Weird books that you have

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Weird books that you have

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

"Gentle Measures in the Training of the Young" or "The Principles on which a Firm Parental Authority may be Established and Maintained, without Violence or Anger and the Right Development of the Moral and Mental Capacities be Promoted by Methods in Harmony with the Structure and the Characteristics of the Juvenile Mind", which is a book on child-rearing from 1899.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:"Gentle Measures in the Training of the Young" or "The Principles on which a Firm Parental Authority may be Established and Maintained, without Violence or Anger and the Right Development of the Moral and Mental Capacities be Promoted by Methods in Harmony with the Structure and the Characteristics of the Juvenile Mind", which is a book on child-rearing from 1899.
That's a very, very long title. The book must be large or the letters small.

More seriously, does it give illustrated guide how to beat the shit out of a kid or is it actually useful?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Um... Am I doing this right? Hope so...

I have "The art of war" by Sun Zi/Sun Bin published by People's China Publishing House, 1995 (isbn 7-80065-510-5). The interesting thing is that the book is printed in three languages: The original chinese, modern chinese and in english.

An old one would be "Das Werden im Weltall" ("The development/state of Cosmos") by Felix Linke, from 1910. When you read a book about astronomy, and it's written in german gothic font, you kinda know it's outdated. :D

I have also printed out "Conquest" by M. Wong and bound it, so that I could read it in bed. (Maybe not so weird, but kinda unique?)

My last submission does not have a weird title, but the book itself is weirdness squared... "Der Prozess" ("The trial") by Franz Kafka (isbn 3-596-20676-6).
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Erec et Enide by Chretien De Troyes. (Trans. by Dorothy Gilbert)
One of the first Authurian romances, composed circa 1170 C.E.

All About Horses
Yeah, I was horse-crazy when I was young. This is the book I'd read constantly, to seem like I knew what I was talking about when gushing over horses.

Davy Jones' Haunted Locker
A collection of some of the spookiest tales of the haunts and perils of the Seven Seas. Some of them scared me more than Steven King.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

All About Horses
Yeah, I was horse-crazy when I was young. This is the book I'd read constantly, to seem like I knew what I was talking about when gushing over horses.
Why do girls love horses? I don't understand, but my judgement is... clouded. My first ride ended with me forced to come up with the emergency dismount on my own.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I have:

The Six Secret Teachings on the Way of Strategy, by the T'ai Kung
Renaissance Swordsmanship and Medieval Swordsmanship by John Clements
A grammar and dictionary of Pennsylvania Dutch
A 1957 reprint of Graves' The Greek Myths, in two volumes
Cracker: The Cracker Culture in Florida History (recommended to me by one of my professors)
A signed copy of Piers Anthony's For Love of Evil
A 1958 copy of the NATO treaty, published in the Netherlands (but in English)
A 1924 translation of the Pistis Sophia
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

- The Worst band In the Universe by Graeme Base It had interesting art and came with a CD copy of the concert described in the book. I still listen to the CD now and then.
- The entire Lemony Snickett series including the Unauthorized Autobiography
- That Xmen/TNG crossover that Hawkeye mentioned

I'm sure there's more, but all my books are in boxes scattered around my apartment. Why do girls love horses so much? I have nothing against them mind you , but it seems like every girl I've ever known went through a period where they were obsessed with them to some degree.
Samuel wrote:History of the World Volumes 1,2 and 3. Copyright 1890
That sounds like an interesting read. Would you consider parting with them? :D
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Do you know what your children are reading? The first half is scaremongering about the various secular evils to be found in libraries (also it mentioned how D&D leads to satanism and suicide), and the second half is instructions on how to get books banned. It's fun to read some of the wackier passages from the book aloud. I picked it up for pennies at a library book sale.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Samuel wrote:
All About Horses
Why do girls love horses? I don't understand, but my judgement is... clouded. My first ride ended with me forced to come up with the emergency dismount on my own.
Probably something to do with having a large, powerful animal obey your every whim... but then they grow up and find boyfriends and men.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

3rd & 4th edition of the RCA Radiotron Designer's Handbook.
GET TOUGH by Captain W E Fairbairn
History of Knuckle Dusters: The Ultimate Close-Quarters Weapon by David Grant
Structured Finance & Collateralized Debt Obligations by Janet Tavakoli
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I have a manga of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Water Margin in Chinese.

