Legality of selling ammunition live or not in the U.S.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Legality of selling ammunition live or not in the U.S.

Post by Enigma »

My wife's late grandfather served in the airforce during WW2 and either during that time or after collected ammo either live or deactivated or just parts of them. Either these were from the time he served or from collecting as some are from the WW1 era if not before.

The type of ammo he collected are 1943 20mm MK2 (British AA bullet, deactivated), F A 5 11 (apparently a 30-06 M1905 dummy bullet),

Shell casings:
(3)S L 45 (large shell, used by hvy machineguns or aircraft guns?)
(2) U.S.C.CO 18 (30-06 AP )
U.S.C.CO 17 (30-06 AP)
Western 1918 shell casing (another 30-06)
REM-UMC 25-20
T W 45
GB1943 VII
DM 42
S(up arrow) 30 44 1??

Live:
(11) T W 45 (clipped together. Used onboard fighter planes?)
L C 43 (50cal black tip)
(3) F A 5 07 (30-06?)
(4)W.R.A.CO 45-90 W.C.F (Winchester Center Fire)
R F 4 81 (looked like someone was chewing on the tip of the bullet.)
Peters .30 U.S.G.
(2) R A 18
F 5 89
R F 6 80
U.M.C. S H 40-60
REM-UMC 32 WCF (hollow point)
(4) U.M.C. .303 SPA CO
REM-UMC 8 M/M
(2) R A 17
SUPER-X 30-40 KRAG
U (.45?)
WRA Co 455 Colt
REM-UMC 38-55
P.C.CO 18
Peters 38-40
US (small bullet with damaged tip)
S L 43 (Red tip)
P.C.CO 8
? A.Co 22 S.H-P
REM-UMC 25-20
Peters 351 S.L.
there is an assorted small bullets but I'll post pics of those later

Is it legal to sell them within the U.S.? What are they worth?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Re: Legality of selling ammunition live or not in the U.S.

Post by Count Chocula »

Anything under 20mm, in Ohio, you're just fine peachy A-OK. The 20mm, if DEWAT (deactivated), are curios and not subject to BATFE regs IIRC. But you may need a letter to that effect.

Your best bet: take the list to a local FFL holder, preferably one with a storefront and reloading setup. They will know the regs better than you or I, and may make an offer on the ammo that's competitive with private sales, given the sheer variety of the loads you have and the PITA factor of unloading it to multiple private parties through classified ads and gun shows.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Benedick-Arnold
Redshirt

Re: Legality of selling ammunition live or not in the U.S.

Post by Benedick-Arnold »

I'd advise to put them up for sale in individual auctions on Gunbroker.com under the Ammunition/Collectible section. Start with $1 each (no reserve) and let the market determine the value. Then make sure to "plug" your auctions in the Forum section of their site. Gunbroker is the biggest, best and most well-respected site for that sort of thing. And don't be afraid to let the market dictate the value, you will get more than fair value as long as you take into account your true shipping costs.