Deadliest Warrior has finally become what it was meant to be

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: Deadliest Warrior has finally become what it was meant t

Post by ArmorPierce »

weemadando wrote:That episode was fucking rotten.

I mean, as soon as they said: "vs George Washington", we know who was going to win.

Plus the logic of some of their choices: "Here's a battle where we show off Washington's expertise, whereby hte French completed trapped a British force and let him finish them off. That's far more impressive than any of Napoleon's stuff." FFFFFUUUUUUU

And then the final battle sequence. Where Napoleon knocks Washington off his horse and then dismounts himself to duel him one on one? How about just ride past with your cavalry sabre again? STAGE YOUR BATTLES BETTER.

At least it was better than the SWAT v GSG9 one, where for all the tests it was: "Here's a bunch of actual SWAT officers, and here's a guy who was a German army conscript."
The simulated battle is just eye candy. It has no bearing on the results.

That said, I think that the methodology don't really make sense often times. What they do is they enter values (I don't know how they determine the values) into a computer program which runs simulated battle several thousand times.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I would be personally willing to pay a lot of money to get a license for the software that they use to make these comparisons.

The weapons testing, for me, remains by far the best part of the show. The kilij sword, for example, and the Shaka v. William Wallace match-ups were extremely entertaining. Even Washington v. Napoleon matchup was entertaining in this regard, since you could see the comparisons between the two swords and the artillery "duel."

That said, I'm also pretty psyched for some of the later match-ups, although personally I think the vampires v. zombies one is just dumb.

As for my predictions:

Joan of Arc v. William the Conquerer (plate armor and cannon v. catapult makes up for a slight disadvantage between arming sword v. long sword; probably better ranged support, too, but it depends on how they set up the crossbow v. arbalest trial--very disappointed with the weapons selection for the show, since it should absolutely include lances v. couched spears to illustrate technological improvements in the lance that appear to have begun with William himself and progressed to create a fully mature weapon for Joan. If lances were included, then they would be decisive for Joan. I simply cannot overemphasize how dumb the show was for not doing this. It's like they want people to leave their best and most iconic weapons, and the weapons that best illustrate the changing technology of personal weapons--on the rack.)

Rangers v. North Korean Special Forces (better weapons, more selective)

Genghis Khan v. Hannibal (not like the Mongols never fought against elephants, although last time on the show, the Mongol bow was extremely disappointing compared with both its reputation and with other archers (mounted and otherwise)--probably an issue with the experts doing it wrong, but still...)

Saddam Hussein v. Pol Pot - Saddam has a better air force, artillery, tanks, and air defense - not sure if they'll take those into account, but they should...

Theodore Roosevelt v. TE Lawrence (Roosevelt has a slight edge with most weapons, but the Vickers vs. Gatling Gun is decisive)

Ivan the Terrible v. Hernan Cortez (Despite the presenters going crazy about the bardiche, the espada ropera is better than the saber and the use of armor by the conquistadors is decisive)

Crazy Horse v. Pancho Villa (machine guns, artillery are decisive)

French Foreign Legion v. Gurkha (little to separate these two, and it will come down to their set-up for how they test the automatic weapons for the two sides as to whether the BAR can hold up against the Bren)

Vampires v Zombies - Who cares?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Master of Ossus wrote:

Joan of Arc v. William the Conquerer (plate armor and cannon v. catapult makes up for a slight disadvantage between arming sword v. long sword; probably better ranged support, too, but it depends on how they set up the crossbow v. arbalest trial--very disappointed with the weapons selection for the show, since it should absolutely include lances v. couched spears to illustrate technological improvements in the lance that appear to have begun with William himself and progressed to create a fully mature weapon for Joan. If lances were included, then they would be decisive for Joan. I simply cannot overemphasize how dumb the show was for not doing this. It's like they want people to leave their best and most iconic weapons, and the weapons that best illustrate the changing technology of personal weapons--on the rack.)

