Foreign dishes you like?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Foreign dishes you like?

Post by adam_grif »

Chicken Korma (is that how you spell it?), an extremely mild curry. It's fuckin' delicious. When I was really young I could eat the spiciest curries with the best of them because our neighbors were Indian and would invite us over for meals regularly. When we moved away from them I stopped eating them regularly, and now, years later, I am unable to eat anything other than mild curries. :(
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You guys in Hobart are so fucking lucky. Tandoor and Curry House remains the best curries that I've had. Even after nearly 4 years in Melbourne we've only just found something approaching it's quality.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Italian : Various pastas, particularly spaghetti bolognaise.

French : Onion soup. Nuff said.

Indian : Dal. Its easy to cook and it helps when sometimes I don't want a meal thats too "rich".

American : KFC. Just kidding. :D But most probably that stuff I had at Walt Disneyworld, at the Grand Floridian hotel, although I can't really remember what the dish was called. Fucking A. Also I believe eggs benedict originated in the US. Another one of my favourites.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I'm a huge fan of everything Italian, particularly proper thin crispy pizza (fuck that deepdish bullshit) and bruschetta. I also like sushi and most thai dishes. I'm not so big on the watery soup type dishes though...perhaps because of being scottish and having an innate belief that soup should have a consistency roughly akin to pollyfilla. I'm also a big fan of indian food, and not just the stuff invented here ;).

I'm also partial to a good paella and tapas style dishes. Probably thanks to my parents loving the Iberian area for holidays.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:<snip poor unterchickemensch>
I see your egg and raise you a CUY!

Which is, of course, this guy, fried

And very tasty with rice, onions, and a glass of Inca Kola (which is like the best soda I ever tasted, and the Peruvian version is made with real sugar, not that high fructose corn syrup crap).

Oh and Ando, the Russian ravioli things are called Pelmeni, and are awesome.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

weemadando wrote:What say you to mutter paneer, railway curry and a galub jamun to finish?
Mutter Paneer and Gulab Jamun? You, sir, are a man of good taste!

But what the heck is a Railway Curry?!

Oh, and to add to previous, I like a well-made Chilli con carne too.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I am addicted to Onigiri (Japanese rice balls).

I also like a good steak.

Balut is tasty if I don't have to look at it! I still can't figure out why there's so few filipino restaurants in Malaysia. Sisig..kare-kare...adobo...:D~

The best part about being Malaysian is that Malay, Indian and Chinese food are all local to me ;)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

fgalkin wrote: And very tasty with rice, onions, and a glass of Inca Kola (which is like the best soda I ever tasted, and the Peruvian version is made with real sugar, not that high fructose corn syrup crap).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
You know, the Cuy is allright but Inca Kola is probably the most disgusting shit i´ve ever tried. I mean, it´s worse than root beer, Irn-Bru and fecal matter combined.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

spegetti carbonara.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

salm wrote:
fgalkin wrote: And very tasty with rice, onions, and a glass of Inca Kola (which is like the best soda I ever tasted, and the Peruvian version is made with real sugar, not that high fructose corn syrup crap).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
You know, the Cuy is allright but Inca Kola is probably the most disgusting shit i´ve ever tried. I mean, it´s worse than root beer, Irn-Bru and fecal matter combined.
I don't know what you're smoking (or what sodas you consider "good," for that matter)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

fgalkin wrote:
salm wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I don't know what you're smoking (or what sodas you consider "good," for that matter)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
It's a proven fact that Germans don't like sweets.

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

UnderAGreySky wrote: But what the heck is a Railway Curry?!
Apparently this is the origin of it:
Railway mutton curry was mild Mutton Rogan Josh with coconut vinegar
At every Railway Station, and on long run trains, Mutton Curry was served with rice, bread, and butter. The Indian Railway staff ate the same curry with rice, or Roti packed by their wives for the journey. The Mutton curry was a mild Rogan Josh with coconut vinegar. The vinegar extended the shelf life of the mutton curry for the long hauls. The long hauls may last up to 3 days and nights.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

That sounds like something I would love to have. I like a good rogan josh any way! The best thing though on the Indian Railways is the tomato soup (with masala and croutons), but I digress...
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Not to diss anyone's tastes (save for those of Shroom the Duck Fetus eater), but no love for the Greeks? Avgolemono soup (a Greek Chicken, Lemon and Rice Soup) goes down really well, as does chicken souvlaki and good Backlava. From the Ukraine Perogies and Holopchi and from Poland Kielbasa (Which are big in the Prairie Provinces).

Finally (since it is UK based) Fentimans, by its mere existance, elevates the soft drink industry. On the subject of the UK, they do excellent cheeses.

