FIFA World Cup Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crown
NARF

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Crown »

Havok wrote:I dunno, maybe it is my racist, backwards, super conservative, small minded, American way of thinking, but that would be like the losers of the AFC and NFC Championships having a game... like a losers Superbowl. Or the pennant losers playing another World Series before the actual World Series... who cares?
It's there for the TV money and revenue, much like the NBA 7 game play offs! :P
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
nightwyrm
Redshirt

Post by nightwyrm »

Havok wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:
Havok wrote: I dunno, maybe it is my racist, backwards, super conservative, small minded, American way of thinking, but that would be like the losers of the AFC and NFC Championships having a game... like a losers Superbowl. Or the pennant losers playing another World Series before the actual World Series... who cares?
Or like a 3rd place match in Olympic hockey...oh wait..
Olympics give out THREE medals... oh wait.
I'm pretty sure the WC gives out 2nd and 3rd place medals too. Lots of international tournaments give medals to the top 3, mostly coz more games = more viewers and more money.

Oh interesting fact, there used to be a losers Superbowl too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Yeah, congratulations to Spain. Still a bummer, but on the other hand, the German team is very, very young, and they're only playing together for 1 1/2 months. IMO we've been a bit too scared in the first halftime. Too many mistakes and well, simply no luck when trying to catch up after the Spanish goal.

Germany played great so far, and we've been beaten by what is clearly the better team.

I really hope Spain gets it's first star now.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Congratulations to spain.

I hoped for a fast and exciting game, but the way the Spanish played was like the old German way. Efficient, but boring.

Oh, and Thanas... :mrgreen:
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

LaCroix wrote:I hoped for a fast and exciting game, but the way the Spanish played was like the old German way. Efficient, but boring.
Haha, yeah.

But kudos to Spain for being patient, lying in waiting for their chance and then just scoring in cold blood.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

LaCroix wrote:Congratulations to spain.

I hoped for a fast and exciting game, but the way the Spanish played was like the old German way. Efficient, but boring.

Oh, and Thanas... :mrgreen:
Ummm ... you do realise that what you witnessed was due to Germany playing 5-3-1-1 when they didn't have possession right?

Man this is infuriating! I'll say it again; the reason Spanish games look 'boring' is because the other team is so shit scared of them they sit back and defend the fuck out of the game. The Swiss did it (and got a freaky goal), Portugal did it, Paraguay did it, and now Germany did it!

Although fair play to Germany for coming out for the last 15mins after conceding, because what usually happens is Spain play a nice game of 'keep ball' essentially giving the other team a nice big 'fuck you' after Spain have just broken them down. At least, Germany tried to get something out of the game.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Crown wrote: Man this is infuriating! I'll say it again; the reason Spanish games look 'boring' is because the other team is so shit scared of them they sit back and defend the fuck out of the game.
As I said. They play so efficient that it becomes boring.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

LaCroix wrote:
Crown wrote: Man this is infuriating! I'll say it again; the reason Spanish games look 'boring' is because the other team is so shit scared of them they sit back and defend the fuck out of the game.
As I said. They play so efficient that it becomes boring.
I'm gonna go with English is your second language and move on ... :wink:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No, his option is valid. The game was not as exciting as past games due to the spanish skill.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:No, his option is valid. The game was not as exciting as past games due to the spanish skill.
:lol:

I need a roll on the floor emoticon ... point taken.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, I know it sounds hilarious.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:Congratulations to spain and we'll see each other again in four years.
2 years bud; Euros :wink:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:
Thanas wrote:Congratulations to spain and we'll see each other again in four years.
2 years bud; Euros :wink:
Euros don't count. We need the big one. It is about time, too.
------------
------------
My LPs
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

Anyone seriously betting on Netherlands after what we saw today? Netherlands seemed to have enough trouble with Uruguay. Surely they will have to play the football of their lives to have a shot?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

nightwyrm wrote:
Havok wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:Or like a 3rd place match in Olympic hockey...oh wait..
Olympics give out THREE medals... oh wait.
I'm pretty sure the WC gives out 2nd and 3rd place medals too. Lots of international tournaments give medals to the top 3, mostly coz more games = more viewers and more money.

Oh interesting fact, there used to be a losers Superbowl too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl
Oh no, you sure showed me with that game that the NFL stopped playing 40 years ago. :roll:

Considering that all these players will be going back to the teams that they actually make money playing for, the idea of playing a 'losers game' just so FIFA can make some dough is idiotic the risk of injury alone makes it a stupid idea.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
nightwyrm
Redshirt

Post by nightwyrm »

Havok wrote: Oh no, you sure showed me with that game that the NFL stopped playing 40 years ago. :roll:

Considering that all these players will be going back to the teams that they actually make money playing for, the idea of playing a 'losers game' just so FIFA can make some dough is idiotic the risk of injury alone makes it a stupid idea.
They stopped playing because of a perceived lack of interest and thus was a commercial decision, not due to any inherent lack of merit in determining a 3rd place. This is not going to be the case for the WC (or any big international tournament for that matter). They are going to have an audience. You're also comparing a situation where you can watch your team play a bunch of games every year to a tournament where every four years (if you're lucky) you can watch your team play 3-7 games.

