Actress Brittany Murphy dead at age 32

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Actress Brittany Murphy dead at age 32

Post by Enigma »

Article
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Brittany Murphy died on Sunday morning, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office has confirmed to Access Hollywood. She was 32.

According to the Coroner's Office, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Hollywood reported to them that an individual named Brittany Murphy died in the hospital on Sunday.

A Cedars-Sinai spokesperson also confirmed to Access that the star was pronounced dead at their facility at 10:04 AM.

A Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman told Access that they responded to a 911 call made from the 1800 block of N. Rising Glen Road -- the same street where the actress lives -- at 8 AM on Sunday.

A rep for the actress also confirmed the news, telling Access Hollywood, "In this time of sadness, the family thanks you for your love and support. It is their wish that you respect their privacy."

Just weeks ago, a smiling Brittany spoke with Access at the Tt Collection Pop-Up Party in LA on December 3, where she discussed her hopes for the coming year.

"As far as having a New Year's resolution, I'd love to have a child next year," she said at the time. "But that's kind of a large one!"

The actress also spoke of her love for her family, whom she said she was very close to.

"I've been very blessed to have a really great loving husband," she said. "I spend more time with my family than anyone else in the world"

Brittany rose to fame after a memorable role in 1995's "Clueless." She went on to star in such films as "8 Mile," "Just Married," "Girl, Interrupted," "Sin City" and "Riding In Cars With Boys," among others.

She also made a splash in the music world with the track "Faster Kill Pussycat," with Paul Oakenfold in 2006 - the track topped the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play Chart that year. She also sang a pair of songs for the animated film "Happy Feet," in which she was also a voice actress.

Brittany was married to screenwriter Simon Monjack, whom she wed in May 2007.
I'm very surprised. But I'm guessing she OD'd?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: Actress Brittany Murphy dead at age 32

Post by Bounty »

BBC just says she died of "cardiac arrest". No word on the cause. 32 is way too young for anyone to die.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Unfortunate. For fans of King of the Hill, she was the voice of Luanne Platter.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Bounty wrote:BBC just says she died of "cardiac arrest". No word on the cause. 32 is way too young for anyone to die.
Its incredibly unlikely for a 32-year-old to die of cardiac arrest without drugs involved.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Bounty wrote:BBC just says she died of "cardiac arrest". No word on the cause. 32 is way too young for anyone to die.
Its incredibly unlikely for a 32-year-old to die of cardiac arrest without drugs involved.
Unless there was an unknown pre-existing condition. But at this point it's pure speculation.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well this is in the AP report:
Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said Murphy apparently collapsed in the bathroom, and authorities were looking into her medical history.

An official cause of death may not be determined for some time, since toxicology tests will be required, but "it appears to be natural," Winter said. He said an autopsy was planned for Monday or Tuesday.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Not as much as you might think. There are congenital conditions that can cause fatal heart arrhythmia at any age. They can easily be missed in routine physical exams unless the heart is being looked at very closely. So it's possible she dropped dead at 32 with no drugs involved.

Until the toxicology tests come back, though, it's all speculation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Yes young people do die like that on occasion, although I don't know the statistics I doubt it's that rare. But unless they are famous they wont get any coverage in the news. Had a friend of mine who was 23 years old, he was sitting around drinking a beer and watching TV with some other guys, suddenly he says he's feeling dizzy, he stands up then he falls down, turns blue and is dead before the ambulance ever got there.

Not saying she didn't OD.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

BBC wrote:Coroners said that Murphy, who was pronounced dead in hospital, appeared to have died of natural causes.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Rumors of heavy cocaine use have been swirling around Murphy for quite some time now. She has repeatedly denied those rumors, however I imagine her death will only fuel that speculation.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This is a shame. She was a pretty good actress.

I refuse to speculate on cause of death. Unlike alot of other 'rumoured' druggies, there was no 'tabloid' evidence to support rumours.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

There's always anorexia or bulimia. That can weaken people to the point that they have heart attacks. (Note: I don't know anything about this actress so I wouldn't know if this was a possibility or not). Drug use past or present of course wouldn't have helped either.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

:shock: damn. First heath ledger, now brittney
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Doing some looking around, there reports that she had "flu-like symptoms" before she died.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

I never would have thought the year of celebrity death (as I've unofficially named 2009) would end with her, of all people.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

AMT wrote:I never would have thought the year of celebrity death (as I've unofficially named 2009) would end with her, of all people.
Why not? It's not as if it was likely to be anyone anybody recognized.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

AMT wrote:I never would have thought the year of celebrity death (as I've unofficially named 2009) would end with her, of all people.
Well for starters there are still ten days left for another celebrity to die so it hasn't officially ended with her yet. That and while she may be unlikely that is moreso a reflection of just how many "celebrities" there are out there. Given that there are roughly 2,4 million deaths every year in the US its not exactly a stretch to say any one particular death is one you "wouldn't have thought of."
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

*sigh*
I meant out of all the celebrities out there who do shit with their lives, drugs, drinking, smoking, bad eating habits, etc., it's surprising that the one who bites the dust is a 30-something presumably healthy woman with no discernible vices (at least none confirmed yet), with a lack of injury or violence.

