Fantastic abandoned places of the world.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Fantastic abandoned places of the world.

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Found this site in a random google search and some of the pics are rather haunting.
Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse in Jutland Denmark

Maunsell Army Sea Forts

NRL Satellite Facility
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Re: Fantastic abandoned places of the world.

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

I knew about the Sea Forts before, but wow...

A lot of these places look awesome. I threw on some 007 soundtracks as soon as I got to the abandoned soviet submarine base. It's a shame so many of these look like places where you can't get to/can't legally get to.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I think you could visit that satellite facility in Fallout 3 ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

PeZook wrote:I think you could visit that satellite facility in Fallout 3 ;)
You mean the eighty-seven identical facilities within 10m walk of central Washington? :D

Does it have Metro 2? :)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I've been to some places, but not to others. Sadly, the Balaklava submarine base is not on the list here, but it is a magnificent place.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Awesome find.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

A list of abandoned places with no mention of Pripyat? That must be the single biggest example of abandoned places, a whole damn city, everyone just up and moved because of Chernobyl.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I imagine that would be due to nobody wanting to visit?
XXXI
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Phantasee wrote:I imagine that would be due to nobody wanting to visit?
That's not true. People do visit it. I think they even offer tours. As long as you're careful and stay outdoors, it's safe enough for a few hours.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Not true. A lot of people want to visit, and many are allowed in.

EDIT: Oh, RedImperator beat me. It's actually much safer than he says, though: background radiation levels are pretty much normal. You shouldn't dig around in the soil or approach discarded vehicles (since you don't know where they've been ; if they drove around the plant itself, they're probably contaminated by dust et al)

Plants and animals thrive in the excluded zone, after all.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Stas Bush wrote:I've been to some places, but not to others. Sadly, the Balaklava submarine base is not on the list here, but it is a magnificent place.
Actually, if you scroll down past the first 8, there are more, and the first is Balaklava.
XXXI
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Nifty that Cincinatti's subway rates a mention; go local interest! :D

I am irresistably fascinated by abandoned things and places, Ohio's chock full of urban and industrial decay for the morbidly inclined.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Detroit is good for that, but it can be incredibly dangerous for a variety of reasons.
LittleLostRobot
Redshirt

Post by LittleLostRobot »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Found this site in a random google search and some of the pics are rather haunting.
Maunsell Army Sea Forts
I like this one the best, but my favorite place in the world would be Pripyat, in Ukraine. I think it's the feel of the place, which is abandoned and the similarity to the Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R levels. I have a ton of pics from abandoned places and I might post a select few of them here. So here's one (with more to come)

Pripyat, Ukraine Pic 1: Spoiler
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

WV has thousands of 'lost' towns: lumber or coal towns that died when the Company moved out. Most of them are buried and forgotten under forest and brush, with only concrete steps, stone foundations, or perhaps a graveyard of tumbled headstones to remember them by.

Others have become tourist destinations for hiking/biking: Lost Towns of New River Gorge, WV. The Kaymoor Mine Tipple is still standing, as well as the haulage rail that runs up the mountainside to the mine. Neither is safe for use, and it's been a debate over how much preservation should be done to keep the Tipple standing. Only Thurmond still has full-time residents, and those 7 manage to keep the town running and incorporated via Tourism.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Frank Hipper wrote:Nifty that Cincinatti's subway rates a mention; go local interest! :D

I am irresistably fascinated by abandoned things and places, Ohio's chock full of urban and industrial decay for the morbidly inclined.
Oh please tell me. :)

I live in Lake county, Ohio and I'd love to see abandoned places (once I have the money and vehicle I want to explore some of the areas.) ever since seeing Silent Hill.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

RedImperator wrote:
That's not true. People do visit it. I think they even offer tours. As long as you're careful and stay outdoors, it's safe enough for a few hours.
In fact, they've seen an uptick in interest thanks to the Stalker games, apparently. If I recall correctly, some Ukrainians find exclusion zone tourism to be in remarkably bad taste, however.
Truth fears no trial.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The abandoned Lopatino Phosphate Mines. Located close to the Voskresensk city (70 km from Moscow), the area is still famous for its fossil beds (and even dinosaur skeletons) from the Jurassic period
This place is infamous among Russian stalkers. The people posted maps how to get there on the internet, which led to idiots going there and falling off the crane to their death. This made the company management disassemble the huge excavators and the place is gone now. So now a strict silence regime surrounds most abandoned objects.

Abkhazia didn't make it into the list (it's a part of the resort zone, meant to be a paradise for people, but turned into a hell because the USSR collapsed and Georgia became a civil war battleground). Excellent photos:
http://majort.livejournal.com/873499.html#cutid1
http://majort.livejournal.com/875138.html#cutid1
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Hashima Island in Japan.
I'd love to visit that place - it just looks like something that was used by a Bond villain and then left abandoned after Bond killed him.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Twigler wrote:Hashima Island in Japan.
I'd love to visit that place - it just looks like something that was used by a Bond villain and then left abandoned after Bond killed him.
Mang, the most densely populated place on Earth at its height. 13,000 people on an island on just a few Km of space, only the Japanese could pull something like that off.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

The WebUrbanist posts collections of abandoned places regularly too. They post their sources if possible, so you can get more material. Happy exploring :)
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Twigler wrote:Hashima Island in Japan.
Beautiful and creepy at the same time. Looking at all those pictures, the only thing I could think was how fucking awesome it would be as the setting for a Half-Life 2 style shooter against post-apocalyptic stormtroopers. The place is a hive.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

Bodie, Ca

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Enigma wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:Nifty that Cincinatti's subway rates a mention; go local interest! :D

Oh please tell me. :)

I live in Lake county, Ohio and I'd love to see abandoned places (once I have the money and vehicle I want to explore some of the areas.) ever since seeing Silent Hill.
You could certainly do worse than starting here.

He hasn't updated in a while, but I dig his "yeah, right" attitude to supposedly haunted sites, his research, his sheer testicular fortitude in exploring these places, and extensive coverage of the state, not to mention his warning people away from risky places to explore.

Honestly, you're bound to find potential exploration fun if you take a car, and point it down any number of back-country roads in Ohio, and follow it for a couple hours.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
LittleLostRobot
Redshirt

Post by LittleLostRobot »

San Zhi UFO houses:
Wikipedia wrote:The UFO houses were constructed beginning in 1978. They were intended as a vacation resort in a part of the northern coast adjacent to Danshui, and were marketed towards U.S. military officers coming from their East Asian postings. However, the project was abandoned in 1980 due to investment losses and several car accident deaths during construction, which is said to have been caused by the unfortuitous act of bisecting the Chinese dragon sculpture located near the resort gates for widening the road to the buildings. Other stories indicated that the site was the former burial ground for Dutch soldiers.
Not just your average abandoned site, but with some alleged supernatural elements makes this site a favorite for me. I just thought of it, so that's why it gets second mention to Pripyat.