Could Joan have even physically used a mounted lance effectively? I really don't see how she should be able to win unless her long range weapons are overwhelming superior to William's. She is not only up against an opponent who would be much faster and stronger than her, but has also been trained for warfare from a young age.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

spaceviking wrote:Could Joan have even physically used a mounted lance effectively? I really don't see how she should be able to win unless her long range weapons are overwhelming superior to William's. She is not only up against an opponent who would be much faster and stronger than her, but has also been trained for warfare from a young age.
For starters, the show should really be about the weapons more than the warrior themselves (how the hell do you measure the athleticism, for instance, of Shaka vis-a-vis a Alexander the Great, for instance), so I assume that the show will always use the test results rather than adjusting them somehow for the relative abilities of the individual warriors.

But to your specific criticism: a mounted lance weighs about 5kg, and unless they're suffering from brittle bone disease or something, an 18-year-old woman should be able to carry 5kg in their strong hand. The very fact that Joan's lance would have a rondel, would be significantly longer (even without the "choking up" factor on a couched spear), and would be much better designed suggests strongly that Joan would win in a joust. She also has plate armor, whereas William would be wearing only mail. Plate has a good chance of deflecting anything but a direct hit, and providing huge protection even from that in a joust. Chain mail... not so effective against a lance.

You have a much stronger argument with respect to the sword play, where Joan's disadvantage vs. William would be enormous (she's smaller, lighter, and slower), but would be much more effectively armored. I think the seemingly-anachronistic selection of the arming sword for Joan's weapon (and, for that matter, the longsword as William's), as opposed to a longsword, might be a concession to the view that she isn't strong enough to effectively use a longer weapon.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Like the show will even care about such stuff. They had the pirate get HIT IN THE FUCKING FACE with a ball and chain and not have his head bashed in.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Master of Ossus wrote:I would be personally willing to pay a lot of money to get a license for the software that they use to make these comparisons.

The weapons testing, for me, remains by far the best part of the show.
I used to think that way (esp when it was shown that the wanksabre katana couldn't do anything to mail), but after watching back-to-back episodes a couple of weeks ago (IDF commandos vs Navy SEALs, Sun Tzu vs Vlad the Impaler) I can't stand to watch that part of the show either. Why that fucktard feels the need to bellow THREEEEEEEEEE... TWOOOOOOOOOO... OOOOOOOOOONE! at every demo is beyond me. What a putz!
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

I loved this show 7 am delightedat the new season & crazy matchups.

Is it bunk? Of course (like the persian chariot sythe not even cutting the pig carcase? to Capone losing to jesse James, despite james gang being easily driven out of town prior to his death) & having the tiny guy test the brass knuckles, really?

My fave was the Shaolin twin hooks. Christ those were SHARP!

I won't place bets on the matchups, they seem pretty random in who wins.

And do you believe their assesment that slings aren't lethal? A lot of armies used them for a long time. I doubt they would if they were really that useless.
But yeah, this show is the true essence of Spike TV.

Maybe they'll have worf vs chewie next season or Han vs Riker/ Kirk. But that'd probably get them even more angry fan mail.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Stofsk wrote:This just in. Stupid show is stupid.

You'll lose sleep over it if you try to take this shit seriously. I mean come on, zombies vs vampires? Everyone knows vampires can just fly away.
The only thing I liked about the show is some of the analysis that illustrates just how much damage some of these weapons do to a person. I usually found their conclusions pretty damn dubious to say the least.

But now we're going into vampires versus zombies. :banghead:
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

weemadando wrote:That episode was fucking rotten.

I mean, as soon as they said: "vs George Washington", we know who was going to win.

