2011 NFL Draft

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

2011 NFL Draft

Post by Thanas »

It falls to the German to make such a thread? For shame.

Haven't gotten to many comments either. I am happy that my favorite team had a great pick with Jimmy Smith - they got the player they wanted and he helps their most pressing need as well. The video with the coaches and Ozzie cheering on the Ravens website is great as well.

Other than that - looks like SF is going to go for Luck next year with their current selection. The Saints traded great and had luck on their side as well. I however have to wonder why pick Newton as 1st - I freely admit I am not the greatest footbal expert around, but he did not seem that impressive to me. And Atlanta's trade.....they gave up a LOT. Lucky Browns.....

Your thoughts? Biggest surprise, worst pick?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Post by Tsyroc »

I thought the Cardinals did well getting the CB from LSU.

They certainly need some improvement on the pass defense so hopefully he help that a lot.

I'm still waiting to see what they do for their quarterback. They were so bad in that position last year that when they played the Vikings it was clearly obvious that if they had swapped QBs with the Vikings (Zombie Favre) they would have easily won that game instead of blowing a rather large late lead.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I thought the Saints did quite well, they needed a DE to improve the pass rush which started to fall apart last season. While we do a running back that can stay healthy we already had plenty with good performance abilities. Mickey Loomis is pretty smart and executed good maneuvering to get Ingram, we look extremely solid for next year. Thanas, Newton is a player of possible great promise but I really think he will flop in the NFL but I could be wrong, I don't think he's a solid choice. I think Jacksonville did well signing Gabbert, as Mizzou produces quarterbacks. Seattle also kind of surprised of me in not picking a QB, they must be planning on starting Charlie Whitehurst this year. Oh, as for Atlanta they really didn't need Julio that bad, he will drop alot of passes anyways, they gave too much and the Browns walked away the better party.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I was gonna make this yesterday, but I didn't think there were enough interested people.

S.F.: The only way they are going to get Luck next year is if they suck hind tit this year, which I am hoping they don't. It would be a huge step backwards as they were 8-8 and 7-9 the last two years. I suppose they could trade for him, but they would basically have to give away the next three drafts (based on what the Falcons gave just to get up to 6) because he will go #1.

Winners:
New Orleans: Cameron Jordan and Mark Ingram. Two top 10 talents. Ingram solves the running back problem and saves the Saints the 8 Million they were going to pay him this year. He will now be a free agent, and he knows it, as he already Tweeted that it has been fun. Jordan is another great Cal prospect that slowly gained momentum. He will fit great in Williams scheming, aggressive defense.

Detroit: Fairley, Suh and Vandenbosch. Enough said.

Tennessee: Jake Locker. Look, if the kid had come out last year, he would have been a top 5 or 3 pick. He is the same kid that just happened to have a bad year on a team stocked with sub par talent. People are freaking out about his completion percentages, but if you watched his games, a lot of that is because he threw so many passes away because he was running for his life most of the time. He is going to be good.

Losers:
Seattle: The NFC West is not going to be a cake walk every year, but it seems like they think it is. They needed to address defense and an aging and injured QB.

Arizona: Their team was in the Superbowl a few years ago with almost the same team EXCEPT a QB. They needed to address this so badly it isn't even funny. Their division does not necessitate two shut down corner backs. There is a balance between value and need, but the Cardinals went all the way to the end of the value end, which is just as bad as going to the need side.

Carolina: Cam Newton is an average QB with great athletic ability, but he is not going to be who they want him to be and they had so many other needs. They should have taken Patrick Peterson. Newton is not going to complete with Freeman, Brees and Ryan, but Peterson could have offered a direct challenge to the strengths of the NFC South, but they had to take him. Clausen is going to surprise people this year as well. He did the same thing at Notre Dame, starting off very slowly but coming into his own towards the end of his second year. Newton is going to be on the bench.
Last edited by Havok on 2011-04-29 07:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What do you think of Jimmy Smith?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Luck seems to be off the radar for the Niners completely with the Kappernick pick, and I'm still not counting out Smith. He is going to end up on a really bad team next year. :D

I'm interested to see where the Raiders go now as I think they were trying to trade up to get Kappernick. Will they take the chance on Mallett? There has got to be some serious fucking concerns for a guy that was thought to be the only QB that could remotely challenge Luck as the #1 QB this year if he had come out to fall this far.