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2010-11-26 08:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I got love for the Greeks. I get tzatziki sauce on every pita I eat.
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zor wrote:Not to diss anyone's tastes (save for those of Shroom the Duck Fetus eater), but no love for the Greeks? Avgolemono soup (a Greek Chicken, Lemon and Rice Soup) goes down really well, as does chicken souvlaki and good Backlava. From the Ukraine Perogies and Holopchi and from Poland Kielbasa (Which are big in the Prairie Provinces).

Finally (since it is UK based)...
Fentimans, by its mere existance, elevates the soft drink industry. On the subject of the UK, they do excellent cheeses.

Zor
Baklava's Turkish, not Greek.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
sgt67
Redshirt

Post by sgt67 »

Real Mexican never fails to satisfy. A good homemade mole with tortillas is the best, and it pairs nicely with avocados and an Aztec peanut dip called ha sikil pak.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh my... so many good foods, how to pick one?

Indian: Saag Paneer, Chicken Korma, Kheer Matter
Japanese: Rolled Sushi and Nigiri (No Tentacles, tho. Too rubbery)
Chinese: Nothing like a good Lo Mein, but when I want a real treat it's Dragon & Pheonix for me.
Greek: Gyros :) Of course the local store also sells "Lemon Rice Chicken" soup.
Generic MidEastern: Dolmas, Hummus & Pita, Goat cheese in herbed oil....
Italian: stuffed pastas, such as tortelli and the little sacks/bags I forget the name of. I think they're best with beef & mushrooms in a nice marsala sauce.
French: Cheese & onion tarts. French onion soup. Beof Saracen
Brit: Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding :)
Jamacian: Jerk Chicken.

Not much on German food, really, never had Russian or Slavic (that I know of). However, I get exposed to a lot of different Medieval recipes from various cultures in the SCA, so I am very lucky that way.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Thai takes top spot, and i even learned to cook the curry, but i love the Chicken Satay and and peanut butter sauce so good you can spread it on cardboard. :D

Japanese: sushi, barbecue and Tempura

Indian, Particularly Lamb Vindaloo, Rogan Josh, Lamb Saab and Onion Bhaji

Middle Eastern: Shwarma, falafel

Greek: Anything, but particularly Gyros and dolmas

not a huge chinese food fan though, it tastes a bit greasy to me no matter where I go.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Thanas wrote:I have yet to find a foreign dish I did not like.
That.

I love all asian foods, from Sushi to Thai, from Chinese to Vietnamese spring rolls, from Asian fusion noodle to Sashimi.
Also everything from pizza & pastas to New York Steak, Hamburgers to mango chutney...

Damn, I really feel like some sushi now :P. (Or Sumla Kari Kambodi = bright green spicy noodles with pork and shrimp)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Lady T: Kheer Matter?

I made some Tom Kha soup the other day, with mushrooms. And threw in a crumbled block of instant noodles (without the flavouring) when it began to boil. Turn out really good, if I may say so myself! I like a lot of Thai food, but that's partly because it is very similar to the food where I come from - turmeric, coconut milk, ginger, garlic and quite often with seafood in it.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Tahdig- possibly after coffee and beer the best thing to come out of north africa / the middle east. Baklava and dancers used to be on the list but now I;m diabetic and things don't work as well anymore...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

lol I just recalled the week the restaurant sold the most vile cabbage soup ever....

turns out one of our former executive chefs had just started dating a young lady from Russia and kept failing to make Borch repeatably and spectacularly.

still I'm open to most anything since I actually like african bug meals, squid japanese style, etc.

too bad those rather unusual american "Frontier Dishes" aren't allowed, since I actually like Squirrel, Venison, Raccoon, snake (sorry to our resident heptoligist), etc.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I like curry in just about any form I've tried. I grew up eating currywurst, one of my absolute favourite foods was the butter chicken at an Indian restaurant in Tempe, and I make myself a big pot of Japanese curry every couple of months.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I like curry in just about any form I've tried. I grew up eating currywurst, one of my absolute favourite foods was the butter chicken at an Indian restaurant in Tempe, and I make myself a big pot of Japanese curry every couple of months.
Man, for the about 6 days that we spent in Germany at the end of our Europe trip my wife and I must have put back on all the weight that we'd lost during the rest of the trip.

Pro-tip. Christmas markets are not made for weightloss. Goulash in a breadpot with garlic fried baby potatos. Potato dumplings and applesauce. Currywurst and bratwursts in general. Sweet roast almonds. And so much more.

The one in Koln was particularly good, it being outside the Deutsches Romanisches Museum (sorry for the appalling spelling Germanics) made it even better.