And then the final battle sequence. Where Napoleon knocks Washington off his horse and then dismounts himself to duel him one on one? How about just ride past with your cavalry sabre again? STAGE YOUR BATTLES BETTER.
I loved when they were comparing swords. "OK, Napoleon's sabre did win the test we just shown a minute ago, but in an actuel duel on foot, Washington's sword would be better therefore Washington takes this round".
weemadando wrote: Plus the logic of some of their choices: "Here's a battle where we show off Washington's expertise, whereby hte French completed trapped a British force and let him finish them off. That's far more impressive than any of Napoleon's stuff." FFFFFUUUUUUU
Well, bombarding the crap of a trapped enemy for days is totally more impressive than winning a decisive victory against a numerically superior army. :roll:
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

ComradeClaus wrote: And do you believe their assesment that slings aren't lethal? A lot of armies used them for a long time. I doubt they would if they were really that useless.
Slings are definitely potentially lethal, but much less so than bows or throwing spears. I don't know how one could conclude that slings are not potentially lethal, and I don't watch that show. On the other hand, in order to be lethal they pretty much require a hit to the head, so metal helmets provided a fairly good protection against sling shots. This does not mean that hits to the other parts of the body were useless, but they were much less likely to be lethal. Serious bruises do tend to reduce the effectiveness of fighting men, and sling shot hits could probably even break ribs if the victim had no rigid armor.

The reason slings were used so long time is that they were cheap, the ammunition is practically free (many sling users did use shaped round rocks, but even that is easily crafted compared to say arrows), and almost anyone can be taught to use a sling in a few weeks well enough that you can hit a group of men. In contrast, training archers was much more difficult. Using a sling does not require great physical strength unlike most war bows. Slings were also used for small game hunting in many cultures, as well as shepherd's weapon against predators, so in many historical periods there were already large numbers of people who could use slings available.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Slings were very dangerous weapons for a long, long time. Roman slingers could pulverize knees and do lethal hits even against armor.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Vampires vs Zombies. I guess it can't get as bad as this.

Yes the star warrior is a ripped off jedi knight with lightsaber in tow.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That was fucking awesome.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Turns out a laser sword and magic powers will give you an advantage over an unarmed man. Never would have guessed.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

I always love watching this show because of the insane matchups and the over the top acting.

It also helps that the doctor says its kill shot even when the pig carcass is lying in pieces on the floor. I really wish they include a counter for how many times he says those words. :)

Plus now they got Mack on the team.
Needs moar dakka
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

The added x-factors don't exactly improve the show, since a lot of them have no real logical way of getting a value for them. Still watch just to see weapon systems put to use. Didn't like the Mack guy on future weapons and not sold on him here also, all he did was draw arrows on a map to describe a bombardment, whoopdeedoo. More info from the armoury and smiths is cool at least, and an attempt to up the medical knowledge.

Don't pay attention to the re-enactments it's been said over and over it's just a dramatization to satisfy the action and violence demo, though they do that in weapon tests by filling pigs up with gallons of blood bags.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

True enough about the dramatization. My question is how the hell do they quantify those x factors: generalship, fatigue, etc. It seems pretty damn arbitrary on the numerical values.
Needs moar dakka
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

They haven't got a clue. Which is why they got people with actual combat eperience behave like utter idiots.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The dramatisation just fucks me off because they're usually so horribly and awkwardly staged and just look dumb, in addition to the ridiculousness that their formula requires.

"Quick men, to our medium range weapons!"
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

weemadando wrote:The dramatisation just fucks me off because they're usually so horribly and awkwardly staged and just look dumb, in addition to the ridiculousness that their formula requires.

"Quick men, to our medium range weapons!"
I assume they do it that way because the average fan would be pissed with the battle ending in five seconds with a crossbow bolt to the face. Even if their own analysis has it as the most likely outcome.

The funny thing is if you look at other online forums discussing the show, people think every match up was super close because of the dramatizations.
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

MrDakka wrote:I always love watching this show because of the insane matchups and the over the top acting.

It also helps that the doctor says its kill shot even when the pig carcass is lying in pieces on the floor. I really wish they include a counter for how many times he says those words. :)

Plus now they got Mack on the team.
It pisses me off when the doctor always goes "Instant kill".

has he ever been in a war? or seen how long a fatally wounded person can keep fighting?