I also have the 1st through 4th grade summer homework textbooks for Chinese students. They have weird stories in them. One of their favourites is about some brave young trooper leading the Japanese into the 8th army's ambush and then getting killed by the Japanese (but being a hero and a trooper, dammit!).
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Zixinus wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:"Gentle Measures in the Training of the Young" or "The Principles on which a Firm Parental Authority may be Established and Maintained, without Violence or Anger and the Right Development of the Moral and Mental Capacities be Promoted by Methods in Harmony with the Structure and the Characteristics of the Juvenile Mind", which is a book on child-rearing from 1899.
That's a very, very long title. The book must be large or the letters small.

More seriously, does it give illustrated guide how to beat the shit out of a kid or is it actually useful?
Dude did you even read the title? It's about how to raise your kid WITHOUT beating the shit out of them.

I should actually sit down and read some of it some time.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

That sounds like an interesting read. Would you consider parting with them?
Probably not- it wouldn't survive transit anyway. The bindings are already mostly disentigrated. I can give you some idea of the contents...

Within the present century the motives or writing History have been greatly intensified. First of all, the vision of the historian has been considerably widened by the enlargement of geographical knowledge and the establishment of the hitherto uncertain limits of cities and states.

It has come to pass that the average citizen, who, in the United States at least is expected to have accurate general views on historical questions, may reasonably plead in bar that the historians, by not considering the limits of his time and opportunity, have put the required knowledge beyond his reach.

Be it far from me to say aught in disparagement of the learned labors of our great historians. They have fairly deserved the plaudits of mankind. It can not be denied however that the best of our historical works are by excess of learning and that dissertive dispositions of the writters quite incommensorate with the demands and I may say the needs of the common reader.

It has been my purpose, in the preparation of these volumes, to popularize the subject without losing sight of the dignity and importance of the historian's office. The People are as much entitled to accurate inormation, concisely and graphically conveyed, as scholars are entitled to elaborate discussion. It is a most pernicious error to admit that a true epitome of History can be hastily and easily prepared. Such a work, when conscientiously undertaken, requires the greatest care and the highest skill in execution.

In preparing the present work, I have reely availed mysel of the best and most recent authorities. The names of Wilkinson, Brugsch, Bunsen, Ebers, Dunker, Rawlinson, Smith, Curtis, Grote, Niebuhr, Falke, Mommsen, and Von Ranke will suggest the secondary sources which have been relied upon; and these names are the guarentees for the undamental accuracy o this narrative.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Lusankya wrote:I also have the 1st through 4th grade summer homework textbooks for Chinese students. They have weird stories in them. One of their favourites is about some brave young trooper leading the Japanese into the 8th army's ambush and then getting killed by the Japanese (but being a hero and a trooper, dammit!).
I've read that story! Or a variant of it anyways. Always the 8th army in those stories.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Broomstick wrote:Hey, I got a book on goetic evocation! (That's "how to raise demons" for you mundanes) If you ever want to lose the angels and demons part of your bookshelf let me know, it would like the company.
Thanks, but I try not to participate in dark evocations, even in jest. That's how horror movies start.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Hey, I got a book on goetic evocation! (That's "how to raise demons" for you mundanes) If you ever want to lose the angels and demons part of your bookshelf let me know, it would like the company.
Thanks, but I try not to participate in dark evocations, even in jest. That's how horror movies start.
Funnily enough, the beginning of the film Ghoulies actually features the actors reading from the Goetia, or something very similar to it. I sure hope Broomstick checks her toilet for Ghoulies before going.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Funnily enough, the beginning of the film Ghoulies actually features the actors reading from the Goetia, or something very similar to it. I sure hope Broomstick checks her toilet for Ghoulies before going.
But of course - and there's the added benefit of never being caught with the toilet seat in the wrong position and getting my ass dunked!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote:
Samuel wrote:
All About Horses
Probably something to do with having a large, powerful animal obey your every whim... but then they grow up and find boyfriends and men.
There's probably been a study done on it somewhere... but that's as good a reason as I've heard, since the fixation does usually end about the time you get your first boyfriend :lol:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Two books that I can't remember where I got them.

