I'm sorry waiter, but there's a Rock in my Diesel.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Re: I'm sorry waiter, but there's a Rock in my Diesel.

Post by Whiplash »

I don't know why, but I'm actually excited for this. I really hope its a step up from that last movie, because it actually depressed me at some points. It was like I was watching a really bad drama almost. Any trailer can make itself seem like whatever it wants to be, hopefully this is actually a fun action film. And hopefully Jordana Brewster actually does more than cry and get more than 3 seconds of screen time in a car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kdcJ_oxCk

Old, but relevant.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Mang, this movie is just hitting all my buttons.

All it needs is a Bad Boys crossover and I'll be completely sold.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I've never seen a F&F movie, but whenever I see the Blu-Rays in a shop (for cheap!) I'm always tempted. They seem fun. Maybe when the compilation of the last four movies comes out I'll spring for them.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vympel wrote:I've never seen a F&F movie, but whenever I see the Blu-Rays in a shop (for cheap!) I'm always tempted. They seem fun. Maybe when the compilation of the last four movies comes out I'll spring for them.
They are pure cheese movies with some of the funniest and dumbest innuedo possible. They are worth a good laugh at how serious they try to be.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I never saw Tokyo Drift, but I enjoyed the first and the fourth quite a bit. I actually had no idea they were filming a fifth.
XXXI
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Phantasee wrote:I never saw Tokyo Drift, but I enjoyed the first and the fourth quite a bit. I actually had no idea they were filming a fifth.
You missed one of the easily cheesiest of the batch. Picture a good ol downhome southern NASCAR boy in TOKYO. So he sees this hispanic japanese girl, gets in trouble with some Yakuza, but then a Japanese guy takes pity and teaches him the ancient art of DRIFT. With this and his American grit he is able to defeat the Yakuza and get the girl!

Also Vin Diesel makes a cameo.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

2 Fast 2 Furious was the dumbest of the bunch to me, but I had the most fun with it. From Tyrese Gibson's awful lines all the way to him and Paul Walker landing a car on boat that's taking of. I also enjoyed Tokyo Drift. The only one I didn't really like was Fast and Furious, I mean the action is still good for the most part, but there was too much melodrama and the climax was stupid, I didn't enjoy the 'cave' driving in the middle, so to do it again at the end with more cars was just, ugh.

I guess their making Fast Five because the 4th one reminded them that the franchise still had money in it, and its the highest grossing one of the franchise.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

In order of dumb fun:
2 Fast 2 Furious
Tokyo Drift (there is pretty much no gap between the top two though)
The Fast & The Furious
Fast and Furious

I estimate that this new one will probably end up slotting in above Tokyo Drift just because of the ensemble that they've put together. Is it possible to have a "The Expendables" of the modern actioners? Because this is getting close.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ghost Rider wrote:So he sees this hispanic japanese girl
Wait, she was actually supposed to be Japanese?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Speaking of Tokyo Drift was there a brief shot of Han the mentor from it, in that trailer? Is this still before TD timeline wise?
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2010-12-17 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Crazedwraith wrote:Speaking off Tokyo Drift was there a brief shot of Han the mentor from it, in that trailer? Is this still before TD timeline wise?
Yes.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Yeah, it puts it between F&F and TD.

I always go see these movies; they're too much fun.

"Only my HOMEBOYS call me Rome."
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

What's funny is that my uncle was the production designer in the first F&F movie. I love to watch them though, all of them. It's so cheesy that even CSI: Miami bites the dust. It's a bit like watching the first ever Batman tv series - you always know what is going to happen next and on some occasions Vin Diesel seems too bored to act.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Ghost Rider wrote:but then a Japanese guy takes pity and teaches him the ancient art of DRIFT. With this and his American grit he is able to defeat the Yakuza and get the girl!
If the screenwriter (Asian-American btw) is to be believed, this was both a conscious decision (along the "old master" lines in folklore*) and actually an improvement on the original ending: replace "the ancient art of DRIFT" and "his American grit" with "a hidden burst of nitro" and you have the original ending of Tokyo Drift. He fought it because "what's the point of putting drifting in this then?" :lol:

* See Obi-Wan and Yoda.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The hilarious part in Fast & Furious was the blurring of the surrounding and the face of Walker when he was Driving Really Fast (for an American).
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

What, your entire world doesn't blueshift when you drive on the autobahn?
XXXI
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Phantasee wrote:What, your entire world doesn't blueshift when you drive on the autobahn?
Not yet, no. But maybe my Nitro is stale :D
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

He just needs more LSD.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Apart from 2F2F they're really good turn-off-your-brain movies. 2F2F could have been too if any of the characters had been remotely likeable.

I'm not happy about seeing Rome again unless he gets blown up halfway through the film, but the rest of it looks good. The style of the fourth movie with a bit less grimdark? Yes please.
Speaking off Tokyo Drift was there a brief shot of Han the mentor from it, in that trailer? Is this still before TD timeline wise?
I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. Han leaves for Tokyo partway through F&F, so I guess it's set immediately before that movie, but then why is the whole gang together? I thought Dom and Brian hadn't seen each other since the first film.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Your grimdark comment reminded me that Michelle Rodriguez died in F&F. :(
XXXI
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Bounty wrote:Apart from 2F2F they're really good turn-off-your-brain movies. 2F2F could have been too if any of the characters had been remotely likeable.
Pffft. That movie was the most likable for the pimped out Universal logo at the beginning. And how could you not like Paul Walker acting like he's from the street (only in this movie funny enough) using lines like "Pockets ain't empty, cuz." and of course Rome, Rome who has such great lines such as "Why must I chase the cat?"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bounty wrote:
I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. Han leaves for Tokyo partway through F&F, so I guess it's set immediately before that movie, but then why is the whole gang together? I thought Dom and Brian hadn't seen each other since the first film.
It's gotta be post F&F, Han conceivably comes back to hang with the gang in Rio for a while before they go on to other crazy hijinks.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Yeah. You gotta put the band back together if there's going to be hijinks.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Phantasee wrote:Your grimdark comment reminded me that Michelle Rodriguez died in F&F. :(
Michelle Rodriguez has like a 75% chance of dying in any given movie she's in, so that's no surprise.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin