World to End on Saturday

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Larz
Rabid Monkey

Re: World to End on Saturday

Post by Larz »

Yet again my desire to use the line "Tonight we dine in hell" has been foiled. Thanks for the disappointment Mr. Christ. Guess it's waiting till October to try again...

I first heard of this because some idiot was having a day long series of seminars in Albuquerque and was advertising this by shoving high quality glossed advertisements in all the doors of my neighborhood.
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I've been down that staircase in the Vatican. It would be awesome for laser tag, actually. Also awesome are the super long and straight galleries filled with precious artwork and no cover anywhere.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you the breaking news: God finds no one righteous enough to be admitted to heaven. Postpones end of the world indefinitely. Now back to you Tom.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Someone here in Huntsville left a pair of slacks, a poloshirt, and a blue stole on the front steps of one of the local megachurches. Same outfit the wingnut pastor wears for his gay bashing semi-racist bullshit sermonizing (these were the same jackasses that ran that Christian Bootcamp down here a few years back where they made the kids whose parents obviously hated them call the Pastor "General"). I thought it was pretty funny.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Did people freak out at the sight?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

PeZook wrote:Did people freak out at the sight?
I doubt if any of those shitheads is intelligent to get the joke, dude. They probably thought is was part of the Gay Conspiracy or something.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

The only thing that happened on saturday for me was to be knocked down by a five year old girl zooming around in a supermarket with a trolly. I wouldn't had minded a rapture to just conviently pick me up then to void the indignity of being decked by a child!

I actually emailed a friend from the states who is quite religious and regarded this rapture business as pathetic scaremongering and will do a great deal of harm to Christianity in America. It has raised eyebrows over here in the UK, well its done with now anyway.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Mr Camping is now claiming it will happen October 21. The world does not care.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Captain Spiro wrote:Mr Camping is now claiming it will happen October 21. The world does not care.
To be fair, he has used that date before. However, he originally went for "rapture and beginning of disasters at may 21, final end of the world at October 21". So yes, still blatant dishonesty, but at least it's consistent dishonest - or something :lol:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Did Mr Camping ever release the "mathematical equation" (or whatever) he was using to plot this date?
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Dave wrote:Did Mr Camping ever release the "mathematical equation" (or whatever) he was using to plot this date?
I think he got it from the Time Cube guy.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

What happened was that the world was going to end on Saturday, but thanks to the actions of a secret government agency, benevolent alien and/or teenager with superpowers the apocalypse was averted, just as every previous one has. This one got further along than most; most of the time the general public never realized they were in any danger at all.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Dave wrote:Did Mr Camping ever release the "mathematical equation" (or whatever) he was using to plot this date?
I think he got it from the Time Cube guy.
He multiplied three 'holy numbers' together and then guessed that the apocalypse would come that many days after Christ was crucified. Or something like that.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

To be fair, saying nobody cares is a little unfair. It got this thread to four pages, coverage on all the news networks, and inspired many jokes.
XXXI
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I haven't read trough it fully, but I think you can find something here.

Edit: Fixed grammar.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Damn, it looks like this idiot even quit his job to spend the final weeks with his family. I wonder how many more were like him.
edit: Probably a lot because I just hear on the radio that a lot of people spent all their money or even sold their houses to buy flyers and billboards.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Its the people who destroyed their entire family's income and savings that I have the most anger for. They selfishly forced other people into hardship over their own belief.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

wautd wrote:Damn, it looks like this idiot even quit his job to spend the final weeks with his family. I wonder how many more were like him.
edit: Probably a lot because I just hear on the radio that a lot of people spent all their money or even sold their houses to buy flyers and billboards.
I´m curious. What´s up with the guy. I deleted my facebook account a while ago and can´t access the site.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

salm wrote:
wautd wrote:Damn, it looks like this idiot even quit his job to spend the final weeks with his family. I wonder how many more were like him.
I´m curious. What´s up with the guy. I deleted my facebook account a while ago and can´t access the site.
Just a guy who was ABSOLUTELY sure it was going to happen on May 21st and made a facebook page about it. When it didn't he changed his mind to 22nd of May.