Da'Quan Bowers is going to be a fucking steal for whoever gets him. Unless the knee is actually a degenerative injury as people have been alluding to, he is going to be so pissed that everyone passed on him. I can see the Raiders taking a flyer on him as they did with Micheal Bush.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

OT: The Mercedes commercials are hilarious.

And if it continues like this, the Ravens are going to get a good WR as well, since every team seems to go for Defence.
------------
------------
My LPs
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

A somewhat tangential comment: for the past couple of nights a bunch of drunken, screaming assholes has lined up across the street outside of my windows jeering people wearing different jerseys and just, well, being pricks. I can't wait for this fucking thing to be over. I never got the appeal from what amounts to lining up for teams in PE.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Damnit. Young is gone.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:What do you think of Jimmy Smith?
Great pick. Another big corner, which need to start showing up to play against receivers like Calvin Johnson. He has good speed and is going into one of the best defensive units in the league at a position they need the most. Perfect balance of need and value. Maybe the best pick in the first round.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dalton wrote:A somewhat tangential comment: for the past couple of nights a bunch of drunken, screaming assholes has lined up across the street outside of my windows jeering people wearing different jerseys and just, well, being pricks. I can't wait for this fucking thing to be over. I never got the appeal from what amounts to lining up for teams in PE.
It's just some misguided passion.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

...and now Rahim Moore is gone.
------------
------------
My LPs
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Only people who don't watch college games can expect Locker to be anything but a bust.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ravens select Torrey Smith.

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHGGGEEEEEE.

Especially with Hankerson, Cobb and JUSTIN HOUSTON left on board. With Smith's hands.....looks just like another WR draft bust for my team. Really, can anybody see any upside to this?
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

...and Washington steals Hankerson. Damnit.
------------
------------
My LPs
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I like the 49ers draft, so far. Don't let SI's insipid draft analysis fool you: OLB is definitely a position where SF was in need of a difference maker. Last year, Justin Smith was the team's leading sack artist. He's a brilliant player--maybe the best 3-4 DE I've ever seen--but a 3-4 DE should not lead the team in sacks and QB pressures. It's an indication that the team just can't get to the QB in time to disrupt the offense. We also, finally, tried to do something about our putrid safety play in the third round (I assume he's playing Safety, where he's projected to play, instead of corner), and we have lots and lots of picks in the very late rounds to build some depth and maybe get lucky enough to find someone.

SI is also panning the Colts for taking a potential franchise OT in the first round, because they gave up so few sacks and had so few interceptions last season. That is truly mind-blowing. It's like they never bothered to watch the Colts the last two years to realize how much trouble the Colts have had on their offensive line, which gave its QB less time to make throws than any other team in the League last year and couldn't generate a rushing attack to save its like.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I really, really like our choice of OT Jah Reid. As Mike Mayock said, this guy can block and made some guys (like Houston) invisible.

I also really, really hope Ozzie is right about Torrey Smith being a great WR. My earlier rage may have been misplaced, but I just do not know if he can succeed against the likes of Polomalu with that route running.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Screw the NFL Network. Everytime the Ravens draft = zero coverage.

Not even with back-to-back picks. Not a single word.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

....and the Ravens draft TYROD TAYLOR, of Virginia.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh has to say to his brother of this.

...and Hav / Master of Ossus, who suggested he was not a NFL quarterback. However, the NFL guys love it, with a 60% completion percentage, strong evolution in his last year and athleticism. Mike Mayock is salivating at the pick.

Also, there is talk of using him in a RB, WR or Kick returner role....or just as a backup.
------------
------------
My LPs
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Thanas wrote:....and the Ravens draft TYROD TAYLOR, of Virginia.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh has to say to his brother of this.

...and Hav / Master of Ossus, who suggested he was not a NFL quarterback. However, the NFL guys love it, with a 60% completion percentage, strong evolution in his last year and athleticism. Mike Mayock is salivating at the pick.

