what are the best non american films you have seen?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Re: what are the best non american films you have seen?

Post by The Kernel »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Millenium Actress or Ikiru.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Ip Man, wherein a Chinese martial artist beats the ever loving shit out of the asshole Japanese occupiers in a kung fu tournament. It is an awesome movie.
Speaking of chinese films with ass-hole japanese occupiers, last year my history professor showed the movie Don't cry, Nanking to our class. Obviously I wouldn't consider this film enjoyable to watch in any sense of the word, as several scenes outright disgusted me. However it does a very good job of showcasing the brutality of the IJA during the Nanking massacre. I was very disturbed after watching it, and even more disturbed to learn that the horrific mass rape shown at the film's climax actually occurred multiple times.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I felt I had to mention The Wave, a german film where a teacher forms a dictatorship in a class, to show how easily it happens in countries.

Scary shit, and an excellent film.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

That was a German film? My social studies teacher showed us that movie and I don't remember noticing anything particularly non-American about the settings or actors.

Edit - oh, never mind. There's an American version filmed in the 80's. That's the one I was thinking of.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Anyone else remember Tae Guk Gi? Korea's own Saving Private Ryan.

Downfall is also a favorite of mine.
Sorry, just noticed this post, but I did mention Tae Guk Gi, under its English name of Brotherhood. There's a film in a similiar vein apparently called Assembly but I haven't seen it.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Sithking Zero
Youngling

Post by Sithking Zero »

Princess Mononoke. Greatest. Movie. Ever.

At least, to me.
34. If your gun is leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a grievous tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no such thing as "overkill." There is only "Open Fire," and "I need to reload."

Maxims 34-37, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.

Chapter Three of Concordiat Ascendent is now up.
Rayo Azul
Padawan Learner

Post by Rayo Azul »

Spanish Movies:

Abre los Ojos - later ripped off by Vanilla Sky
El Orfanato and El Espinazo del Diablo
Todo Sobre Mi Madre
Mar Adentro

Cheers

Rayo