As for the player willingness, 3rd place matches will often involve players who are normally on the bench. It's an opportunity for players to showcase themselves. The more matches you play and possibly contribute, the more notice you'll get for your pro life. Besides, it's not as if it's the player's decision whether to have a 3rd place match.

In any case, as I mention before, lots of sport tournaments have 3rd place matches. Even Wimbledon has them.
Last edited by nightwyrm on 2010-07-07 06:43pm, edited 5 times in total.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Modax wrote:Anyone seriously betting on Netherlands after what we saw today? Netherlands seemed to have enough trouble with Uruguay. Surely they will have to play the football of their lives to have a shot?

Or simply this is the WC in which the underdogs have a chance? Between Spain and Netherlands, I'll side with the Netherlands. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

I think the only way Spain can lose now is if they fuck up somehow. But I could be wrong about that. And they certainly could fuck up.
Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

Finally there will be a new World Cup winner!

Best spanish match in this WC and worst german. Why Löw decided to play so defensive against them, I can't understand. I would have liked for Germany to play more offensive, more goals on both sides. Germany practically gave them the midfield I didn't really saw them fighting to dominate it. At least I'm glad that it was a fair game and not too one-sided in goals (not possession), like 3-0 or something like that.
The guys that seriously think that Spain plays boring football need go get a clue.
I'm hoping for a spanish victory on sunday, but I'm really scared. Against Paraguay they played their worst match in a long time, and now their best in this championship. I think this depends more on how Spain will play than what NL does. They played more or less the same during the WC. If they play against a weak Spain, they'll win. If Spain plays like today NL will lose.

Let's see what Paul the octopus says.
"Who controls the past controls the future who controls the present controls the past" - George Orwell - 1984

"One must always make an argument that is convincing, but never necessarily satisfying (or, in most cases, even logical)." - Axis Kast
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Too bad for Die Mannschaft, I was rooting for 'em and it coulda gone either way but the truth is that Spain was just plain better. They won deservedly, and now whoever gets to win on Sunday will be a first timer to the position of World Champion... Which itself is interesting.

Of course I'll be rooting for the Netherlands, but frankly if I look at how the Spanish played this match they'll hand us our asses. Then again, that's what I thought after the Germans beat Argentina when the Spanish seemed to have trouble with the Paraguayans as well. So I guess it'll boil down to who's in shape and who isn't, and if the Dutch manage to close down the ridiculous Spanish pass-the-ball-around-the-field-at-high-speed plays we might have a chance.

Either way I can't wait 'till Sunday!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Thanas wrote:
J wrote:See what happens when you doubt the Octopus?
Excuse me while I go and finish my calamaris.
You do realize that calamari refers to squid, right?
And it was an octopus which predicted the German loss, ja?

Silly Germans... :P
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

J wrote:
Thanas wrote:
J wrote:See what happens when you doubt the Octopus?
You do realize that calamari refers to squid, right?
And it was an octopus which predicted the German loss, ja?

Silly Germans... :P
Not in German fried food, where you can also get fried octopus.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

As I said would happen, Spain won (and rather easily), Germany could do nothing against them, only really had one real chance in the game, they were simply outplayed all over the pitch.

In a few years, Germany may be better, we'll see.

The second half was very good, tense and strategic, once Spain had their goal, as I expected Germany had to chase the game, which gave Spain even more chances.

I still think Netherlands will take the title, they have yet to lose in this WC (including qualifying), and are a robust team with good creativity, as long as Robben isn't so greedy when a pass for an easy goal is presented, I think they can win.

It's been a good month of football though, I have seen almost every match, lots of ups and downs, shocks and surprises.

At least a new team name will be etched onto the world cup :)

Onto the final!
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Thanas wrote:
Wow, I should start doing this prediction thing, that's exactly what I said to my colleagues what would happen to the poor Octopus. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry to see the Germans go, they've been a very good team and I hope they get a warm welcome back home. They deserve it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Twigler wrote:
Thanas wrote:
I'm sorry to see the Germans go, they've been a very good team and I hope they get a warm welcome back home. They deserve it.
There won't be a welcome home celebration. Mabye at the airport or a short celebration, but no huge party. They lost, after all.
------------
------------
My LPs