FIFA World Cup Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Patrick Degan »

Coyote wrote:My God, or maybe I should say, Mein Gott, that was brutal. Argentina-- totally shell-shocked. That last German goal at 88 minutes had me asking, "why not just put out cigarettes in their flesh while you're at it?" I expected more of a fight from the Argentinians.

And Angela Merkel with that shit-eating grin on her face-- hee!

But still.... YAY DEUTSCHLAND!
Indeed. Just got finished watching that match on ESPN3.com. The Germans were in complete control of the game. They dictated the pace of play, they kept the Argies at bay, and the second half... well, Argentina didn't quite come apart at the seams but you could see the steam venting out of them after that third goal. That fourth goal was simply bayoneting the survivors at that point. The whole match was just lovely to watch.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Have a hit son! :shock:

That just flew into the top left corner, beautiful!

EDIT :: Forlaaaaaaaan! :shock:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Besides the two excellent goals, the game is rather boring so far. The two teams are very defensively minded, not much action.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:Besides the two excellent goals, the game is rather boring so far. The two teams are very defensively minded, not much action.
I agree. Going to watch the second half at the Gym on the treadmill, might as well get some exercise in!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Olli Kahn is hilarious ribbing on the goalies. He is all but saying a decent goalie should have had both shots.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Uruguay is slowly turning into the better team here.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And that is it - Netherlands 3, Uruguay 1.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Which is why they are now losing 3-1? :lol:
GOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh shit 3-2 in stopage time.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

First: congrats to the Netherlands.

Second: Only the last ten minutes were really entertaining. If the Netherlands continue to play like this, they should not win.

Third: Man, did the Netherlands play nasty. The number of fouls alone...and von Bommel is quite the asshole.

Fourth: Let us hope for a rematch of 1974.
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

my TV got stolen so yay me
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So what happened at the end there? I was listening on the radio and all I got was that the ref gave a end game signal, but they didn't actually end the game?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Havok wrote:So what happened at the end there? I was listening on the radio and all I got was that the ref gave a end game signal, but they didn't actually end the game?
He stopped the game a bunch of times for free kicks, then someone got carded, then more free kicks, then finally, finally, the game ended after nearly 5 minutes of extra time.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Anyone know why van Bommel was carded in the end? ESPN doesn't seem to know either.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Anyone know why van Bommel was carded in the end? ESPN doesn't seem to know either.
Being van Bommel, he probably deserved it. :lol:
------------
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Anyone know why van Bommel was carded in the end? ESPN doesn't seem to know either.
I think his hand went to the ball.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

He forgot his baksheesh.
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

Netherlands vs Spain final
Netherlands will win.

Place your bets :P
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Lief wrote:Netherlands vs Spain final
Netherlands will win.

Place your bets :P
I already did place a bet on that pairing at the very start with a score of 2-1 for the Netherlands. But it's not going to happen.

Lock the borders, deploy the police, it's the dreaded Germany vs the Netherlands finale!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

We'll see.
------------
------------
My LPs
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Well my sweepstake pick, Holland, is doing rather well. £s for me. Yay! Actually it would have been nice to see Uruguay get to another final from a nostalgic point of view.

I think the Spanish will win tonight. Unlike Argentina, they are patient enough to work the openings and will not keep losing the ball. I also think they are much better defensively. It's a shame, as a Germany Holland final would be a much better game of football.

I have been known to be wrong though so don't place any money on the basis of this :wink:
What is WRONG with you people
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Spain is IMO still the better team so I am not holding my breath for a Germany victory unless Löw manages to outplan his opponents once again.
------------
------------
My LPs
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

The Octopus seems to agree with that assessment, Thanas:
Oracle Octopus prediction worries Germany.
Euronews wrote:Football-loving Germans have been shocked by the latest prediction of their so-called “oracle octopus” after it picked out Spain to win their World Cup semi-final clash.

The tentacled tipster Paul has an unblemished record on picking the winner as he chooses which food to eat from his tank.

But a Spanish bar owner was surprisingly unimpressed.

“The octopus can eat whatever clam it wants. Spain will win against Germany,” he said.

One of his clients agreed: “You don’t need to be a clam. If you are a Real Madrid fan and if you know a little about football, then you realise that Spain will win.”

In Madrid’s tapas bars, Octopuses are more usually eaten rather than consulted over football fixtures.
But German tourists enjoying the delicacy hope Paul is fallible.

“Well, he was always right up until now but everyone can make a mistake and that is why I am hoping we will win nevertheless,” said one tourist.

Another was more confident.
“I also think that Germany is going to win. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I am already looking forward to the match,” she said.

Footballers are notoriously superstitious, so Germany’s young side might be unsettled, but, knowing the Octopus was born in England, perhaps Paul is just getting his own back.
Gambler
Youngling

Post by Gambler »

Spain has a better lineup, but they have underperformed so far in this tournament. Löw is better than del Bosque, just look how he learned from his players mistakes in the beginning of the tournament and managed to improve the way the German team plays. Now compare it to Spains poor performance (poor for their standards anyway) last game, it looked as if del Bosque made them take a Valium before sending them on the pitch.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

It all depends on one thing: If Spain can successfully interrupt/stop our guys from setting up their game (passing between each other, looking for holes in the Spanish defense, etc) then we are probably fucked. If they give our guys room, then they are probably fucked, especially if we can interrupt their game.

Pretty much what Paraguay did to Spain in the first half - the Spanish guys never got their act together in that half.

Whatever the outcome, this game WILL be very interesting to watch :)