In afghanistan recently, a Taliban plant ambushed a Gdrman Maintenance unit 7 shot them w/ an m-16, 3 were killed, but one who was hit in the chest SIX times, survived. The Taliban himself had to be shot a total of NINE time in the chest & head before he as disabled. According to their medical "expert" everyone would've died instantly after the first hit.

And I hate rthe balistic gel, since it doesn't behave like living tissue when it's cut. In gel, a cut propogates with nothing to stop it, whils tissue has criscrossing fibers, ligaments, tendons, bones, cartilage. And how often do they sho wether the bladed weapon aftually cuts THROUGH the pig carcases bones rather than between them.

Also, how do the weapons compare to the originals in material quality? WAS that bronze cannon made w/ a log in the barrel like they claimed the real ones were? Was the impenetrable Spartan Armor made of the same bronze alloy that you'd find circa "300" BC (The mythbusters would've tested that armor until they found what it would take to punch a hole in it. then blown it up w/ ANFO or C4 :twisted:) or a modern mixture? Plus they cop out all the time w/ weapons. (If they gave the Taliban an IED using a 81-155mm shell rather than the puny "NERF" landmine, they'd have crushed the IRA in the Simulation. Plus they had Capone experts who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. hopw often did they get to train w/ the tommy? not as much as Capone's guys I'm sure. The Tommygun would have decively won the battle. There's a reason Revolvers & leveractions aren't used in war today)

Still, it was funny to watch the Dracula experts sodomize a gel dummy w/ a stick. (How dracula could singlehandedly do that to Sun-Tzu, is beyond me?)

Also, did you notice how they said they used a NEW program to assess the battle? Maybe they realised their Precious Slytherin Studios/Strategies Game Engine was crap.

& I noticed that the GSG9 guys took too damn long clearing that house & they didn't have a german designed shotgun rather than an old american one. (though I can't find any companies over there that do) & they gave the SWAT a powerful 6.8mm while GSG9 got the weakass 5.56mm even though converting one caliber to the other isn't that hard. just a larger barrel & different bolt. The magazines are even the same STANAG. The sting grenade is also more versatile than the taser shockwave.

And WTF on the SS armament? As Hitlers preferred force, they'd get first pick on the best weapons, they still won surprisingly.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ComradeClaus wrote:And WTF on the SS armament? As Hitlers preferred force, they'd get first pick on the best weapons, they still won surprisingly.
Your ignorance is showing once more and I will just ignore the whole heap of dumb stuff you just dumped on this thread to focus on this fact: The SS was regarded as little more than cannon fodder by the Wehrmacht and as undisciplined rabble. Hence, up to 1942/3 they received substandard equipment. Their "elite" status was only solidified after the failures of 1941 and the attempted coup of 1944.
------------
------------
My LPs
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Before I get going, I want to add my own voice to the long chorus arguing that the "dramatic" final duels are retarded. In fact, I often skip forward through them on my Tivo to get to the results of the simulation.
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
ComradeClaus wrote: And do you believe their assesment that slings aren't lethal? A lot of armies used them for a long time. I doubt they would if they were really that useless.
Slings are definitely potentially lethal, but much less so than bows or throwing spears. I don't know how one could conclude that slings are not potentially lethal, and I don't watch that show. On the other hand, in order to be lethal they pretty much require a hit to the head, so metal helmets provided a fairly good protection against sling shots. This does not mean that hits to the other parts of the body were useless, but they were much less likely to be lethal. Serious bruises do tend to reduce the effectiveness of fighting men, and sling shot hits could probably even break ribs if the victim had no rigid armor.

