock it off, then realized car alarms going off.
United States Geological Survey confirmed a 5.6 magnitude earthquake just east of Oklahoma City that was felt by residents in several counties including Comanche County and Stephens County just before 11 o'clock Saturday evening.

The 5.6 earthquake was the strongest in Oklahoma history.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: my first earthquake

Post by Iroscato »

Nice, I've only ever felt an absolutely tiny quake, and even that might have just been the wind rocking the house slightly. XD
Was there any damage to your house or neighbourhood?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

nope none what so ever other than the ridicule the people from CA made on several forums.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yes, you will get that from us.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's because we are professionals. :D

5.6 is decent. It's a foot massage for us, but decent.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Havok wrote:That's because we are professionals. :D

Consider the location, though, mang. It could be jellotstone 'bout to get rowdy.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Is that a joke? Yellowstone is in Wyoming.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Is that a joke? Yellowstone is in Wyoming.
Look, Earth doesn't care what you call it, dig? Everything's connected by plates so a tremor in Oklahoma can cause an eruption in Peru. It's science. You'd know if you read books.

Yes, it's a joke. :P
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Chardok wrote:Consider the location, though, mang. It could be jellotstone 'bout to get rowdy.
I think you mean Jellystone, where Yogi and Boo-Boo steal pic-a-nic baskets from unsuspecting tourists.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Is that a joke? Yellowstone is in Wyoming.
Yeah, and if Yellowstone went boom, the first I heard of it might be the ground shaking clear from the other side of the continent, for all I know...

That may seem unrealistic to a geologist, but it's actually like one thought that flashed through my mind when that quake hit DC this summer- shit, what if that was another New Madrid earthquake? When you live in very non-earthquake country, and when you don't know how to compare the probability of a mega-quake far away versus a mini-quake nearby...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Havok wrote:That's because we are professionals. :D

The midwest quakes are felt normally about 4 times the distance away from the epicenter then Cal quakes and you guys have bedrock to build on. We got prime liquefaction areas that entire cities are built on.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Simon_Jester wrote:That may seem unrealistic to a geologist, but it's actually like one thought that flashed through my mind when that quake hit DC this summer- shit, what if that was another New Madrid earthquake? When you live in very non-earthquake country, and when you don't know how to compare the probability of a mega-quake far away versus a mini-quake nearby...
Quick way to tell the distance from the epicenter: If it feels like someones using a jackhammer in your living room, it's nearby. If it feels like your house is suddenly adrift on a boat, it's farther away.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie