Who is John Galt? Who cares?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Re: Who is John Galt? Who cares?

Post by Bakustra »

The entire story of the making of this movie is gold. For one thing, the movie was shot in a total of 50 days, comparable to the much smaller-scale Moon and started three days before the rights expired, with a director that had been on the project for 9 days total. Apparently, if part one succeeds, then part three will contain the unabridged Galt radio address, so look forward to three hours of a guy talking, perhaps played over apocalyptic imagery. My Fantasia-esque suggestion to improve the potential experience is to have the ushers vigorously kick the audience in the crotch, one by one, in order to get them in the right frame of mind for the experience.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Does that include marketing costs?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bakustra wrote:Apparently, if part one succeeds, then part three will contain the unabridged Galt radio address, so look forward to three hours of a guy talking, perhaps played over apocalyptic imagery. My Fantasia-esque suggestion to improve the potential experience is to have the ushers vigorously kick the audience in the crotch, one by one, in order to get them in the right frame of mind for the experience.
They'd probably have to do that repeatedly during the showing just to keep the audience members from falling asleep.
Phantasee wrote:I imagine that will be the third movie of the trilogy: John Galt, boring the audience to death for three hours as he does his monologue.
Movie audiences are quite safe. I doubt if part two will ever get made, much less the part three Galt-a-thon.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Is Part I doing a limited release? That's what Gawker says (of course, it's a gossip website but still).

I thought there would be enough wealthy Randroids out there who could have ponied up some more cash to improve the production values (after all, if they truly believe the Word of Rand (tm), then there should be plenty of sheeple to recoup any investment)?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm surprised those responsible didn't change "railroad" to "airline," and "new steel" to "new lightweight alloy." That MIGHT make the film more palpable to 21st century viewers.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Axiomatic
Padawan Learner

Post by Axiomatic »

Or make it superconductors and have floating maglev trains. SOMETHING.
Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I think he's from the CIA.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:What boggles me is why the hell they7 didn't just cast it in the 50's ?
I mean from watching the previes it LOOKED like it was set then, all the interiors and fancy nearly artdeco sets, why is it movies are obsessed with casting movies in modern times. ESPECIALLY when it makes no sense from the story used?
If I would have done it, it would have been in a "timeless" era in B&W. But then again almost every movie I would do would take place in a "timeless" era. Timeless I am referring to a Sin City, Gataca, Pi, Batman the animated series and Tim Burtons original Batman. Where there is a mix of technologies, so the era is not really defined.

Hopefully it makes it to Atlas Shrugged Part 4: Bioshock.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Sam Or I wrote:Where there is a mix of technologies, so the era is not really defined.
Well, it's certainly not ancient Rome or renaissance Italy and Gattaca is definitely some time off in the future from when the movie was made /snark. Timelessness depends more on what themes a movie touches upon than on the tech level IMHO. Certain themes (love, loss, war etc.) are so universal that people from pretty much any time period can relate to it in some way even when removed by centuries or millenia.
Sidewinder wrote:I'm surprised those responsible didn't change "railroad" to "airline," and "new steel" to "new lightweight alloy." That MIGHT make the film more palpable to 21st century viewers.
Agreed. Sticking to the source here only helps dating both the novel and the movie horribly. They really should have stuck to a more 50's-ish setting to minimize this effect. Rand wasn't exactly a great future visionary (utopian or dystopian) and the moviemakers shouldn't have replicated this particular failure of hers.

Besides, has anyone noticed how much the mannikin on the movie poster looks like the Lucasarts logo?

ImageImage

If I were Lucas I'd consider suing the moviemakers over this.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Metahive wrote:
Sam Or I wrote:Where there is a mix of technologies, so the era is not really defined.
Well, it's certainly not ancient Rome or renaissance Italy and Gattaca is definitely some time off in the future from when the movie was made /snark. Timelessness depends more on what themes a movie touches upon than on the tech level IMHO. Certain themes (love, loss, war etc.) are so universal that people from pretty much any time period can relate to it in some way even when removed by centuries or millenia.
That's not the sense he meant it in, as is fairly obvious.

There's "timeless" in the sense that the plot makes sense to people long after the work is made.

Then there's what he was talking about: "timeless" in the sense of "ageless-" not having a defined period that it belongs to, not having a defined age. It's not really that difficult to set a given piece of fiction in Deliberately Indeterminate Time, up to a margin of error of two or three decades either way.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well lucas has shown a tendancy to sue over a drop of the hat, which makes me wonder who would win in a battle between games workshop, the RIAA, and George Lucas....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Simon Jester wrote:Then there's what he was talking about: "timeless" in the sense of "ageless-" not having a defined period that it belongs to, not having a defined age. It's not really that difficult to set a given piece of fiction in Deliberately Indeterminate Time, up to a margin of error of two or three decades either way.
What should have been obvious is that I was disputing this very usage of the adjective "timeless".
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Besides, has anyone noticed how much the mannikin on the movie poster looks like the Lucasarts logo?

ImageImage

If I were Lucas I'd consider suing the moviemakers over this.
Oh that is PRICELESS. Literally everything about this movie is screaming 'shit'. They didn't even go for the tried and tested approach of slapping the actors onto the poster looking concerned, and into the middle distance. I think the makers have tried to do something different with this film, and failed at every turn.

Anyway, newsflash: Atlas Shrugged has managed to scrape one good review on rotten tomatoes, by the New York Post. Woop. That gives it 5%. :roll:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

How is that priceless? It's a common style, and the movie poster is clearly a man holding up the world, just like the titan, Atlas. LucasArts has a dude holding up a sun or something.

Shit, is that train tracks in the globe? And a fucking dollar sign shadow? I think the poster might be better than the book or the movie.
XXXI
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

ImageImage

The first thing that I thought of when I saw that poster was Obama's campaign logo.

Coincidence? :roll:
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Falarica wrote:The first thing that I thought of when I saw that poster was Obama's campaign logo.

Coincidence? :roll:
Considering Obama's policies are the direct opposite of Randroid ideals, I think it's safe to say the art department for Atlas Shrugged was starved of ideas, and grasped at anything "epic looking" their meager budget could cover, regardless of source.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:What boggles me is why the hell they7 didn't just cast it in the 50's ?
I mean from watching the previes it LOOKED like it was set then, all the interiors and fancy nearly artdeco sets, why is it movies are obsessed with casting movies in modern times. ESPECIALLY when it makes no sense from the story used?
Probably because making a film in a 50s setting can be expensive. Cities won't just redirect traffic for moviemakers, nor will the owners of vintage cars let them be used without serious money changing hands.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I've always considered Ayn Rand to be like L. Ron Hubbard, only not as likeable. The only other difference is that Hubbard's disciples are mostly scam artists who prey on wealthy closeted homosexuals while Rand's acolytes have real political ambitions and are behind a great deal of real mischief.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

It is the Battlefield Earth of Objectivism.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Phatasee wrote:How is that priceless? It's a common style, and the movie poster is clearly a man holding up the world, just like the titan, Atlas. LucasArts has a dude holding up a sun or something.
Two yellow and rather puny stick figures holding up large round objects. Even if you don't see any resemblance between the two, picturing the mighty Atlas in such a wimpy way is a failure in on itself considering the message of both the book and the movie.
Elfdart wrote:I've always considered Ayn Rand to be like L. Ron Hubbard, only not as likeable.
Ye gods, L.Ron was a vain, arrogant, self-absorbed, egocentric, dishonest, racist and bigoted piece of bumshit but I think you're right, between him and Ayn Rand he's really the more tolerable one.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you forgot sexist, when his all female crew of his yatch got pregnant he used to either replace theem with younger ones, or force them to have abortions.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Metahive wrote:
Phatasee wrote:How is that priceless? It's a common style, and the movie poster is clearly a man holding up the world, just like the titan, Atlas. LucasArts has a dude holding up a sun or something.
Two yellow and rather puny stick figures holding up large round objects. Even if you don't see any resemblance between the two, picturing the mighty Atlas in such a wimpy way is a failure in on itself considering the message of both the book and the movie.
A resemblance doesn't imply theft of the idea. It's a common style, as I already said. It's a shitty style, and it's a fucking plague on good logo design, but it is common. If you really want to abstract things that much then I can't argue with you, anyway. LucasArts has never tried to claim Atlas for their logo, the movie has the name Atlas in it so they can just use the damn thing and fuck LucasArts, and the fucking globe has train tracks, that's as representative of the movie as you can get. I don't even know what the other one is, a dude embracing a sunrise?
XXXI
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Doesn't matter. All that is important is that the two logos look remarkably similar and that Lucasarts had theirs first, sitck-figure mannikin and all. Lightning bolts are common symbols too and yet if I create a logo that looks like the one of Opel I still run the risk of them coming down on me if I plaster it all over a shitty product for sale. That's all I have to say about this.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sam Or I wrote:It is the Battlefield Earth of Objectivism.
Unless it can match this level of Ham...

it will not even be that.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Phantasee wrote:
Metahive wrote:
A resemblance doesn't imply theft of the idea. It's a common style, as I already said. It's a shitty style, and it's a fucking plague on good logo design, but it is common. If you really want to abstract things that much then I can't argue with you, anyway. LucasArts has never tried to claim Atlas for their logo, the movie has the name Atlas in it so they can just use the damn thing and fuck LucasArts, and the fucking globe has train tracks, that's as representative of the movie as you can get. I don't even know what the other one is, a dude embracing a sunrise?
They're the exact same colour, both are very similiar shapes (right down to tapered limbs), they are both holding circular objects, both have bowed leges.
It just takes the piss a wee bit, that's all I'm sayin'.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Phantasee wrote:If you really want to abstract things that much then I can't argue with you, anyway.
XXXI