To his credit, he allowed non-believers to post as well. That's a rare trait in fundiville.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

So, what did he do when it didn´t happen on 22nd either? Postpone it indefinitely?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

salm wrote:So, what did he do when it didn´t happen on 22nd either? Postpone it indefinitely?
I dunno, he hasn't replied yet since. Maybe he has been raptured after all.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Best quote from that Facebook-Page:
"Turns out Jesus doesn't rapture people, he raptures websites." Because you know, a lot of websites about this are suddenly vanishing :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

One of my old Christian friends sent me a text warning me about the Rapture, being unaware that I gave up on Christianity some time ago.

So I sent him a text on sunday morning saying:

"Did you get raptured mate? It seems Jesus had second thoughts about me."

No reply yet sadly. The mockery would have been so much fun :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

salm wrote:So, what did he do when it didn´t happen on 22nd either? Postpone it indefinitely?
The new date is apparently in October. Seems Camping went out of his house on Rapture Day and saw his shadow, which means Earth has another six months.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Patrick Degan wrote:
The new date is apparently in October. Seems Camping went out of his house on Rapture Day and saw his shadow, which means Earth has another six months.
Yup
(05-22) 19:18 PDT ALAMEDA -- The man who said the world was going to end appeared at his front door in Alameda a day later, very much alive but not so well.

"It has been a really tough weekend," said Harold Camping, the 89-year-old fundamentalist radio preacher who convinced hundreds of his followers that the rapture would occur on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Massive earthquakes would strike, he said. Believers would ascend to heaven and the rest would be left to wander a godforsaken planet until Oct. 21, when Camping promised a fiery end to the world.

But on Sunday, almost 18 hours after he thought he'd be in heaven, there was Camping, "flabbergasted" in Alameda, wearing tan slacks, a tucked-in polo shirt and a light jacket.

Birds chirped. A gentle breeze blew. Across the street, neighbors focused on their yard work and the latest neighborhood gossip.

"I'm looking for answers," Camping said, adding that meant frequent prayer and consultations with friends.

"But now I have nothing else to say," he said, closing the door to his home. "I'll be back to work Monday and will say more then."

Camping's followers will surely be listening.

"I'm not as disappointed as everyone since I didn't fully believe him," said one, who asked to remain anonymous Sunday because he worried he would be shunned for admitting he was "upset" with Camping.

The middle-aged Oakland resident said he'd been listening to Camping since 1993, when he said the world would end in 1994.

That was strike one, the man said. And this is strike two. Even so, he said, that doesn't mean the message is wrong.

"I just know he's biblically sound," the man said. "I've never been one of these guys who think everything he says is true.

"I don't think I am going to stop listening to him," the man added, heaving a deep sigh before continuing: "I don't know, I gotta listen to him on Monday, see what he says on the radio."

Outside Camping's compound near the Oakland airport, which was locked and dark on Sunday, a different religious group waited for dejected believers.

"I would encourage them not to lose their faith because they listened to a wolf in sheep's clothing, and Jesus said there would be wolves in sheep's clothing," said Jackie Alnor.

Alnor, a resident of Hayward who blogs about the rapture, said Camping had twisted the word of God by trying to predict the end. Only God knows when the world will end, she said.

"He's in big trouble with God," she said.

If that isn't bad enough, she said, Camping's false prophecy could have bigger impacts on religion.

"It's given people who hate Christianity an excuse to hate it even more," she said. "People can just paint with broad brush strokes."

Across town, a group of atheists gathered in Oakland's Masonic Center to observe the promised rapture in their own way.

"The issue is the Bible is mythology," said Larry Hicok, state director of the American Atheists, bluntly laying out his case.

Roughly 200 people attended the hastily scheduled conference to discuss the impact of organized religion on American culture.

"Every ruler needs a religion," Hicok said. "Everybody knows that's the way you get power."

He said too many followers of religion get lost in the details of their particular belief.

"Maybe the constant is love, and the rest of it you can let go of," he said.
Man, what a fucker. Looking at his extreme age, he probably believes his own shit and doesn't do it for the money though (or at least, I hope so).