[snip]
I don't think the show argues that slings aren't even potentially lethal, but certainly the myth of David has considerably exaggerated their effectiveness, and the show demonstrates that. The Zande v. Aztec episode, for instance, showed that the sling was capable of fracturing a human femur and a skull at 20 meters, demonstrating that the weapon can be lethal if placed properly. In fact, Roman writers talked about the sling as being more dangerous than bows that they observed, since it was capable of injuring soldiers through their helmets. However, against a compound bow, or the English longbow, the sling is at a substantial disadvantage in terms of lethality, and the development of such powerful bows effectively ended the sling as a serious battlefield weapon.

Thrown spears, axes, and knives should be much more lethal than the sling, but with the disadvantage of having significantly reduced range. (The interesting one here was the atlatl from the Aztec v Zande episode--according to Spanish conquistadors it was capable of penetrating their cuirasses at 10 meters).
ComradeClaus wrote:And I hate rthe balistic gel, since it doesn't behave like living tissue when it's cut. In gel, a cut propogates with nothing to stop it, whils tissue has criscrossing fibers, ligaments, tendons, bones, cartilage. And how often do they sho wether the bladed weapon aftually cuts THROUGH the pig carcases bones rather than between them.
The doctor does frequently talk about how sword cuts have gone through bones. I won't say he's 100% consistent about it, but it is frequently mentioned which bones it's cutting through.

And a further point is that the pig's ribs aren't substantially more diffuse than human ribs, so if the sword is consistently sliding between pig ribs then it'll be able to get between a rack of human babybacks.
Also, how do the weapons compare to the originals in material quality? WAS that bronze cannon made w/ a log in the barrel like they claimed the real ones were? Was the impenetrable Spartan Armor made of the same bronze alloy that you'd find circa "300" BC (The mythbusters would've tested that armor until they found what it would take to punch a hole in it. then blown it up w/ ANFO or C4 :twisted:) or a modern mixture?
They definitely need to talk about their metallurgy more.
Plus they cop out all the time w/ weapons.
Totally agreed.
& I noticed that the GSG9 guys took too damn long clearing that house & they didn't have a german designed shotgun rather than an old american one. (though I can't find any companies over there that do) & they gave the SWAT a powerful 6.8mm while GSG9 got the weakass 5.56mm even though converting one caliber to the other isn't that hard. just a larger barrel & different bolt. The magazines are even the same STANAG. The sting grenade is also more versatile than the taser shockwave.
Wait, why does GSG9 have to use a German shotgun? All those guys buy weapons for their effectiveness; not because of their place of manufacture.
And WTF on the SS armament? As Hitlers preferred force, they'd get first pick on the best weapons, they still won surprisingly.
How was the SS an elite German force, now? They were basically MP's or gendarmes.

wautd wrote:I loved when they were comparing swords. "OK, Napoleon's sabre did win the test we just shown a minute ago, but in an actuel duel on foot, Washington's sword would be better therefore Washington takes this round".
Wait, how did the saber beat the colichemarde in the test, now? I didn't see that at all. In fact, I was completely disappointed in the cavalry saber. Yeah, it's lethal, but it doesn't do anything like the spectacular damage that we've seen from other swords (compare the gashes it caused to the pig flesh--which didn't even seem to get all the way through a side of pork--with the bifurcated pig in the kilij test). And the saber had the horse behind it, too. Not that I'd like to be hit by a saber, mind you, but the colichemarde was obviously lethal on every strike, and was demonstrably faster. I'm not even sure that the sabre did more damage than the xiphos from the Spartan v. Ninja test per slash (although it's obviously better because it provides a huge reach advantage).

The colichemarde also won the simulation, slightly, so their "expert's" intuition (which is frequently wrong because they don't know what the fuck they're talking about) bore up in that analysis, too.

IMO, the colichemarde was definitely the better weapon, and that came through in the tests, as well. Both on horseback and on foot, the saber is at a disadvantage.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wait, do people actually take this show seriously? To the extent of 'this sword has +1 damage, ergo the fight is decided'?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I don't care what anyone says, I just saw George Washington bayonet Napoleon in the throat. Its been a good day.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage