A TV show has made me angry

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

A TV show has made me angry

Post by Iroscato »

Watching Louis Theroux: America's Most Hated Family In Crisis. It has the dubious honour of being the third TV show ever to make me genuinely angry, the first being a documentary about the holocaust, and the second about poverty in Africa. I'm literally shaking watching it. This is the very reason I get my Richard Dawkins on when it comes to religion... :finger:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: A TV show has made me angry

Post by Zixinus »

While I sense I may regret this: what pisses you off so much about the show?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I've never even heard of this show, and I know nothing about it. Your post tells me nothing, Spiro.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Oh you know, just...
The way the members of the WBC are trapped in a never ending cycle of lies, hatred, bigotry, homophobia, and general insanity. The fact that they picket the funerals of dead soldiers and muslims, they way they seem to get a perverse pleasure out of natural disasters causing suffering of thousands. My anger doesn't extend to the ordinary layman, born and bred as a member of the cult. They don't stand a chance against the evil surrounding them, poor bastards.

My anger lies with the Phelps family, the way the father created an entire network of control and ego massagingin the form of religion. It's just...frustrating...

Oh, and sorry for not saying what it is. Basically, Louis Theroux visited the Phelps family of Westoro Baptist Church fame four years ago, and has now returned to see how things are going a bit wrong for them.

Rant over now, I just needed to get it off my chest :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Oh, those assholes. Yeah, they can fuck it with a broken stick, but I wouldn't necessarily call it religion's fault. For them, it's just that they feel the need to express their superiority of religion.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

Argh!!! The Phelps'. Though I'm as much a supporter of free speech as the next guy, I wouldn't shed a tear if their entire congregation just up and, well, vanished one afternoon. They truly make me proud to be a Kansan, anyway. I still remember a few years ago when Phelps and crew showed up in my hometown to protest at a local baptist church, of all places. Apparently, the "liberal" pastor was scheduled to give a sermon that, gasp!, was pro homosexual. As in, we shouldn't hate homosexuals. The horror! Even in this staunchly religious, conservative town, Phelps was not well received.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Isn't their 'entire congregation' 100% blood relatives of Phelps?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Is this a follow up to the other docu he did on the WBC? That one was titled America's most hated family. Louis Theroux himself seems to handle his journalistic duties fine as far as I can tell from his documentaries (which have been posted on youtube).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

mr friendly guy wrote:Is this a follow up to the other docu he did on the WBC? That one was titled America's most hated family. Louis Theroux himself seems to handle his journalistic duties fine as far as I can tell from his documentaries (which have been posted on youtube).
Yep, it is a follow up to The Most Hated Family in America. This new one is called America's Most Hated Family in Crisis.

Its heartening to see how many people come to counter demonstrate every time they went outside. It also makes me appreciate that I live in a country that does not put up with such bigotry.
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The WBC obviously pisses me off on some level, however... the documentary itself shows some glimmer of hope. Not for Phelps senior and his most deluded followers, but its pleasing to see how several family members have ditched the bullshit indoctrination and starting to live their own lives. Also coupled with the fact that once people are onto them they can be defeated easily enough by the awesome power of mockery.

Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.