4%
None
34%

Total votes: 91

Elessar
Padawan Learner

Re: How Much Television do you Watch?

Post by Elessar »

Mayabird wrote:Our TV is only for gaming. If there's something we really, really want to watch, we can probably catch it online.

I know SDN isn't a representative sample of the population at all, but are more people ditching their TVs or TV viewing these days when they can get internet instead?
Internet definitely provides me all the entertainment.

I watch about 8 or so hours over the course of the week, but all of it is downloaded. The TV is only hooked up to game consoles and a media center that grabs selected TV shows.

With the speed of torrents for new shows, the internet is better than On Demand services from cable providers.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

I can't believe I'm the only one in the 18-28 category. I thought 2.5hrs / day was the average?
If you split it between dvd/downloaded and live broadcasts/recorded of TV, I think it's around 16 / 4 hrs respectively. With a huge shift towards the first category in the past two years (bye, bye ad breaks!) .
Foggy NotGood
Redshirt

Post by Foggy NotGood »

I'd say currently 8-16hours a week, but I'm working on cutting back to /maybe/ one or two weekly shows. Granted, having DVR helps, or doesn't depending on your point of view. Yes I can watch shows I may have missed other wise, but I spend way too much time doing so.
"There's a hate inside of me like some kind of master
I tried to save you, but I can't find the answer
I'm holding onto you, I'll never let go
I need you with me as I enter the shadows" -Shadows, Red
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I actively watch maybe ten hours of TV per week, but I keep it on as background noise when I'm surfing the internet a lot of the time.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanks to my DVR I watch more TV than I have in recent years, but I spend less time doing it. Live sporting events are the only type of show I feel compelled to watch during the time they actually air.

I'd also say that I watch a lot more in the fall and winter (even though I live in Southern California that's still a no-brainer) and that for the few months during the summer when nothing new is on and it is warmer outside I hardly watch TV programming at all.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

By TV, I assume you mean broadcast, so I picked zero hours. I never watch that, but I watch one or two movies a week, so that comes out to an average of about three hours a week, with my friends.
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Hmm, if I had to say, I'd guess about 2 hours a day on weekdays, with a lot of that being kiddy stuff with my son (which borderlines on just being the television on while we play around on the bed), and maybe 4 hours a day on weekends, though, I spend a lot more time playing computer games with the television on.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

When I lived at home with my folks I watched a scary amount of TV, even if the TV was only on as background noise.

Since I moved in with my girlfriend we watch little or no TV, all that we really have to see is How I met Your Mother, House, Heroes, V and Big Bang Theory and we down load them. My big shiny TV that was my pride and joy last summer is now only used as PC monitor.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
momochan
Youngling

Post by momochan »

I don't own a TV, although I have a projector and DVD player for movies on Saturday night only. I watch a few minutes of TV per week when I'm on the cardio machines at the gym, and that's about all I can stand.
BTW, I can still fit into wool pants I bought when I was 18 y.o. (and let's just say that was some time ago); if I still had a TV I wonder about that.
"If you had fought like a man, you would not have had to die like a dog."
-said the swashbuckling Anne Bonney to her pirate lover "Calico" Jack Rackham, as he was awaiting the gallows in a Nassau jail. Only Bonney and one other crew member were left on deck fighting during a sea battle with authorities in which Rackham surrendered.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I use my TV almost exclusively for gaming and the occasional Bluray. If I want to watch an actual TV show I'll get it off the internet; I want to avoid stupid commercials as much as humanly possible, thank you. Though there's very few shows anymore I actually make the effort to download or stream, so about 3-6 hours a week for me, if that.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I don't own a TV, my console is hooked up to a PC monitor.

I voted none because although I do occassionally watch something downloaded, it is very sporadic and uncommon.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Mayabird wrote:I know SDN isn't a representative sample of the population at all, but are more people ditching their TVs or TV viewing these days when they can get internet instead?
Maybe, but in our case, my wife and I both grew up in the Evangelical counterculture without a TV. We liked that aspect of it, so we want to give our children the same experience.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Maybe someone versed in statistics can do an informal board survey on how much the internet has taken TVs place.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I don't watch television that's been broadcast over the air, and I can't even recall the last time I did. However, like many here, I do watch a few shows from the internet. SGU, The Clone Wars, The Colbert Report, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, and a couple of times a week some friends come over and we watch Star Trek. The thought of having to sit through multiple minutes of commercials several times a show is completely foreign to me at this point.

We actually have a tv, but it's only used for gaming and streaming the occasional show from the PC.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

Resinence wrote:I don't even own a TV :)
How old are you? I'm guessing past 50's. I know that someone else in Australia who doesn't own one, and the last movie he went to see was 2001 in 1968
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

There isn't a lot I like on, almost nothing really. I watching In Treatment on demand, so for me it's either on-demand. SGU is the only show I watch regularly now.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I selected 18-28 hours, but when I think about it more carefully it's probably something like 12-18 hours a week on average. Nearly everything from a DVR, so that I can skip the commercials. Nearly half of it are documentaries (I'm a documentary junkie), perhaps one or two movies (mostly classics, but also some newer films which I did not want to pay for). T:SCC is still being shown here, so I watch that, SG1 re-runs (don't have the DVDs) and the Mentalist. Some miniseries (currently Rebus). Mythbusters and Top Gear. Oh, and Absolutely Fabulous re-runs for the second time. I'm working on my Bubble impersonation. A bit difficult, considering I'm a tall and overweight male.