One is a thin hardback book from about 1875. It's called "The Kingdom of Fife" and seems like an almanac/trade directory/mini history of the area known as the Kingdom of Fife (obviously).

Another book is one from 1943 called "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers". Its a directory of fighting aircraft from the major powers and includes territories like Vichy France and aircraft that had been built pre-war by nations like Holland. Each description also has a technical drawing as well. I think its a sourcebook for making flying models.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:So many books its not even funny;

[...]
Secrets of the Vatican
Necronomicon

Fun stuff.
Wait, wait, the Necronomicon is actually a book? I thought it was just something that HP Lovecroft made up.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

'Jack the Ripper a psychic investigation' despite every single concept inside being absolute Shiite this book turned out to be very useful in writing a dissertation on the subject due to the incredible amount of photocopyable images and newspaper exerts it contained.

'The Klingon Dictionary' nuq Daq 'oH Qe' QaQ'e' ~ where is a good restaurant. Nuff said.

'Ted Smart Children's Illustrated Atlas' hey the countries are all still where they were then, and those cartoon lions offer informative facts. That and Im too cheap to buy an 'adult' atlas just to remove the word children's from the title.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Master of Ossus wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:So many books its not even funny;

[...]
Secrets of the Vatican
Necronomicon

Fun stuff.
Wait, wait, the Necronomicon is actually a book? I thought it was just something that HP Lovecroft made up.
The egyptian funeary text The Book of the Dead exists, but doesn't speak to the Lovecraftian mythos. The Necronomicon was compiled by Lovecraft's students using all the hints dropped in his various works and written in the same vein. The actual other is unknown, and it bases a good chunk of its mythos on sumerian mythology. It was first published in 1977.

Its a fun read, and has good diagrams.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

UTas library had a huge ancient (looked very early 20th Century at the latest) leatherbound copy of "The Book of the Dead". I always felt like there should be lightning and thunder every time I looked at it.

As for the weirdest books in my library

A Time For Decision by Sumner Welles

Joe Clark: A Portrait - Canadians should know who this is (probably). I have no idea how or where I got this book.

Rocks and Minerals in Thin Section - a little pocket sized (almost) book of colour plates for microscopic identification of rocks and minerals.

Position A Day: Sex every day in a naughty, naughty way - A very fun little picture book.

Sex Lives of the Roman Emperors by Nigel Cawthorne - one of my most recent additions, in my "to read" pile, but looks fun.

I've got all the staples like Sun Tzu, Musashi and also stuff like all 8 hardcover volumes of Gibbon's "Decline and Fall".

I'm missing one volume of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, I've got a 1st ed of Len Deighton's "Bomber" without dust jacket (boo hiss).

And to my shame (though I bought it merely for the purposes of reading for mocking I have a David Irving book Trial of the Fox.

I think there's plenty more (haven't gone into my RPG collections or other obscurities), but that's a not entirely complete list of the weird.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

sketerpot wrote:Do you know what your children are reading? The first half is scaremongering about the various secular evils to be found in libraries (also it mentioned how D&D leads to satanism and suicide), and the second half is instructions on how to get books banned. It's fun to read some of the wackier passages from the book aloud. I picked it up for pennies at a library book sale.
Am I the only one who finds these two facts here oddly hilarious? :)
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Just had a glance around, and I also have that book Froud did - the Goblins of the Labyrinth. Something like 5,000 printed in the original run, if I recall, and of course, that's when mine dates to. It's just a really fun book to crack open when you're planning a DnD game with a lot of Goblin enemies, and the Games Workshop guys cracked it open for Ogre Kingdoms - the Gnoblars.

I also have a book called The Flight of Dragons, which is all about trying to work out how the common representation of a dragon could fly using SCIENCE! Seriously. It's not entirely accurate, but it does provide an interesting viewpoint as to why dragons can, a, fly, b, breathe fire, and c, have acidic blood.

I have a high school guide to nuclear chemistry from the 1950s for some reason, and in storage elsewhere a collection of newspapers from the 1800s, along with maps of British shipping routes in the 1800s.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A