Whats your ethnic background?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Re: Whats your ethnic background?

Post by CarsonPalmer »

On my mother's side, I'm Irish (and as far as I can trace it, on my grandfather's side from Galway and my grandmother's side from County Derry), and on my father's side, I'm Italian (Southern Italy on both sides).
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

1/4 Dutch, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Scotch-Irish(I think, there may be something else mixed in there), and 1/4 other stuff. I don't think I've ever heard a definitive answer on the various ancestors on my mom's-mom's side.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

Entirely British - I know that my mother's paternal line is pretty pure English (family tree), her maternal line is scandinavian (did a DNA test a few years ago), my father's mother was Scottish with an Irish surname, his father was Welsh, so...yeah. British :)
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

There's all sorts of stuff going on here; lets just go with "European"
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Full German on my paternal grandmother's side; I don't know about my paternal grandfather, although I would wager mostly British of some sort due to my name. A mix of English and French on my mother's side, probably with a great deal more English than French.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Korean everywhere. Depressingly normal as far as I know. I hope somewhere in my distant past there was a Japanese, Chinese, Mongol or Manchurian ancestor.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

My dad's dad's family is Scottish, my dad's mum's family was Italian, my mother's family was Irish.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Poecilia reticulata on one side of the family, Selachimorpha on the other.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Father's side: Han Chinese (Fujianese Teochew transplanted to the Taipei area), probably some bits of Plains Aborigines.

Mother's side: Probably a mix of Han (again, probably Fujianese Teochew), Manchu and probably a bit of Malay on my maternal grandmother's side.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Austrian on my father's side, Siberian on my Mother's.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

Unknown. My family was a mix of Scots and Germans, but I was adopted and I've never had the files opened to check. I've had people remark that I appear either Spanish or Portuguese. There is "circumstantial" evidence of a Jewish background, but I was born in the early '70s where snipping was done quite commonly across the board.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

An old friend is of the Moran family (well, okay, *a* Moran family) from Ireland - he's worked out that some time around the turn of the 15th-16th century his ancestors apparently emigrated from Spain, and he suspects that Moran is from marranos, which is to say Jewish Christian converts.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

1/4 spanish (well, one of my ancestors led the visigoths during the conquest of Toledo - but I don't think that it matters that much genetically by now)
1/4 german (considering the location, probably slavic and not germanic ancestors) from what is now Poland
1/4 german (frisian) from what is now the Netherlands
1/4 gypsi from what is now the Czech Republic

All but my spanish grandfather came to Hamburg sometime around WW2, he came when the Franko dictatorship became unbearable and the post war german "Wirtschaftswunder" made Germany very attractive.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

German on my dad's side--the first of the family arrived in North America in the 1720s or so. Italian on my mom's--came over from Abruzzo sometime around 1921.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm a northern european, but my family has been in north america for about 350 years.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

1/8th uncertain European, 1/8th Polish, and 3/4ths German (with the earliest known birth in the western hemisphere around 1690).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

German descent on my father's side. His mother's family came from somewhere close to Poland, while his dad's came from the southwest, maybe around the Black Forest area. Don't know too many specifics. My mother was born in Costa Rica. Testing with the human genographic project indicates that my maternal line is native to Central America, (I don't have any of the reference materials with me for details), and her father's y-chromosome is Mediterranean in origin, though difficult to pin down from where exactly. Calvos came from Spain to Central America early on, but there were various adoptions in the family history, so we don't really know exact origins for a lot of family members.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

English(Last name means either Tall one (fits well) or long ridge in Devon), German, Polish, Serbian, French, and a pinch of other slavics that I don't know. I just call myself everything from the border of Spain to Russia.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Haitian on the Mum's side and St. Lucian on the Pop's.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Jewish on both sides.
German, Romanian mainly, with 1/8 bulgarian, hungarian, polish bits. My great grandparents lives on the borders of eastern europe before immigrating.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Polish/Italian/German, possibly some Irish mixed in.
JADAFETWA
Grog
Padawan Learner

Post by Grog »

My fathers mother was a jew from Gdańsk. All other of my grandparents where swedish.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Korean.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

As far as I can determine I'm pure 100% Finnish, although some distant relatives have emigrated over time and there are some very distant foreign ancestors in the extended family tree (that in my case stretches several hundred years back in time). So far as I know my family has also always been Finnish-speaking.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Parents are both finnish-swedish, I think if you go back far enough there are finns, swedes and norweigans mixed in here and there.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.