We don't get many TV shows legally on the net (mostly old Finnish shows only) and I don't pirate, so I don't watch much downloaded or streaming content. I do watch BluRays and DVDs, which I mostly rent first and only buy what I really like.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

3-6 hours, but mostly that means watching stuff on youtube. I spend an excessive amount of time there.

I used to be really addicted to the tv, but I've weened myself off of it. Unless there's some foreign films on, or big blockbusters that I've always wanted to see, I just don't turn it on. Now the internet...if I didn't have the internet, I'd struggle. I've gone for month or so without access to the computer at all, and it certainly gives you a lot of free time...but never again my precious. :)
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I watch 3 to 6 hours a week of TV shows on my computer, probably 2 hours of TV on the weekend (documentaries).
salm wrote:Practically none. I threw my television out a couple of years ago. If i want to see a soccer match i go to down to the bar. I watch DVDs with my girlfriend or mates, though and am happy with the way it is so i don´t do anything to change it. :)

A couple of weeks ago i was at a friends place and i noticed that i really can´t watch TV anymore without getting agressive. The permanent advertisment is one thing that makes my finger nails curl but the even more important thing is that the shows are made to entertain retards by showing off even more retarded retards. We saw "Germany´s got talent" and i can only picture it as pack of special ed dropouts beating up a kid with down syndrome. It´s so stupid that i can´t even laugh about it. It´s just sad. I actually found it a lot worse than the "kick me in the balls" show from Idiocracy.
That's RTL/Sat1 for you. The only channels I bother watching are ntv (when there's a good documentary), Vox (SpiegelTV docs on the weekend). The rest is stupid, as bad as TV in North America. Daytime German TV is just as shitty as Daytime NA TV.
Rochey
Youngling

Post by Rochey »

I'd say around 3 - 6 hours. There are only two shows I watch regularly anymore (Mythbusters and Stargate Universe), but occasionally I might flick through the documentary channels to see if there's anything interesting on.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I stopped watching TV in college when I stopped having digital cable, and when the wonders of the internet and online gaming hit me full force. When I moved to Korea, I made double sure that I had internet, but I didn't give two shits about cable. Basically, I don't watch TV. I'd only watch it if I were with a friend, in which case it'd be worth it for commentary.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I don't own a television, but I watch some stuff on Hulu. It's less than three hours a week on average, though.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

[R_H] wrote:
That's RTL/Sat1 for you. The only channels I bother watching are ntv (when there's a good documentary), Vox (SpiegelTV docs on the weekend). The rest is stupid, as bad as TV in North America. Daytime German TV is just as shitty as Daytime NA TV.
You know, i used to think that the state channels were fine. And while they´re still better than all the private garbage, at least ZDF is heading in the direction of private broadcasting crap. ARD and especially it´s third programs (WDR, MDR NDR...) have a couple of decent things running. I guess that´s because the thirds are relaively small and are partially used as experimentational fields. However, even there most stuff is boring or stupid. At least they don´t have any commercials.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

salm wrote:
You know, i used to think that the state channels were fine. And while they´re still better than all the private garbage, at least ZDF is heading in the direction of private broadcasting crap. ARD and especially it´s third programs (WDR, MDR NDR...) have a couple of decent things running. I guess that´s because the thirds are relaively small and are partially used as experimentational fields. However, even there most stuff is boring or stupid. At least they don´t have any commercials.
I can't really comment on the other channels, other than the large numbers of food-related programs they seem to show. If you turn on the TV at around 18h00 on a weekday, there's bound to be a couple of cooking shows on. I definitely agree that there's a lot of boring shit on, especially some of those artsy talk shows.

I get the biggest kick out of ntv Deluxe. "Lets make a show for rich people to show off how rich they are!"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I can tell you that one of the things that is putting me off of broadcast/cable TV is the constant repetition in the daily schedules: the same fucking programmes airing three, four, and even five different times a day. Take BBC America, for instance, which once actually did show a lot of neat British programmes and a nice mix of them as well: comedies, dramas, action/adventure, documentaries. Now, it's just about all reality shows all the goddamned time and it is, for the most part, unwatchable now. They've taken to showing a movie in three back-to-back airings on some Saturdays or Sundays, which is fine if you want to see that movie (and assuming that you don't already have it on DVD uncut, of course) but when it crowds out any other programme that could air, it becomes annoying. Many of the other cable networks aren't much better anymore either. Variety is dead in programming now. It's just the same shit looped endlessly.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)