Also, there is talk of using him in a RB, WR or Kick returner role....or just as a backup.
I agree completely. I love the pick. I just don't think he can play QB at the NFL level, which is why they have to find another position for him.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here's my impression of the complete Raven's draft:

Rd 1: Jimmy Smith, CB - great pick. People whine about his off-field issues, but he has had 2 whole years without any issues at all. And he was a star player in college, so it is not as if he would not have the opportunity to get into trouble with drugs/alcohol/women. He fills a great need and Torrey Smith (who roomed with him) seems confident in him as well.
Rd 2. Torrey Smith, WR - As can be seen above, I was not that much in love with that pick. However, another fan made the quite convincing argument that he is a great speedster who can really stretch the field and was projected as a late 1st round in some mock drafts. There is also the need argument - Mason is in his last year, Stallworth and Housh won't be back and the rest are not true speedsters with that skill level. So this pick has great potential.
Rd 3. Jah Reed, RT - great Pick. With him on RT, we can possibly move back Yanda to the inside, keep Oher on LT (he should be better by then on playing LT), and have Chester maybe back up Birk. Center should be high priority in the next draft, seeing as how Birk is getting old.
Rd 4. Tandon Moss, WR - Steal. Absolute steal at that pick. This guy was projected as the third-fourth best receiver in the draft by Shay of ESPN. Excellent slot receiver, great hands who averaged over 170 yds per game. With him and Smith and the situation at the WR corps, the Ravens picked players with a lot of potential.
Rd 5. Chykie Brown, CB - good value pick. Great coverage, bad tackler, a bit slow, but with him we can allow to release some of our bad corners and get some more cap space, seeing how Ngata will get a huuuuuuge contract soon. Also, a possible injury backup, so win-win.
Rd 5. Pernell McPhee, DL - I don't know. Ozzie passed up on a lot of pass rushers to get this guy. He may have the potential, but most likely he'll just provide depth at the defensive line. Probably best player available value pick here.
Rd 6. Tyrod Taylor, QB - great pick. Most likely will fill the backup role and be developed into a future trade value guy. If he is coached well, he has the highest potential of any mid-late round quarterback out there and may even develop into a starter. He definitely is the most athletic QB of the draft, scoring in the top 2 of every category at the combine. (May also be turned into an RB, WR or - maybe - a defensive back) instead, but this would take a lot of time the Ravens might not have. I think they'll just turn him into a great backup for Joe Flacco.
Rd 7. Anthony Allen, RB - Had a standard college career, standard combine stats....decent 7th round pick. Fills a great need as well, seeing how our starting FB may get more carries as backup to Ray Rice (meaning Allen may play FB in such a scenario), or may just provide depth at the FB position. He definitely has the body strength and size to be a great shord-yardage powerback, something which Ray Rice struggled to be last season.

Overall, my layman anaylsis:

- Flacco got the weapons he needed. Drafting any better WR (Jones, Green) was impossible due to the draft order and Smith was the best choice.
- Cam Cameron has no excuse left next season.
- Overall, a great draft for the Ravens. Assuming the curse of the useless WR drafts does not set in, of course.

*SPECULATION TIME*

Of all the players picked, not one (with the *possible* exception of McPhee) was a pass rusher. Although Suggs needs some help on the other side. Free Agency also does not look hopeful with regard to that problem. Yes, drafting Smith also helps our pass rush indirectly, but I wonder if there were simply no good pass rushers available at the picks......which I doubt. If the Ravens felt a pressing need, they would have acted there. My personal crazy theory goes: During the brief period on which the lockout got lifted, the Ravens rushed to contact Sergio Kindle and confirmed he was cleared. It makes sense - if Kindle can play, that would mean the need for pass rushers just got that much smaller.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ghetto Edit: Holy crap.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:I like the 49ers draft, so far. Don't let SI's insipid draft analysis fool you: OLB is definitely a position where SF was in need of a difference maker. Last year, Justin Smith was the team's leading sack artist. He's a brilliant player--maybe the best 3-4 DE I've ever seen--but a 3-4 DE should not lead the team in sacks and QB pressures. It's an indication that the team just can't get to the QB in time to disrupt the offense. We also, finally, tried to do something about our putrid safety play in the third round (I assume he's playing Safety, where he's projected to play, instead of corner), and we have lots and lots of picks in the very late rounds to build some depth and maybe get lucky enough to find someone.

SI is also panning the Colts for taking a potential franchise OT in the first round, because they gave up so few sacks and had so few interceptions last season. That is truly mind-blowing. It's like they never bothered to watch the Colts the last two years to realize how much trouble the Colts have had on their offensive line, which gave its QB less time to make throws than any other team in the League last year and couldn't generate a rushing attack to save its like.
You pay attention to SI? :lol: I didn't think anyone still read it.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm surprised Harbaugh didn't make a play for Marecic considering they are converting Bruce Miller to FB. Maybe they felt a fourth rounder was too high for a FB with Norris still on the roster.

Lets see...