Better? :?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Someone should really make a pro-active educational effort, or something, to try and stop these celebrity deaths by dissuading them from taking poor lifestyle health choices and by promoting healthy - or at least non-destructive - living. Not that Brittany Murphy didn't die from natural causes or anything, but a shitload of other celebrities did end up dying because of less natural and more preventable causes - ala Heath and Micheal Jackson. Kinda sucks that they keep on dying in their 30s or, well, well before their expiry date.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I just heard on the radio today that Brittany had type-2 diabetes, and had already been hospitalized for it once this year. According to the doctor in the story, sudden or severe insulin imbalance could stress the body enough to cause cardiac arrest.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

So she wasn't so healthy after all; she wasn't exactly pilling on the pounds, drug taking or/and an unlucky fault in her DNA more likely played their part in her contracting diabetes.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Update at TMZ.com.
Brittany Murphy's husband and mother made a frantic attempt to revive her before paramedics arrived ... this according to notes written by an investigator from the L.A. County Coroner's office. And, there were a shocking number of strong prescription meds on Brittany's nightstand.

TMZ has reviewed the documents, written by Investigator Blacklock. According to his notes, Brittany Murphy "had been complaining of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain" for 7 to 10 days prior to her death. According to the notes, Murphy went into the bathroom at around 7:30 AM Sunday and shut the door.

A half hour later Brittany's mother, Sharon Murphy, went to check on her daughter, opened the bathroom door and "discovered the decedent lying on the floor unresponsive." According to the notes, Sharon yelled for help. Brittany's husband, Simon Monjack, who was in bed, heard the screams and ran to the bathroom.

According to the notes, Sharon called 911 and Simon "attempted to revive the decedent by placing her in the shower and running the water."

The notes continue -- "The decedent remained unresponsive and purged her stomach contents prior to the arrival of the paramedics."

When the paramedics arrived, Brittany was "without signs of life."

Paramedics moved Brittany from the bathroom to the master bedroom, where they found a slew of prescription drugs -- "A check of the nightstands revealed large amounts of prescription medication in the decedent's name. Also noted were numerous empty prescription medication bottles in the decedent's husband's name, the decedent's mother's name and unidentified third party names."

According to the notes, the medications included Topamax (anti-seizure meds also to prevent migraines), Methylprednisolone (anti-inflammatory), Fluoxetine (depression med), Klonopin (anxiety med), Carbamazepine (treats Diabetic symptoms and is also a bipolar med), Ativan (anxiety med), Vicoprofen (pain reliever), Propranolol (hypertension, used to prevent heart attacks), Biaxin (antibiotic), Hydrocodone (pain med) and miscellaneous vitamins.

The notes say, "No alcohol containers, paraphernalia or illegal drugs were discovered."

According to the notes, "The night prior to her death, the decedent had consumed some noodles, leftover Thai food, Gatorade, water and tea with lemon."

The notes also say Brittany had a history of hypoglycemia and was hospitalized in April 2009 for low blood sugar while on location in Oregon."

Monjack told the investigator during the 7 to 10 days prior to her death, Brittany complained of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pains but he was not overly alarmed because "she often suffered from severe menstrual pains."

Brittany MurphyThe investigator spoke with police at the scene, who told him "foul play is not suspected."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The shortness of breath is rather ominous in retrospect. That's a hefty collection of prescription drugs, but taken responsibly and for good reason not necessarily particularly dangerous. Note, too, that nothing in that list indicates that those drugs were all for one person - that may well be a catalog of every drug found on the premises, which would have been for at least three people.

Hypoglycemia can be a complication of diabetes and is potentially fatal if severe.

Sudden heart arrhythmia can be fatal

She might have had some sort of infection (belly pain, shortness of breath) that proved fatal.

A blood clot in the wrong place could also potentially produce such symptoms prior to being fatal.

That in addition to a potentially lethal drug combination situation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

as I like to point out every so often on the speculation on these sorts of threads, most celebs actually die from crashes, or common illness. Of course basically being that combination of extroversion and getting far more attention then they can posibly deal with, is enough to stress any brain/heart combo out.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I saw this the other day. I didn't realise she was the voice on one of the "King of the hill" characters. Its speculation at this point until we get more from the autopsy, although I do remember an article where her husband didn't want the coroner to perform an autopsy. I am not quite sure what is up with that.

I find it interesting the claim that she had type II diabetes when looking at her she is really thin whereas type II's are usually overweight. Moreover she doesn't appear to be on any diabetic medications *(although it could be diet controlled).

* before someone jumps in with the carbamazepine that can be given to control neuropathic pain, which can be a complication of diabetes. Although generally they have to have poorly controlled sugars for some time before developing this complication.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.