Wimbledon 2010

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Wimbledon 2010

Post by Captain Seafort »

We've got one for the football, here's one for the tennis.

The first round match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut is utterly mindboggling - 2 sets all, 40 games all in the fifth, with no signs of it ending any time soon. :shock: Isner has hit 83 aces.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Wimbledon 2010

Post by Havok »

I was watching this after the US Algeria match... dude... I had no idea tennis matches could go this long. they were saying that it only has like, one time record left to beat.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Havok wrote:I had no idea tennis matches could go this long.
Neither did John McEnroe apparently.
they were saying that it only has like, one time record left to beat.
There's still a record it hasn't taken? Which one's that?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I can't remember now. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

My god, it's still going! 59-58 on serve, it's been going for nearly 10 hours now. :shock:

Make that 59 all.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

aerius wrote:My god, it's still going! 59-58 on serve, it's been going for nearly 10 hours now. :shock:
This one set is already longer than any other complete singles match, in terms of time or games. Isner's closing in on his century. And Mahout's just come back from Match Point down. 59-59

EDIT: And with that bad light stops play.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. A three day tennis match. Awesome.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Havok wrote:Wow. A three day tennis match. Awesome.
Three days so far. They should give the players lunch and tea intervals and rename the games "overs".
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I can't help but feel Mahot, the plucky underdog isn't going to manage this tomorrow. I think his big chance was wearing Isner down but when they both turn up tomorrow fresh faced. Well fresher anyway, Mahot's going to have trouble denting Isner's serve. Even today he wasn't making as much progress as Isner.

Couple that with Isner already having the advantage serving first. (If he breaks he wins, Mahot has to break and hold his serve afterwards.) Yeah, I like Mahot but he's probably not going through.

Does the winner have to go straight into his next match tomorrow? Because that's going to be harsh. Whoever wins, isn't getting through round 2.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Crazedwraith wrote:I can't help but feel Mahot, the plucky underdog isn't going to manage this tomorrow. I think his big chance was wearing Isner down but when they both turn up tomorrow fresh faced. Well fresher anyway, Mahot's going to have trouble denting Isner's serve. Even today he wasn't making as much progress as Isner.
I doubt either of them will be particularly fresh, but if anything Mahot will still have the advantage when they resume - Isner looked like he was asleep on his feet by the end and was relying on his serve to get him out of trouble, while Mahot was still moving around the court pretty freely.
Does the winner have to go straight into his next match tomorrow?
No, which was probably one of the reasons Mahot wanted to call it quits tonight. If the match had ended tonight the winner would have had to play his second round match tomorrow, but since they've gone into a third day the second round match won't start until Friday. I agree that it would be astonishing if the winner got through the second round though - the other bloke will have had a couple of days rest, and only had to play a measly 30 games in his fifth round.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

They had a graphic up at the end of the US telecast, the match set the record for longest (by time) at 5:45 pm locally and was still being played at 9:06. They've beaten the record books to death with this match and both of them have just been going nuts at all the right times though Isner needs to step it up more critically, he's already had 4 match points.

I thought last year's epic between Roddick and Federer couldn't be matched...and in terms of talent it hasn't been. That match was just draw dropping gorgeous and heart rending to watch. This one though, this one may take the cake for most raw guts and determination.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Since I don't know anything about tennis, can someone explain to me how its possible for a match to go this long?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

The fifth set continues until a player has won at least 6 games and is 2 games ahead. If the players keep winning one game each then there is no mechanism by which the match ends (except of course injury or death...).

Any other set will go to a tie break game after 6 games all, so is massively less likely to go on forever.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Isner just won it 70-68 with the official play time at 11 hours and 5 minutes. Both players and the ref got awards and pictures were taken with them at the scoreboard.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Epic? Extraordinary? Incredible? Words don't seem sufficient to describe that match.

And there's yet more drama brewing - Nadal's 2 sets 1 down against Robin Haase.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

I predict that this is the year Federer will not make it to the finals at Wimbledon for the first time since 2003. He is slowly declining and I think this is the year when it all starts, as evidenced by him being knocked out at the Quarterfinal stage at the French Open.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Live blogger loses his marbles covering the match

http://deadspin.com/5571437/wimbledon-l ... nd-madness
9.25pm: Last thoughts before I ring me a hearse. That was beyond tennis. I think it was even beyond survival, because there is a strong suggestion (soon to be confirmed by doctors) that John Isner actually expired at about the 20-20 mark, and Mahut went soon afterwards, and the remainder of the match was contested by Undead Zombies who ate the spectators during the change of ends (again, this is pending a police investigation).

Still, if you're going to watch a pair of zombies go at each other for eleventy-billion hours, far into the night, it might as well be these zombies.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
septesix
Padawan Learner

Post by septesix »

And just like that , Isner is out. But this Wimbledon is already defined by this match though, unless we see another great epic in the final with Federer and Nadal..
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

septesix wrote:And just like that , Isner is out. But this Wimbledon is already defined by this match though, unless we see another great epic in the final with Federer and Nadal..
Honestly the Roddick-Federer finale last year was more epic, more heartbreaking, more impactful, and just plain ol' MORE than any of the Nadal-Federer matches...anyway now I'm left trying to figure out a way to see the Henin-Clijster's match since I always enjoyed Henin's playstyle and prefer her as an alternative to the Williams sisters.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

CmdrWilkens wrote:...anyway now I'm left trying to figure out a way to see the Henin-Clijster's match since I always enjoyed Henin's playstyle and prefer her as an alternative to the Williams sisters.
That's for sure, I find the "power tennis" style of the Williams sisters, Sharapova and a lot of the current top women to be pretty boring. One of my favourite matches was when Martina Hingis clowned one of the Williams sisters at the US Open back in the late 90's, Hingis dangled her all over the court with drop shots, off speed hits, and even a moon ball or two, then pretended to take a swipe at a ball that Williams had hit that was out. It was beautiful.

Henin-Clijster will likely be the match of the tournament on the womens' side. Definitely looking forward to it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Mlenk wrote:I predict that this is the year Federer will not make it to the finals at Wimbledon for the first time since 2003. He is slowly declining and I think this is the year when it all starts, as evidenced by him being knocked out at the Quarterfinal stage at the French Open.
And your prediction would be right. Federer just got knocked out in the quater finales.