Rd 1, Pick 7 (7) Smith, Aldon DE
Rd 2, Pick 4 (36) Kaepernick, Colin QB
Rd 3, Pick 16 (80) Culliver, Chris DB
Rd 4, Pick 18 (115) Hunter, Kendall RB
Rd 5, Pick 32 (163) Kilgore, Daniel OL
Rd 6, Pick 17 (182) Johnson, Ronald WR
Rd 6, Pick 25 (190) Jones, Colin DB
Rd 7, Pick 8 (211) Miller, Bruce DL
Rd 7, Pick 36 (239) Person, Michael OL
Rd 7, Pick 47 (250) Holcomb, Curtis DB

We addressed pass rushing, QB options, Line play, CB and S depth, WR depth and rushing, while not actually guaranteeing improvement at any. There is no immediate upgrade at any position that I can see. Aldon Smith is a fine player, but spending most of his time as a down lineman, we don't know yet if he can effectively rush from a 3-4 OL position, especially against NFL tackles.

Overall I am pleased with the draft, if not excited. I was quite hoping that Peterson would fall to us at 7, but if the Cardinals want the first pick of the draft next year so they can get Luck, they took a good first step.
I guess they think they are going to get a QB in free agency. Clearly Vince Young and Kolb will be on the market, although I'm not convinced as other people are that Palmer will be traded. Look at what the Lions did to Barry Sanders. I think McNabb is washed up and going to a new system, West Coast as it may be, is going to result in a similar result as last year in Washington.

Speaking of Quarterbacks, I think based on need and value, we got the best one at the best place in the draft.

The Panthers had to take Newton, but don't count out Clausen yet. However, in their division with Brees, Ryan and now Freeman, and their accompanying receivers, I would have taken Peterson in hopes that he can merely shut down half the field instead of Newton, in hopes that he can save the franchise.

The Titans went a less physical talent in favor of 'intangibles' and leadership with Locker, as they should, having dealt with the messed up psyche of Vince Young for a few years, but could have gotten him much later in round 1 or even early in round 2. They over reached.

The Vikings pick of Ponder says quite a bit about how Frazier feels about Webb, Jackson and Bomar. Again though, a trade into the late 1st or early 2nd maybe even late 2nd, could have certainly landed Ponder. Another over reach.

Gabbert is a great pick for the Jaguars, but he isn't going to play for a couple of years and they didn't really need a QB at this pick. Garrard is a very hot and cold QB that seems to go in season long streaks, but he has been good for them.

Mallet, who is probably the best talent at QB, just went to a team, where, baring catastrophic injury and another rule change, is never going to get on the field. Good pick in the third, but only an insurance policy for the Patriots.

Only the Bengals with Dalton, in my eyes, matches the value and need combination that we got with Kaepernick. They probably have more of a need actually.

Honestly, I would have been just as happy with Enderle or Stanzi, who both went further down in the draft, as I am with Kaepernick. His athletic ability is outstanding and he surpassed both Newton and Tebow in purely athletic feats on the field and in the record books, but for some reason instead of a Steve Young vibe, I am getting a Jim Drunkenmiller vibe. :?

The biggest problem with this draft is that our two top picks, a 4-3 defensive end converting to 3-4 outside linebacker and a spread "Pistol" quarterback with run first instincts converting to a precision and timing, West Coast, make 5 reads, quarterback are going to get ZERO prep time for the season with the way it looks like the lockout is going to shake out. They are going to be non entities until year two and possibly year three. There are certainly other teams that will be facing this problem as well.

It's all well and good that the team seems to be building for the future, but as we know in this league today, if you don't win a Superbowl withing 3 years, you are probably on your way out.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Thanas wrote:Rd 2. Torrey Smith, WR - As can be seen above, I was not that much in love with that pick. However, another fan made the quite convincing argument that he is a great speedster who can really stretch the field and was projected as a late 1st round in some mock drafts. There is also the need argument - Mason is in his last year, Stallworth and Housh won't be back and the rest are not true speedsters with that skill level. So this pick has great potential.
Since my wife is a Raven's fan and I'm a huge Maryland guy I figure its worth noting that Torrey was All-ACC on a series of Maryland teams that had the offensive acumen of a small toad. The run game has been MD's bread and butter but it means that the chances to really see Smith for what he can do comes down to the few chances a game where they felt he could be let loose, the guy has wheels and a big vertical along with the willingness to cross the middle. His hands have been questionable at times but I think for the spot the Ravens went after him at he was about perfect even before, as you noted, you start counting the age on the tires of the rest of Baltimore's receiver corps.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven