OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

First trailer for BBC's modern-day Sherlock Holmes

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb

Please note: may not work outside of the Bedraggled Isles

Looks like its showing some promise (admittedly not much has been seen so far) Looks like Watson is keeping his Afghan injury, no real surprise there, me thinks. Holmes is as snarky as ever, the bastard :)
Last edited by Dartzap on 2010-07-17 07:27am, edited 1 time in total.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: First trailer for BBC's modern-day Sherlock Holmes

Post by weemadando »

Barely audible version here:

And speaking of things that had promise: WHY IS THERE NO MORE JEKYLL?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

And speaking of things that had promise: WHY IS THERE NO MORE JEKYLL?
Because allowing James Nesbit to appear on any show that has promise is technically a crime.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Not the first time Holmes has been updated to contemporary times, as Basil Rathbone demonstrated.

Depending on how it's handled, it could work. Don't know the actors involved, but the look of the characters is interesting. Just on the right side of eccentric, clothing-wise, but subtle. Just might check out an episode or two when it comes to BBC America.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patrick Degan wrote:Not the first time Holmes has been updated to contemporary times, as Basil Rathbone demonstrated.
*coughs*

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, That brings back memories.

That said, it just seems a bit odd to me to have Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting. In the Victorian Settings, its a bit easier to buy that one guy has an knack for forensics being able to find things out before the Police did than it is in modern. This is probably only a nitpick and not a dealbreaker, but i just wanted to throw out my thought on the matter.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Well, wasn't Holmes basically a freelance consultant? I do agree that likely there would be attempts to get him to sign on a full-time basis, but it could work.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Sherlock Holmes has already been effectively modernized in the recent movie starring Robert Downey Jnr. as the private eye despite firmly staying in the mid to late 19th century London.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Oh thats allright then! Only 150 years difference :P From the few other snippets that been shown, it seems to be quite a good way of booting up a modern series - its going from the very obvious starting point, after all..

In the new tradition of such shows, some websites have appeared from the various characters...

By the by Orange, you might want to diversify your college course studies away from media studies :wink:

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Big Orange wrote:Sherlock Holmes has already been effectively modernized in the recent movie starring Robert Downey Jnr. as the private eye despite firmly staying in the mid to late 19th century London.
. . . I don't believe you're using the same definition of "modernized" as everyone else.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Inconceivable!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

This is one very good show. Great way of bringing him into the present day.

"I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket!" :o
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I was definitely entertained. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

That was good, worked out who it was as soon as the cab pulled up. But that wasn't really the puzzle after all, was it?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I meant the recent movie "modernized" Sherlock in the sense of writing and directing style, that's all.

The new Sherlock series, actually set in the present day, sounds interesting and I've got the first episode rearing to go on the I-Player, while catching it properly on TV next week. On a related note has anybody caught the new hit series MisFits that's been doing its rounds this year over on Channel 4 and E4?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Big Orange wrote:I meant the recent movie "modernized" Sherlock in the sense of writing and directing style, that's all.

The new Sherlock series, actually set in the present day, sounds interesting and I've got the first episode rearing to go on the I-Player, while catching it properly on TV next week. On a related note has anybody caught the new hit series MisFits that's been doing its rounds this year over on Channel 4 and E4?
Well by that peculiar definition pretty much every film/tv version of Holmes, no matter how faithful to the books, has 'modernised' Holmes as they've pretty much all been clear products of the time they were made in.

Anyway Holmes' baffling decision to look at the passenger not the cabbie aside I thought this was a really rather good updating of Holmes. Liked the the way in that whoever it was who played Holmes actually has the ability to come across as someone with a great intellect, a fundamentally important step a surprising number of adaptations seem to ignore.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Benedict Cumberbatch is always playing these types of role. Check The Last Enemy for instance.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Saw it last night. Brilliant! I loved it :D Loved it to death.

I don't like the actors for Sherlock or Watson that much, Sherlock's actor doesn't compare to Downey in my opinion :D.

The script is lovely, Moffat at his metavisuals loving best :D. Spoiler
I totally called the identity of the "Interested party", but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen spoiled me on that point I think :D
Am I the only one who was expecting Sherlock to quote "Princess bride" and "They're both obviously poisoned, and you take the antidote!"?
It seemed incredibly obvious to me as a tactic.
I hope they make this series nice and long :D (Meaning another season after this initial one. It's only 3 episodes right?)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well fuck me, that was brilliant. I was expecting good, but that far exceeded my expectations.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Although what is interesting is that the climax of the film isn't when Holmes figured out who is the killer.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

AARGH! Cliffhangers, and with such a kooky, slightly camp seeming Moriarty too. I'm hoping the next season will be longer after this pilot one.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Moriarty was annoying and disappointing. I suppose they wanted to contrast him with Holmes, but but making him whiny and irritating probably wasn't the way to go.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

"Is that a British army Browning L9A1 in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"
"Both, actually"

Ah, let the shipping begin.

Loved it. Hope they hurry up and make more. Beautifully adapted by Moffet, captivatingly acted by all, and horrendously teased by the BBC.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

I just wish the beeb would make these series a bit longer. Three episodes is a bit short, even for them.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Twigler wrote:I just wish the beeb would make these series a bit longer. Three episodes is a bit short, even for them.
To be fair, each episode is 90 minutes long, so in reality you end up with 4 & 1/2 hour long episodes, which is nearly typical for a BBC drama series.